Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:13 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,672,329 times

Advertisements

I personally would sell it all and buy when moved. Of course mattress and certain things would need to be bought new, I am sure you could really search for a good price. We plan to slowly rebuy things. Living room set and bed will be first priority then slowly buy dining set ect. We have never hired movers and though I know many have good experiences, seems like a headache and pricey to me. I would try to get a couple quotes, then write out how much you could sell furniture for and how much you estimate it costs to repurchase. If not a big difference, id go with selling it all off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 PM

4,964 posts, read 5,219,246 times
I would not pay to move what you are describing. I'd get a new mattress and basic frame at the new place to get started and then search for deals on furniture that fits the layout of your new place. Look at it as a treat. You probably will save money or break even.

Two of our moves were corporate moves that were paid for by the company. I did purge and donate and throw away a bunch of stuff even getting rid of couches and tables. Honestly, if I had to pay for those moves, I may have gotten rid of more. We may be faced with paying for a move in the next year or so. It's affecting my decisions on what I buy and what goes. My husband would like to replace our 17 year old Christmas tree. I've talked him out of for now because it is big and bulky and easy to ditch if we do move. Some of my kid's furniture and mattresses would be easier to replace on the other end if needed. The game room couches would definitely go.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:56 PM

836 posts, read 1,655,046 times
I tried selling before and it was such a flake parade I now just donate/give away all I can; far more satisfying and less stressful.

And dealing with movers can be a nightmare as well and is never cheap.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,336,953 times
If I were going across the country, I wouldn't think of moving furniture. Not unless it was heirloom antique furniture. Unless you have anything like that, don't bother paying to move it. Sell your old furniture on Craigslist. Get what you can for it, then buy new once you're settled in a new place.

You really just need a bed and a kitchen table/chairs for the first couple of months anyway. Save your money and enjoy redecorating once you have time and energy for it.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,231,465 times
Some things I just bought new. There is no way I could sell them anywhere near what they cost. In that instance, I will pay to have them moved. Others, those that aren't new, I will be giving away.

One thing forgotten in the suitcase list; some sort of coffee maker, coffee and whatever you use with it. A wine glass for each person & a decent bottle of wine and opener to celebrate the move. A can opener, coffee cups. Just the things you use when you first get up.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,456,009 times
I would sell everything. I just moved about 110 miles from where I lived and the cheapest quote was $800. Most were $1,200 - $1,400.

When I did a long distance move years ago I sold or donated everything, but my daughters bedroom set and a few small things. The movers charged less then what I paid for her bedroom so that was moved down here. My first stop when arriving was to purchase a bed. I bought new stuff little by little.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,028 times
As a mover, I can say with a high degree of confidence that it's going to be cheaper to buy new things than move it.
First, that's a fair distance. You are looking at at least 1000 for movers and reputable ones might set you back 1500-2000. Depending on how many things you have.
Further, life happens. There is no Gaurantee you'll find a place that you are happy with in 2 weeks. There is a Gaurantee you will be charged for those two weeks by a moving company though.
If it's not replaceable, ship it. You can pack yourself into PODs or such but then your belongings might get damaged. That would be a triple loss. You are paying for the move, new items and he shipping and storage.
If your stuff is valuable enough though to want to move it be prepared for up to 2500 in my opinion. That will differ on the moving company and your situation of course.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:36 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,037,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
I priced out the cost with Uhaul and a general value of my items. I found out that it's almost the same price to just buy new things. I mean, it was still more expensive, but not that much more expensive than I thought.

Consider the extra hassle and stress of bringing things over, plus the storage cost. Is it all worth-it? Is there such a great cost difference between the two? Decide from there.
If it's a long distance move, the price of gas for the truck also needs to be considered; they aren't the most fuel efficient vehicles. Fortunately gas has dropped to under $2/gallon in many places, but back when it was $3.50/gallon it was a significant price consideration.

My wife and I have loaded several rental trucks over the years for cross country moves, but that's back when gas was $1/gallon (and rental truck prices weren't as high).

Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM

284 posts, read 360,103 times
We recently moved some furniture and various household items to furnish my daughter's college apartment. We rented a Uhaul and hired a couple guys in each town off Craigslist to load and unload the truck. I think the labor ended up being about $150 total and the truck rental was $30 for the day. I realize a one way, multi day truck rental is more, but if you can drive the truck yourself and just coordinate with people on each end to do the loading and unloading, you can do it fairly cheaply. I'd get rid of what I could, but if you feel you need to take thing along, look into shipping a car (Uship)and doing it yourself. Not cheap, but not as expensive as hiring a moving company in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:20 AM

5 posts, read 5,403 times
I am moving from WI to CA ... Quote range ive been getting for 2 dressers queen bed tv n 3 boxes $1300-2000... A friend suggested i contact a logistics company see if any LTL (less then load) long hauls passing through... I'm curious to see what i find
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues