U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:05 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,046,854 times

Advertisements

Multiple Trucks???

Helped a friend move from the Bay Area to Washington... It took a large Rider Truck and was driving a pickup with a 24' enclosed trailer...

They bought the trailer used and sold it for that they had into it after the move... also gave them some extra storage for things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,179,871 times
I sent you a PM with information on my mover. small move ~5000 lbs cross country

Old 02-03-2016, 06:40 PM

1,062 posts, read 633,820 times
Try Bekins if available in your area. They offered 3 levels of coverage for a move from Chicago to Minnesota. However, have $1000 on hand on moving day. They held our stuff hostage, charging an extra $800 for a "Carrying Fee" not in the original contract.
The problem u are having could also be just a lack of manpower on on end or the other. The guys who packed my house were not the guys who showed up to unload 8 hours later.
Moving is a dirty, greedy business is what I learned after talking to the guys and reading up on the scams they pull. Every penny is calculated and accounted for.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM

200 posts, read 200,536 times
Make sure in your contract it states that there will be no additional fees if the weight ends up more than estimated. I've heard so many horror stories about belongings being held hostage until thousands extra are paid. Each time we've moved with movers (Mayflower 4 times, North American once) we've made sure that the price quoted was firm and final, no chance of a "*********" charge at the end while we're sleeping on blow-up mattresses waiting for our furniture.

When I moved from San Francisco to South Carolina, the agent had underestimated the weight of my stuff (by about 1k lbs!) and had I gone with the cheaper quote from the other company, I'd have been in a world of hurt. As it was, my "extra" charge was icy bottles of water, soft drinks, and bags of snacks and fruit for the movers when they pulled into the driveway on a Sunday evening, a day and a half ahead of schedule.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 PM

21,565 posts, read 14,180,052 times
In 2012 we used United Van Lines out of St. Louis. We got two bids from two different UVL franchisees, and we were not given to understand that either firm could not do our move. In fact, I believe that either firm would have moved us.

I am surprised that one UVL business declined your move, though. I don't understand it either.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:52 PM

9,190 posts, read 11,670,796 times
For north Idaho, Spokane (and maybe just maybe Butte MT) is the furthest they will want to drive empty for the next load. Seattle or Portland are too far for a fuel drinking vehicle not to be generating revenue. Unless you are filling the trailer, they may also be having a hard time finding households or freight to fill the empty space on the way to your destination.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,062,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Try Bekins if available in your area.
I may get a quote from Bekins just to have another option, but the local Bekins agents have much poorer reviews on line compared to the local United Van Lines agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Make sure in your contract it states that there will be no additional fees if the weight ends up more than estimated.
One quote from UVL was a fixed price quote - that's what we would pay regardless of the actual weight. The other was a not-to-exceed quote where we would not pay more if the weight was higher than estimated, but would pay less if the weight was lower. As it happens the fixed price quote estimated our weight about 2-3,000 pounds less than the NTE quote, and their price was lower accordingly. They were also the one that backed out after they gave us the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
For north Idaho, Spokane (and maybe just maybe Butte MT) is the furthest they will want to drive empty for the next load. Seattle or Portland are too far for a fuel drinking vehicle not to be generating revenue. Unless you are filling the trailer, they may also be having a hard time finding households or freight to fill the empty space on the way to your destination.
I think we will pretty much fill the trailer on the way north, so I don't think that's the issue. The thing I don't understand is why one United Van Lines agent is OK with the move, and the other is not.

That's really the issue I'm trying to understand, not looking for various DIY alternatives.

Dave

Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,168,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
As the subject says, we recently had a full service mover basically refuse our move, and I was wondering if anyone ever had a similar experience.

Here's the background: We are moving in May or June from SoCal to north Idaho, about 1,400 miles. It's a big move - they have our weight estimated at over 15k pounds. I did research on line for reviews of local movers, and the three that seemed to have the best reviews all turned out to be United Van Lines agents. So, I contact all three to get estimates.

A little bit of a rant, but I would be interested in whether anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

Dave
At 15K I think you might consider selling as much as possible. 1,400 mile move is not cheap (Duh!) but the less you spend moving in money in your pocket. I thought I couldn't do with certain things, but then realized I didn't use them hardly at all...

I'd bet you could reduce by 60% of your household items and get a truck and have 3-5 strong young guys load you up and then get to this side of the states and get 3-4 to unload....

Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 PM

133 posts, read 100,698 times
Maybe a good time to downsize your belongings to make the move easier.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM

133 posts, read 100,698 times
Have you looked at Pods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or