Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 10:59 AM

128 posts, read 245,931 times

Advertisements

As I'm getting ready for another stage of purging, I'm finding it very difficult to decide what to keep vs. sell. For instance, there are several pieces of furniture that I have that I am not crazy about but that I also wouldn't want to spend the money to buy another of if moving them will be cheaper (i.e. nondescript, cheap dining set and bed frame). Whether to take it or not would depend on how much $$ it adds to the overall moving costs. Anyone have any idea how I could calculate this? I'm having the same trouble with small items such as boxes of brand new office supplies.

This is the first time in my life I'm moving an entire house's worth of stuff and am finding it quite mind boggling. Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:05 AM

22,653 posts, read 36,690,587 times
it will be cheaper to move them than to buy new. You also have to have the will, time and knowledge of where to go, and fast, in your new location to replace the items you would be discarding (unless you aren't currently using them at all in which case you should ditch them - but do you really want to spend your first day in your new location looking for the bed you're going to sleep in that night?)

When we moved the only things we needed that I ditched were things I absolutely knew I didn't want anymore (my 15 year old dishes come to mind) and I bought them when I got there. We also had a chair that was pretty much shot that we left behind. Would've had plenty of room for that chair, but it wasn't going to hold up much longer anyway. Dining set? I was ready to replace that too, but we needed a place to eat every night and shopping for a new set in the first days we got to our new home was certainly low on my list of things I wanted/needed to do.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:07 AM

7,234 posts, read 7,038,123 times
There are online calculators that will estimate for you based on the items you say you are moving. But that only generally gives you cost, not value.

As a general rule furniture is cheaper to move than replace, unless you are talking about cheap sauder stuff that would probably be damaged in shipping anyway. It's the little stuff that takes up boxes and boxes that are more expensive to move.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 AM

128 posts, read 245,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
it will be cheaper to move them than to buy new. You also have to have the will, time and knowledge of where to go, and fast, in your new location to replace the items you would be discarding (unless you aren't currently using them at all in which case you should ditch them - but do you really want to spend your first day in your new location looking for the bed you're going to sleep in that night?)

When we moved the only things we needed that I ditched were things I absolutely knew I didn't want anymore (my 15 year old dishes come to mind) and I bought them when I got there. We also had a chair that was pretty much shot that we left behind. Would've had plenty of room for that chair, but it wasn't going to hold up much longer anyway. Dining set? I was ready to replace that too, but we needed a place to eat every night and shopping for a new set in the first days we got to our new home was certainly low on my list of things I wanted/needed to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
There are online calculators that will estimate for you based on the items you say you are moving. But that only generally gives you cost, not value.

As a general rule furniture is cheaper to move than replace, unless you are talking about cheap sauder stuff that would probably be damaged in shipping anyway. It's the little stuff that takes up boxes and boxes that are more expensive to move.
Great responses, thank you. The furniture in question is extremely cheap and might get damaged, but, as Twingles says, I'd rather use a damaged bed and dining table and find replacements at my own pace than have to rush and find something upon moving.

Great points to consider.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:44 AM

50,223 posts, read 63,722,512 times
You will get only pennies on the dollar if you sell or donate your furniture. I would get rid of everything you know you do not want to use in your new place. It is true that moving is expensive, but it is by weight, so something like a bed is cheap, big heavy dressers are expensive, etc.
I moved way too much last time, but I truly did not know which furniture I would fit in best, so I got rid of stuff after I got here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues