Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:57 AM

11,554 posts, read 53,137,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Sunsprit I have made an assertion that most trucks on the road cannot maintain 80mph.

And I never asserted that all can and do so.

But many in this area of the country do when and where they can, as I have seen repeatedly day-in/day-out on the road.

Most of the large fleet trucks are governed around 65mph.

And I have provided lots of references to how the drivers can and do defeat these governors in the interests of gaining miles per day or better time utilization, among other factors influencing their decision to drive faster.

I never said all trucks are governed at that speed (all Canadian trucks are governed at 100kmh or 63mph).

Here again, you're blowing hot air ... With I-25 being the major N-S route across North America (esp Canada-Mexico transit), and I-80 being a substantial route E-W, we see a substantial number of Canadian licensed semi's through this crossroads area of the USA.

Many of those Canadian semi's are among the ones that are passing my 65 mph cruising RV. Again, I can see the DOT info and names on the sides of the truck, there's no mistaking their Canadian origins.

How your personal stories prove me wrong?

Obviously, my observations and lots of windshield time spent driving these highways is irrelevant to your thinking. Everything I do is wrong, according to you. I can't measure or judge relative speeds properly even with a GPS on my dash. I can't read the names of the trucks painted on them or the trailers, either, to your satisfaction.

You can sit at your computer in the comfort of your Mom's basement in your PJ's and you KNOW better than what I see everyday, right?

The fact is that most trucks driving I-80 or any other interstate cannot pass you cruising at 75mph in your RV. That is why being passed by 80mph truck is so memorable. It would be nice for you to provide some statistics. December 2nd, a leisurely 3 hours drive at 75 mph, 150 trucks passed me. Just an example.

As for saving fuel, it is not the only reason Prime etc. is so annoying. Nobody saves fuel by braking to 55mph on a downgrade you can safely descend at 70mph, you waste both fuel and abuse equipment needlessly .

I've repeatedly pointed out that there are far more trucker time/speed/distance considerations to address than simply governing to a maximum speed far below the speed limits of the highways being traveled.

Big and small companies fire drivers for "exceeding critical overspeed". Some, like Prime, take that to the extreme, but the rest are not much better. Driving 80mph downhill in a swift, schneider, etc. truck a few times would certainly get a driver canned. Speed data are collected and processed automatically, drivers red flagged and "mentored". The olden days are gone. Companies not only spy on their drivers 24/7, some install cameras in a cab. One must be absolutely desperate for a job to put up with all of that and much more.
Truck drivers do the work for many reasons. Desperation could be one of them, but I'll bet that most of them do it because it can be good pay for what they want to do. For many, it can be an equipment operator job with a steady income and a way of life.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-02-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,020,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Sunsprit I have made an assertion that most trucks on the road cannot maintain 80mph. Most of the large fleet trucks are governed around 65mph, I never said all trucks are governed at that speed (all Canadian trucks are governed at 100kmh or 63mph).
Do you have links to back up any of this, or are just making it up? Because I don’t think yours is the same reality that most anyone who has driven near trucks would have. Most of us see trucks traveling 80 mph all the time.

Googling: "Canadian trucks governed at 100 km/h” the closest thing I can find was a law in Ontario that required speed limiters for trucks to be set at 105 km/h but that law was declared unconstitutional years ago.

Ontario court declares speed limiters for trucks unconstitutional

Old 12-07-2015, 10:56 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,134,659 times
i'll second that parley's canyon is a freaking derby. it's frightens the hell out of me to drive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues