U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,709,638 times

Advertisements

I filled my car with light things, like clothes and bedding-- not exactly stuff the guys were hot to steal. It wasn't a problem. I paid just about $775 to ship from L.A. to TN. I can't remember who I used, but I think your quote is pretty good, davidt1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 AM

542 posts, read 1,753,143 times
Default Has anyone shipped car instead of driven?

I'm moving from Ohio to Vegas. The thought of driving allllllllllllllllllllll that way doesn't sound appealing to me. I've looked into companies to ship my car and the quotes are ranging from 900-1200. Has anyone shipped their car instead of driven? If so... care to share your experience?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM

786 posts, read 3,509,159 times
When we moved from Ohio to San Diego we had both our cars shipped. It was so nice to just hop on a plane and a few days after we arrived, our cars did. We were lucky and the cost was paid for by the company that brought us out here. My husbands car arrived with a minor scratch but the shippers paid for the damage. Good experience and we plan to do it again as we move from CA to CT.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM

880 posts, read 2,580,856 times
Default Moved Mustang by carrier

We've moved cars thru carriers several times. First from San Jose CA to St. Louis MO, then from St. Louis MO to Los Altos, CA. Last year we moved my Mustang by a carrier when we moved from Las Vegas NV to the Branson MO area. Have never had any problem with any of them. Just be sure to use a good broker (most carriers are contracted).

Our move, last year, from LV to this area cost $700....$150 to the broker, the balance to the carrier. Plus a $40 tip at pickup and at delivery.

Just makes the whole moving process much easier...and your rested when you get where your going.

Good luck on Las Vegas BTW...enjoy the HOT HOT weather.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,590,866 times
The drive from Ohio to Vegas is a piece of cake.....2-2 1/2 days of easy driving....pick up interstate 70 in Dayton turn left when you get to interstate 15 in Utah.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,875,732 times
On a related tangent...has anyone shipped a car overseas and been happy with the outcome?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM

186 posts, read 999,130 times
Our movers pulled my husbands truck right on with the rest of our stuff. I'm not sure what the added cost was because his company covered it.

My dad use to be a car hauler. He owns his own trucking company. I would say 40% or more of the calls he hauled where people who where moving. You would need to contact a broker to get things set up. Generally they take very good care of your cars. If they have a claim on their insurance, it can skyrocket so they take it pretty serious.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,590,471 times
When I moved from NJ to Florida, the movers loaded my car onto the van with all my goods. I flew down, and within 3 days they called me to tell me the car was here, they drove it to my hotel, I drove them back to their van. It was great.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM

26,435 posts, read 62,677,450 times
I did it. Went fine. Your price quotes seem way high, but then fuel has gone up a lot.

My friend did it. The truck broke down, got lost, and finally the trucker just unhooked the car carrier and took his truck home (family problem of some kind). There were some other problems. I wish I could remember, it is pretty funny because so much stuff happened on one trip. Ultimately, the car arrived six weeks late and covered in mud and other goo. Also the car above it dripped oil onto the hood, but since the car was covered in mud, the oil did not leave a stain of any kind, it came right off with the dirt. A $200 detail job and the car looked as good as it did when they left it.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,484,538 times
had some friends who just had the movers put the car into the moving truck and flew
to az from ma. Noway did they want to drive this. They said it worked fine, and saved lots of milage on the car, and now with the price of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues