Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 02:27 PM

163 posts, read 418,441 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs here or in the weather forum, but here goes. Hubby is seeking employment in Wisconsin, and job offers are coming in. When is it safe to make the move? Should we tell them April?

Driving from Crescent City CA to eastern Wisconsin (not sure of exact town). When is I-80 safe to drive with a moving van? We need to travel through Medford Oregon, Klamath Falls Oregon, northern Nevada, northern Utah, the Plains.....

Any advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
Not sure if this belongs here or in the weather forum, but here goes. Hubby is seeking employment in Wisconsin, and job offers are coming in. When is it safe to make the move? Should we tell them April?

Driving from Crescent City CA to eastern Wisconsin (not sure of exact town). When is I-80 safe to drive with a moving van? We need to travel through Medford Oregon, Klamath Falls Oregon, northern Nevada, northern Utah, the Plains.....

Any advice is appreciated
That's a tough one. Last year I was able to move in April, but we never know from year to year when the snow will stop. At the same time, you don't want to pass up a good opportunity. One thing you might think about is his renting an apartment when he finds a good position & you moving there later; or, if that's not feasible, put most of your things in storage & drive them there when you know the weather is okay. Or take your chances on the weather. Just because it's winter doesn't mean we don't drive, but a van could be trickier although the big semi's seem to do okay.

Can any Wisconsin folks pitch in?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
After about March 20th, there are longer and longer stretches of cool, dry weather.

There can also be snow storms until the second week in April, but those are usually light.

Your best bet is not to get locked into specific dates. Try to have a date range so that you can hole up in a hotel if a snow storm or a tornado threatens your trip. The weather can turn on a dime in the spring, so it's hard to do long-range planning.

If you have any control over when to move, wait until May 1 or at least the last week in April. You may still run into tornadoes, but -- in general -- May is a quiet month, as are the first three weeks in June.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Weather patterns can vary from year to year; however, generally the latter part of August into the middle of September can be pretty calm in many areas of the country.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 PM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
I agree with Meemur about not getting locked into specific dates, but I would also suggest not getting locked into a specific route. I say this because you may not have much say in when they a company needs somebody to start. So if they say they can have your hubby start on March 1, but can't really wait any longer, you may have to take a more indirect route to make it happen. I'm not saying to add 1,000-1,500 miles onto the trip, but when moving cross country, adding 200-300 miles to the trip isn't that big of a deal.

Weather in the Midwest can be very unpredictable all year long, but especially so from say mid-October through late April. Obviously, if you or hubby are uncomfortable driving a moving van in potential winter weather, you'll have to hold off until that weather isn't a factor, but if you're comfortable with that situation, then there is no reason you can't safely move at any time during the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues