U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,665,566 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived anywhere that I deeply hated, though there were places I would probably not move back to. If I could, I'd move back to the Carolinas when I retire because I can't handle the northern climate any more. There are places I've visited on business that made me think, no way would I ever choose to live here (Huntsville Alabama being one of them, plus the whole state of West Virginia -- sorry, WV folks, not my cup of tea).

Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 PM

1,726 posts, read 3,125,167 times
I have lived in quite a few places. I haven't lived anywhere terrible. I guess my least favorite place was San Diego, which seems to be everybody else's favorite. It just goes to show that different people like different places.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 PM

8,670 posts, read 7,636,707 times
We've had 14 addresses in 40 years. The worst was Goldsboro, NC. The contentious racial situation was terrible, and the schools were the absolute pits. Our joke used to be that it wasn't the 3rd world, but you could see it from there. My reaction to that area is still so bad that I'd never visit the SE USA again, even though we've been gone for 20 years.

MINN is certainly difficult. We grew up in Wis and would never move back. The bugs, the taxes, and the terrible weather make for a challenging living environment. You can do a lot better.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 PM

2,603 posts, read 2,908,616 times
I'm going to have to say Cabot Arkansas...it's a small suburb of Little Rock, about 30 minutes northeast. About 23,000 people. It's also roughly 97% white. These whitefolk here are incredibly close minded and racist. I regularly heard people at the Walmart refer to black people as n*****s. I went to Jr High and high school in Cabot and remember kids naming off all the black people that attended, like it was some sort of game. There is a HUGE prescrip pill and meth problem in the town. There is nothing to do except hang out at Walmart or McDonalds, maybe 1 of the 4 Waffle Houses. No independently owned restaurants, stores or shops - all chains. No cute little downtown, just a 1 lane road through all the fast food chains and gas stations. Hot as all getup in the summer, high tornado risk, drivers who end up upside down in the ditch after 10 snowflakes have fallen, ridiculous amount of religious nutcases, a bunch of rich preppy white kids whose parents buy them all the designer clothes and iphones etc, as well as a bunch of poor reneck white kids who come to school dipping and in dirty jeans/boots/hunting jackets.

Just a horrible place to live.

I have lived in Massachusetts, Florida, New Jersey, California, Arkansas, New York, South Carolina and North Carolina.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,013,527 times
El Centro, CA, socially its the pits, crime runs the place, and everything seems dirty--such as flies all over the donuts in the glass case and everyone thinks its normal. My house was broken into regularly, and the police never follow up on anything.

Temperatures in the Summer gets to 120 degrees, and then there is the monsoon season with wicked rain pouring over desert sand. So the weather was not desirable.

Oh, and did I mention the little scorpions that came under the front door? MY cats loved hitting them until their paws were swollen. Or the rattle snakes that loved to sit in the shade of the front porch all Summer long? They were fun too!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:00 PM

7,049 posts, read 4,046,943 times
Worst? Minneapolis, best? Albuquerque, then Tucson, then Denver.

I've lived in: Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Denver, Tampa, Minneapolis, Los Angeles.

I liked Tucson, Denver and Albuquerque ALOT, I'm a native to Phoenix and live here now, it is what it is, hated Tampa and Minneapolis. LA I was indifferent towards.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:10 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,641,424 times
Kentucky. If I'd wanted to move to a corrupt, 3rd-world banana republic, I'd have moved to a corrupt 3rd-world banana republic. I wouldn't have believed that all I had to do was cross a few state lines and there I'd be.

I've lived in tiny towns and major cities in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Montana, Hawaii, and California, and absolutely loved them all. Given the right circumstances, I'd gladly move back to any of them tomorrow (especially Wisconsin, Minnesota, or California).

Old 02-15-2016, 12:11 AM

4,093 posts, read 4,702,203 times
Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Break-ins and shootings every day. Hot as all hell. Traffic jams, overwhelming football, and nothing to do but eat eat eat. Really uptight middle class people as well. Very condescending.

Awful, awful place.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:40 AM

8,564 posts, read 10,774,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
The northeast. I hate it here! The winter time is just miserable. I grew up in this area and in 2008 moved to Tampa, FL w/ the hubby. However, he hated it there and being so far away from family. We moved back to the icebox in 2014... I'm hoping we can move further south again one day (not as far south as FL) or even out west towards Portland. Not sure if they get the arctic blasts too though. (Last night w/ the windchill -24F)

Northeast is my least favorable place, too. Grew up there. Lived in Central NY, too, Syracuse for one year. It was my personal epitome of a "he*l hole." Continual grey skies (at night, it was so cloudy, skies were white--how bizarre), brutal amts.snow, people who rarely smile, small townishness and bad roads.

SouthWest was good, but not Phoenix. Should have tried Tucson. South is so-so. Not my favorite, not the worst (depends big time on where).Didn't like Florida at all. I think West is Best for me anyways.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 AM

561 posts, read 425,448 times
I'm 40 and I've changed a lot as a person as far as what I like and what I need in my life to make it run how I like. I had huge adjustment problems moving from San Diego to Tampa bay in 1991. I also had a big dose of culture shock moving from Sacramento to Pittsburgh, PA, though this turned into dread at having to move from Pgh back to San Diego for family reasons.

As I have gotten older, I have made friends with Florida again. I have also cast a much more critical eye on Vermont due largely to its lack of infrastructure and healthcare. I'm somewhat surprised by this, since I was so homesick after I left it for NC.

So, if I had all seven locales in six states to choose from, which one would be the worst choice for me these days? Highlands, NC. I need much better transit than it has, and better access to an airport and hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues