U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,881,426 times

Advertisements

So I just moved back from Miami and couldn't fit my very expensive moutain bike in my car. I didn't feel comfortable with it on the back for 2200 miles either. Has anyone shipped just a bicyle and how did you do it? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:49 PM

10,525 posts, read 15,580,641 times
Even taken apart it won't fit? How small is the car?

Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM

20,331 posts, read 10,442,079 times
You can have anything shipped. IF you break it down and package it UPS will ship it. Some places will even pack it for you.

Depending on the weight and size, it may be more cost effective to sell it and buy a new one.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:54 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,129,667 times
You take it apart,

Take Wheels off, Bars off, pedals off, and pack it, ship it,

(Get it the 3 dimensions ( length width height) as small as possible. )

Probably better to have a BikeShop you use Pack it up for you.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,881,426 times
These ideas sound great but I'm already in Miami and the bike is in Denver. The ex will not know how to take the bike apart nor how to transport it to someplace. Sounds like I'm screwed. Really am not happy about this

Old 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM

20,331 posts, read 10,442,079 times
Maybe call a bike shop and ask if they could pick it up and have it shipped for you. I'm sure they will charge a fee for the service. Or maybe a friend could do so.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:56 PM

5,230 posts, read 8,392,545 times
If all else fails, you could put it up for bids on Uship.

https://www.uship.com/

Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,377,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
These ideas sound great but I'm already in Miami and the bike is in Denver. The ex will not know how to take the bike apart nor how to transport it to someplace. Sounds like I'm screwed. Really am not happy about this
If your ex has the ability to get the bike to a Denver area bike shop, then the rest is easy.

The shops can take the bike apart as needed for shipping and pack in into one of their normal shipping cartons ... which is how they receive many bikes. They'll usually have a fair number of used cartons around because they need them to ship bikes out, too. They'll have their favorite shippers they work with to get the bike to you. Shouldn't cost all that much to do that.

You may want to consider buying one of the hard shell plastic shipping containers. Most bike shops have or will get one for you. Still requires a bit of teardown for the wheels, seat, and steering stem, but no big deal for them or for you to reassemble. The advantage is that these containers are much sturdier for shipping and protecting your bike. They can be used on airlines, too, if you're traveling and want your bike to be there with you.

If your ex cannot handle getting the bike to a shop, then ask a shop to pick it up ... they'll do it if they can meet your ex someplace where the bike is at to hand it over to them. Or consider having a taxi deliver it to a bike shop for you; there's a lot of savvy taxi drivers that know how to remove a front (and rear, too) quick release quill wheel and put the bike into the car. Really, it's no big deal and many folk in the transportation biz handle such freight items all the time.

The last time I shipped a complete bicycle ... Den to Seattle and back ... I bought a used carton from one of my favorite Denver bike shops for $5 and I only had to remove the wheels, seat, handlebar stem, and the pedals. Didn't take but a couple of minutes to have it securely packed and in the FEDEX ground crew capable hands. No damage on either leg of the trip, but I had my own bike in Seattle for less money than a rental for my family visit there.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-10-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM

13,645 posts, read 8,565,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So I just moved back from Miami and couldn't fit my very expensive moutain bike in my car. I didn't feel comfortable with it on the back for 2200 miles either. Has anyone shipped just a bicyle and how did you do it? TIA
Shipped a motorcycle once.
I had a dealer crate it up for me. They didn't charge much and had the crates handy.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:25 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Many local bike shops pack for shipping all the time for customers who are racing (triathlon or road) in places a plane trip away, and packing one up for a relocation would generally be no big deal for that kind of shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or