U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,752,976 times

Advertisements

I didn't even know there was a broker that handled car shipping. Do you just google it or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 PM

456 posts, read 1,437,915 times
I shipped my car from Chicago to Denver. I was already driving a big moving truck and was too scared to try to drive it with the car attached! I put in a bid on google somewhere and picked the cheapest rate I could find from there.

I totally recommend it if you have the extra cash to do so. It cost me around $600 to ship 1,000 miles.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,802,617 times
I've used TnT auto transport in 98 and in 2007. First time was my 70 Ford....in an open container...from Colorado to Georgia in winter..it arrived covered with dirt/dust (from the dirt/gravel they spread on the snowy roads). The trailers kicks up a lot of dirt/dust/mud from the mountain pass and my car looked like it. Second time, I moved my 70 Ford from Georgia to Seattle. Paid for a covered trailer. It arrived just like it left. The name of the trucking company that was contracted to move it was called "Hog? Hawg? Hauling." I think it was Hawg.. can't rememeber...anyways...they were contracted out by TnT. Check out Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams. They review moving companies. TnT is consistently high rated. I've had my Ford since 1990..It's a racing built street car....and it's got 30 Grand in it. (Rebuilt it from the ground up in 2006) ....I'm not going to just give it to anyone. I know, I sounds like a salemen, but I liked them a lot.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,653,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
I'm moving from Ohio to Vegas. The thought of driving allllllllllllllllllllll that way doesn't sound appealing to me. I've looked into companies to ship my car and the quotes are ranging from 900-1200. Has anyone shipped their car instead of driven? If so... care to share your experience?
My husband and drove from NE OH to S. CA and back three times; this was in the 80's before we had children and while we were in our very early 20's; it was h*llish even back then. Seriously, with the cost of gas today and the sheer work of driving required to move that long distance, I would bite the bullet and have the vehicles shipped. JMO. Wishing you the best in your move.

P.S. - The quotes you are receiving ($900-1200) seem pretty high. I know that I've looked up shipping costs for cars on ebay (purchase a car from one state and have it shipped to another, and the cost was more around $600-700 for shipping coast to coast).

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 AM

542 posts, read 1,752,976 times
I know everyone keeps telling me that my quotes 900-1200 seemed high, I thought so too. So I did a new google search and basically requested a quote from every company I saw. The lowest I got so far was 795. So I guess I'm getting lower. lol

The only benefit I saw to driving was I could pack my car up with all the things I'm taking. 1 tv, my pc/printer, clothes (myself and daughters), dishes (only enough for 4), plus all my books and an air mattress. Everything else is being sold or donated to charity. If I don't drive then I have to figure out a way to get all this stuff there. Most of shipping places said I couldn't load my car up with stuff!! lol

Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,116,949 times
A friend of mine arranged to have her car shipped from Atlanta to Southern Oregon, but it took so long for the shipping company to come pick it up that she finally gave up. Her father ended up driving the car cross-country for her and then flying back home .....

Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,123,136 times
My mother had her car shipped from Ct to Fl, no problems. She was even able to pack stuff inside of her car.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,311,556 times
I shipped several cars when I was in the military. Mostly good luck. But I'd remove ANYTHING of value before you turn it over to the shipper; I had some aftermarket speakers removed from the front doors of a Volvo 240 I shipped once.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM

392 posts, read 1,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
open container...from Colorado to Georgia in winter..it arrived covered with dirt/dust (from the dirt/gravel they spread on the snowy roads). The trailers kicks up a lot of dirt/dust/mud from the mountain pass and my car looked like it. Second time, I moved my 70 Ford from Georgia to Seattle. Paid for a covered trailer. It arrived just like it left.
I shipped my car cross country on an open truck. It arrived covered in all sorts of crud. I would never do that again, had to have it professionally detailed to get it clean.
In the end I swore I'd never ship a car again. I'd rather drive and have some things with me or just buy another car when I arrive.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM

24 posts, read 148,131 times
I have a cross country east to west coast coming up in march, and I signed with DAS, anyone have experience with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues