Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 05:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I think yes as you get older some people will never leave even if they want too. However if your in a State and going broke , deep down you got to make that one last effort to get the heck out. So people will get that one last drive to make the change and live with the choice and I think be happy. I know I did not want to get stuck and trapped in my super old age in NJ with all these crazy taxes and estate and inheritance laws. Also I think people who live in remote areas where there is a lot of driving will get the drive to find better situation.
I was on disability. The best I could do there in California was a crummy little over expensive apartment. I don't like apartments and don't like crowding either. I visited a friend here in OK and found out how much cheaper it is. My friends said it will be boring. There's weather. What if this and that. But I liked the idea of fewer people. Everyone has weather, and if it was as doomsday as they made it sound the who place would be empty. And what ifs are just that.

My little house is perfect. It would have been cleared as undesirable out there. I have a lawn and trees instead of neighbors on the other side of the wall. You get used to the weather, and here there is no smog. I LIKE where I live and it was a wonderful choice. I wouldn't want to wait ten years, be in the 70's and decide I couldn't take it.

If you've always wanted to get up and move someplace and you can than DO it. Plan and think but don't assume catastorophy is waiting. Take a chance. You shouldn't stay where you know you don't want to be just because its a scary idea to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 05:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I think yes as you get older some people will never leave even if they want too. However if your in a State and going broke , deep down you got to make that one last effort to get the heck out. So people will get that one last drive to make the change and live with the choice and I think be happy. I know I did not want to get stuck and trapped in my super old age in NJ with all these crazy taxes and estate and inheritance laws. Also I think people who live in remote areas where there is a lot of driving will get the drive to find better situation.
I used to live in California. I'd lived there all my life. But due to health I was on disability, and it got you a crummy little apartment. I hate apartments, too many people, too close. I'd wanted to move away from the crowds and cost for a while. Then I went to visit a friend in Oklahoma. It was amazing. No smog (I can't breath in smog, the IE is packed with it for months). Housing prices cheap and lots of small houses that would get trashed for mansions in California. I surprised everyone when I announced my plans.

But the cost is much less here. There is weather, but its not as daunting as it sounds. I like seasons. and I have all the space I need and grass and a fence outside the window instead of people. I wasn't ready ten years before. When I'm 70 something I don't know if I'll have the stuff to do it. It was the right time and the opportunity was there.

If you can't afford where you live, and you can move, and its got things you wish for, take the chance when you can. My son had already got married and moved too.

If you really don't like where you are don't let fears stop you from moving on.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was on disability. The best I could do there in California was a crummy little over expensive apartment. I don't like apartments and don't like crowding either. I visited a friend here in OK and found out how much cheaper it is. My friends said it will be boring. There's weather. What if this and that. But I liked the idea of fewer people. Everyone has weather, and if it was as doomsday as they made it sound the who place would be empty. And what ifs are just that.

My little house is perfect. It would have been cleared as undesirable out there. I have a lawn and trees instead of neighbors on the other side of the wall. You get used to the weather, and here there is no smog. I LIKE where I live and it was a wonderful choice. I wouldn't want to wait ten years, be in the 70's and decide I couldn't take it.

If you've always wanted to get up and move someplace and you can than DO it. Plan and think but don't assume catastorophy is waiting. Take a chance. You shouldn't stay where you know you don't want to be just because its a scary idea to go.
You know when you get older you don't do much anyway but enjoy your house and basically your backyard so you might as well sit your butt where its cheaper!! Ohh btw, I did, I packed up and left NJ, I saw the writing on the wall, I had the energy to do it so I moved my whole life down to NC. Never looked back but to be honest I don't know if I could have done it in my 70's. I did it much younger. Its not easier the older you get. I can certain see why someone who is 70's or older cant get out. Strike while you have health and energy if you desire to do it.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:29 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Thank you for posting this. It's encouraging.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:15 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Mid-fifties, moved several times in my lifetime, once cross country and back, itching to move again. We did the move ourselves each time, and Yes, it's an incredible amount of work. However, the necessity to de-clutter or "de-crapity" as one poster put it, is freeing in itself. I hate the feeling that I am stagnating, even MORE so the older I get. Fixed routines bore the snot out of me. Fixing up a new home, a new environment, new things to do and see, is revitalizing to me.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:16 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Sorry, I meant "de-crapify", if that is even a real term, but I like it! We all get so burdened down by "stuff".

Old 12-25-2015, 04:51 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
" Downsizing is a horrible task!!"

On the contrary, downsizing is freeing; liberating! Most households are stuffed to the gills with needless crap.

"... wife is emotionally attached to the antiques she inherited from her grandmother. It makes zero sense to me but I don't want to fight the battle. She will not get rid of that stuff...I have a vision of several huge dumpsters on the front drive filled with that stuff. It's inevitable."

Vision 67, let your wife read what you wrote, and tell her "you can't take it with you." The 1-800-GOTJUNK guys will have a field day with her excess!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:07 PM

181 posts, read 493,690 times
Not at all. Am looking forward to leaving the cold climate I'm now living in for a warmer area when I retire in 3 or 4 years. Would live in India if I could.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:47 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yep we will move again one more time to retire in florida near our kids . I will be 65 and the husband will be 64 and we will hire help to load us and unload us and be done with it .

Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 AM

86 posts, read 88,449 times
Now 53, we are planning on moving back to my home state of Ct from NH this summer. I have to admit to being a little more hesitant then when I was a bit younger and it seems a little more daunting to move and set up again even if it is a place we want to be. we take it a step at a time, saving money, going through things to keep or get rid of, checking out job prospects and rentals and things like that so it's a smooth transition.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues