U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 PM

14,605 posts, read 8,417,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
Yes, this is where reasonable risk analysis comes in. If it's a small item that's quite pricey, perhaps it makes more sense to sale at an online site like ebay rather than meeting someone in a well-lit public space. Keep in mind that grab and dashes can happen for both the seller and the buyer.
That's how I figured the benefit of selling to me. Can I fetch more for the item by selling on eBay? eBay is a PITA for selling items that are inexpensive. I don't sell items that cost less than $50, because I have the hassle of listing the item, taking pictures, shipping the item, and there is always the risk of receiving negative feedback from buyers. And sellers cannot leave buyers negative feedback in return, even if they don't pay

I don't usually sell large, heavy items on eBay, but I made one exception and came out way ahead. I attempted to sell a mint condition Polaris inflatable kayak for $600 in a garage sale and was lowballed like crazy. My wife begged me to sell it on eBay for her, and I reluctantly agreed, as long as she agreed to lug that sucker to FedEx, pack it up, and ship it herself. She did, and we sold it for over $800 plus the $150 actual shipping cost the buyers agreed to pay, so we didn't lose money mailing the heavy item. It made us a lot more money than the $0 it was making us collecting dust in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:16 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,331,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I ended up selling a few things from the house when I was alone. I wasn't supposed to be alone, but that's how it turned out. They were items small or light enough for me to move but not carry, so I put them on the porch and sat out there until the person showed up. The front door was locked. I called a relative (planned when I found out I'd be alone) when the person pulled up in front of the house and told them to call me in about five minutes. Then I could say, "Can I call you back in a few minutes? The guy from craigslist is here picking up the filing cabinet. Yeah, the guy from the next town. I'll call you back as soon as he leaves." If the person had seemed creepy, I would have stayed on the phone.

In each case we'd had at least several email exchanges and I had a cell number. I asked them to call if they couldn't find my house. A lot of people can't find my house because of the goofy street numbers. The people who came here just wanted to buy something which they wanted or needed for a very reasonable price. All but one person was very nice, relaxed, conversational. That guy seemed very nervous and looked a bit spooked. His eyes were darting around, and I think he was waiting to be ambushed. By whom, I don't know.

Biggest problems I had were the people who didn't have correct change and the one who said he thought I'd confirmed a lower price. Nope. There were two people in his truck, and they both coughed up some cash. Close third was the woman picking up two bookcases who didn't bring her son who was supposed to move them. Thankfully, for her, my son was en route to my house for dinner. Be sure to let people know that you aren't loading the large item.
That was his cash, He was just trying to talk you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The sheriff's department substation parking lots here welcome citizens wanting a safe place to meet for craigslist and similar transactions. Call their non-emergency number and ask for ideas.

Yes, even private firearms transactions are welcome.
Most will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Definitely depends on what you're selling. What crowd is it gonna appeal to?
If you're selling books, I have a hard time believing anyone dangerous will show up.
Likewise a stove or a closet door or whatever.

When you start getting into electronics, cars, and other high price items; it's quite possible to run into some shady people.
Try to weed them out through email and/or text and phone.

I've run into two people on CL that I wouldn't care to meet in a dark alley. Nothing terrible happened to me though.
I bought a subwoofer on craigslist a year or two ago and the guy who was selling it to me had a baby in his car and he was like "Yah man, let me show you this bad boy" and he started cranking up the subs with the kid in the back yelling and screaming. He was with a woman who kept telling the baby to be quiet.
They created quite the scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Now a mom, I don't let anyone in my home. I meet in public places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Well, it depends upon the type of items being sold.

Crocheted dolls' clothes in a rural town? No reason to get overly paranoid.

Expensive jewelry in a big city? Don't take chances.

It's pretty simple if you live in a central part of a big city in a huge high-rise... I've bought and sold items via CL (kijiji) and I just met people in the building lobby. They had my buzz number, but no other identifying info about me. We'd do the handoff, and that's it, takes 2 or 3 minutes, lots of other people are around, then g'bye.

If I were selling pricey items alone, and had people straight to my address--and coming to my door--well, I don't think I'd walk into that one. Too easy for a grab-and-dash to happen, even if nothing more serious than that were to happen. I really wouldn't want to take chances. I don't think all the scammers are easy to spot either. Lots of people try to see what they can get away with nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
Yes, this is where reasonable risk analysis comes in. If it's a small item that's quite pricey, perhaps it makes more sense to sale at an online site like ebay rather than meeting someone in a well-lit public space. Keep in mind that grab and dashes can happen for both the seller and the buyer.
All of these suggestions rely on the assumption, that the "criminal" would only be interested in stealing what you are selling on craigslist, and not scoping out for the bigger score of something or someone else in your home.

I'm a 36 yr old, in-shape, and self-defense trained veteran. I have no problem thinking I can defend myself in any situation, but that doesn't mean I'm inviting a stranger into my place just because they say they are interested in a stereo I'm selling.

There are tons of reasons someone could be "looking around"; If you're selling something its probably cause you got (had the money) for a new replacement. Stuff around the house; toys, pictures, school supplies, certain foods, bikes, sports equipment, etc.. tells what age and may indicate how many people live there.

I WILL NEVER INVITE SOME STRANGER TO COME OVER TO MY PLACE TO CHECK THINGS OUT. I try to meet somewhere easy for the buyer/seller and me, but I ONLY meet in public places. Large parking lots like a busy mall or grocery store, or a bank, (somewhere with many people who are constantly going to and from there car, and unable to predict when people are coming in and out). Even a business, (if you don't have someone with you) everyone is usually inside most of the day, only when you get there, leave and lunch is the parking lot busy. Make sure they have the correct amount of cash, or somewhere they can walk right in and get it.

If you absolutely must invite someone to your place;
Try to have a second person there, if its a large item, its probably worth buying your friend or neighbor a six pack or a bottle of wine to hang out while they are there.
STAY ON THE PHONE, with someone and let the stranger here you say something like, "No, theres no need for you to come by, I'm just selling something quick, I will be right there..... Oh shouldn't be 5/10 minutes... (youre also giving an excuse to hurry it up), or "yeah, John will be here, god he never leaves, come on over whenever you want"..
The key to those though is to sell it; If you plan on using a line like that, say it 100 times before they show up. Once you say it enough to where you get tired of saying it, it might sound real.

Letting them into the house is LAST RESORT, I would try to not even let em in the garage. If reasonable, hide anything of value, or anything that lets em know there are kids there. I would much rather move something into the garage, or in the backyard and then move it later after they leave.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:19 PM

191 posts, read 148,067 times
I sell on Craigslist all the time, my 2 cents is: don't worry about all that paranoid "a serial killer will show up on your doorstep" non-sense that's promulgated by the media and internet

Don't worry ..... people on Craigslist are regular everyday people just like you and me. Deal in cash and face-to-face and you shouldn't have any issues

I am a tall male over 6'3" so maybe my perspective is somewhat skewed (compared to a small-sized/puny woman), but personally I've never felt "threatened" or "danger" from any of my customers/visitors.

Personally I've never "met in a public place", either the location has been my place (if I'm selling) or the other person's place (if I'm buying). Although, "meeting in a public place" is a valid option if you're so worried

No, a "serial killer" is NOT likely going to show up at your door Remember that the media/internet love to take tiny, isolated, obscure incidents and make them "front-page news"..... distorting our view of reality.

I will add that having a "throwaway" email address that's used specifically for Craigslist is a wise investment, because there is the odd spam-bot that may send spam/advertisements your way after getting your email address.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 09-08-2016 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 05:17 PM

11,231 posts, read 8,373,983 times
Have a friend over so you're not alone. I bought something off of cl. The lady was alone, had it in her kitchen, and before you know it, was showing me all over the house. I was starting to wonder if I was safe!

Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 PM

473 posts, read 324,333 times
Cops here want us to use police station parking lot for craigslist. People still get mugged doing business at busy gas stations...

Last edited by cattalk1; 09-10-2016 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,689,385 times
I've sold quite a few pricey items on CL - around $450-$600. I usually meet inside a Starbucks. Never in a parking lot or at home. If it's an item that's more likely to attract scammers, I'd meet in a local police department building - they have a large lobby. With specialized stuff like camera gear, you can tell right away if someone isn't who they claim they are, so it's easier to weed the potential scammers out even before you set up a meeting.

The vast majority of people just want to buy or sell something.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,689,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
I sell on Craigslist all the time, my 2 cents is: don't worry about all that paranoid "a serial killer will show up on your doorstep" non-sense that's promulgated by the media and internet

Don't worry ..... people on Craigslist are regular everyday people just like you and me. Deal in cash and face-to-face and you shouldn't have any issues

I am a tall male over 6'3" so maybe my perspective is somewhat skewed (compared to a small-sized/puny woman), but personally I've never felt "threatened" or "danger" from any of my customers/visitors.

Personally I've never "met in a public place", either the location has been my place (if I'm selling) or the other person's place (if I'm buying). Although, "meeting in a public place" is a valid option if you're so worried

No, a "serial killer" is NOT likely going to show up at your door Remember that the media/internet love to take tiny, isolated, obscure incidents and make them "front-page news"..... distorting our view of reality.

I will add that having a "throwaway" email address that's used specifically for Craigslist is a wise investment, because there is the odd spam-bot that may send spam/advertisements your way after getting your email address.
So what are you going to do if someone decides to just grab your stuff and walk away without paying, get in a fight ? At the end of the day, it's your word against theirs, and if the person doesn't have a prior and comes out with a few bruises and a good story to tell, you may end up with a far more expensive problem than losing a sale item. "He took my item and started to walk away without paying". "No, he tried to rob me of my money".

Meet in a public place. This is not so that the people could protect you from a crazed cannibal, but so that you had witnesses in case you're dealing with a crook. Although in years of buying and selling on CL, I only so far met honest, boring everyday people.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 AM

24,842 posts, read 23,772,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
That was his cash, He was just trying to talk you down.
He absolutely was. He said, "So, we agreed on $70?" My final response to him via email was that I wanted $80 dollars, which was as low as I was willing to go. He didn't respond. Maybe he hadn't read it, but I'd already told him that was my final offer.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 PM

4,390 posts, read 5,895,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Have a friend over so you're not alone. I bought something off of cl. The lady was alone, had it in her kitchen, and before you know it, was showing me all over the house. I was starting to wonder if I was safe!
Well, this reminds me of my one kind of scary experience with CL. I was selling all my furniture as I had sold the house and was moving to FL. First item to go on CL was my Pier 1 dining room table and chairs. A young woman came over to look, and I notified my neighbor to keep an eye out. "Tiffany" loved the set and said she wanted it (not even discussing the price), and asked if I had other things to sell....like a bedroom set? She said she was moving into an apartment and needed a bedroom set for her daughter. I showed her the bedroom set, which she also wanted, including the bedding. She was also asking about some other items here and there and wanted all of them. I was thrilled that I was going to get rid of so many items at one time, and apparently for full price! Too easy! She said she had to go to the ATM. That made sense, you can't be too careful showing up with cash.

I give her directions to the ATM, which is three blocks and two turns away. I'm waiting and it's taking too long, and finally I get a text from her saying she got in a fender-bender and is upset and re-thinking the whole situation. Uh, really? Sounds very fishy....and now I'm worried she was just casing the joint.

A week or so later, I'm selling another item of furniture on CL and I get a response from someone with a different name....but the SAME CELLPHONE NUMBER as "Tiffany". The reason I noticed the cellphone number is the exchange was from my old hometown. Okaaaayyy, so now I know it's a scam. I responded and said, "Tiffany, are you feeling better after your accident?". No response, of course.

After that, I started keeping a log of the phone numbers to catch any other potential scammers. (Had no problems after that, though.) And I guess I would also recommend not showing anyone around the rest of the house like dummy me did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues