U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 06:46 AM

722 posts, read 505,617 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm still glad my family is making this move as it's important for many reasons. With that being said, the stresses that coming with moving a family of 4 to a different city in a different state are very real. There is a lot more to deal with and getting things worked out logistically means a lot of phone calls with folks out of state. They usually take place during the day when kids are underfoot and they are conversations that can be lengthy. Packing up a house around holiday time is hectic and getting old house ready to sell is another stressor.
It can be done but I did not realize how much more difficult it is moving with kids and packing up a of 13 years in one location.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:05 AM

4,357 posts, read 5,561,324 times
I have moved with kids - stressful. Now I am trying to move all by myself - widowed, kids not here. It is far and away much more stressful. Making every little decision by yourself, knowing that everything that has to be done is your own responsibility. No one to help you remember or decide. I haven't slept in a week. Horrible. If you are moving as a family, count your blessings.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:12 AM

722 posts, read 505,617 times
Grasshopper,
That doe sound stressful. I'm so sorry. I think big moves are just very, very stressful in general.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,096,619 times
A death in the family, divorce and moving are usually at the top of the list for stress.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:59 PM

338 posts, read 317,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have moved with kids - stressful. Now I am trying to move all by myself - widowed, kids not here. It is far and away much more stressful. Making every little decision by yourself, knowing that everything that has to be done is your own responsibility. No one to help you remember or decide. I haven't slept in a week. Horrible. If you are moving as a family, count your blessings.

I'm in a similar situation - widowed but with 3 school age kids. I just sold my house and am moving nearby into a rental for 6 months....and then moving out of state. I hear you about the stress. Just physically packing is hard, much less worrying about whether I am making the right decision. To top it off, the leasing agent of my new rental is an a-hat making it all the harder. I hope your move is smooth, and you love your new place. I admire you for moving all on your own!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:08 PM

22,120 posts, read 10,275,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Although I have never moved a family, I agree. I am preparing for a move from Colorado Springs to Phoenix around April 1, and it's all up to me and me alone. It's scary.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 PM

I am not one to say I'm doing it right, because if I was, perhaps it would be less stressful. But I can say that I am coming around to telling people who ask, "Yes, I would like your help. Thank you for offering. Would you help me in packing the garage on Saturday?" Not everyone is capable or willing. But there are some who are either wanting very much to help or experienced packers or both. If you don't over-use them, they can save your life. I should have started asking earlier. It doesn't change the fact that I am responsible for everything, from signing papers, to calling utilities and insurance, to getting an oil change before driving across the country, buying boxes, and of course, packing. You all know the myriad of tasks involved. I am trying to concentrate on the fact that in a couple of weeks, I will be there. I will still be in boxes, but not with the pressure of a moving date. And I will be moving forward with my life. I made the decision to move - I wasn't forced. I think it is the right decision, but I knew there would be some months of horribleness. Its true, it is horrible. But I am just working toward a new life, and I know that there are wonderful things that I haven't even imagined out there, in my new home. When I say that people moving as families should count their blessings, I mean it. Because despite the stresses, work and worry, there is also hope, working together toward a goal, supporting each other, sharing the adventure. The last time we moved, it was as a family. It was hard, but it really was a shared adventure, and I keep very cherished memories of it. So how will I remember this move? Judging from experience, I think the horribleness will fade, and later on, I may remember it as an adventure, perhaps my first great adventure on my own. You are right, Phetaroi, it is scary. But I know that surviving scary, challenging things, things that seem too hard to endure, can help you to believe in your own strength, help you to find resources you didn't realize were there, both in yourself and in others.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 AM

14,997 posts, read 21,643,332 times
Moving is stressful no matter what your situation. Grasshopper while I understand what you are saying, you don't always have the help of your family. We moved twice in a year, selling a house, renting house, then buying a house. Literally everything landed on my lap. I had no help from my spouse or kids. I made every decision, had to remember every thing. Spouse travels, kids were in school. Honestly I would have rather have done it solo, you don't have to worry about making sure everyone else is taken care of and doing what they need to do. You are remembering for a family of four.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Moving is stressful no matter what your situation. Grasshopper while I understand what you are saying, you don't always have the help of your family. We moved twice in a year, selling a house, renting house, then buying a house. Literally everything landed on my lap. I had no help from my spouse or kids. I made every decision, had to remember every thing. Spouse travels, kids were in school. Honestly I would have rather have done it solo, you don't have to worry about making sure everyone else is taken care of and doing what they need to do. You are remembering for a family of four.
Wow, with moving twice a year, you are really a professional! I'm sure you are much more organized than I, and that is wonderful. I understand that if you really have your system down, family could be unhelpful if they aren't with the system. I really am not a professional mover, and I am a total novice at doing everything myself. The help I have received has not been from family. It has been from my church and friends. I don't, however, want to compare and start a "I'm more stressed than you" competition. How do I know anyone else's situation or feelings? It really is about helping each other. I was just trying to say that sometimes we do need help.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 PM

1,726 posts, read 3,125,167 times
Moving is so stressful! I moved last summer and my problem was that I tried to do too much. I don't think I will ever move again, but if I do then I will get more help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or