U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:39 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,361,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Kentucky. If I'd wanted to move to a corrupt, 3rd-world banana republic, I'd have moved to a corrupt 3rd-world banana republic. I wouldn't have believed that all I had to do was cross a few state lines and there I'd be.

I've lived in tiny towns and major cities in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Montana, Hawaii, and California, and absolutely loved them all. Given the right circumstances, I'd gladly move back to any of them tomorrow (especially Wisconsin, Minnesota, or California).

Oh, Albert, we really, really do hope your circumstances change.

Signed,
Your fellow Kentuckians

Old 02-16-2016, 11:48 AM

6,488 posts, read 6,918,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I totally disagree with you on that. I have lived all over TX (Amarillo, Gatesville, Dallas, Palestine, Tyler, and all areas of Houston), my sister lives in Austin, and although I dislike TX immensely, one thing you can count on is the kindness of most strangers. Texans are among the nicest, friendliest people you will ever meet, hands down. I have lived in other states (MT, VA, AK, CA) and even other countries, and Texans have them all beat in spades, in my experience. And BTW, if you can't find anything to do in Austin, you aren't looking very hard. Austin's population is just under 1 million, so it's hardly a small town, and of course it's the state capitol, so there's even more to see in Austin than other TX cities because of that.

And Austin has the Congress Ave. Bridge Bats!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 PM

6,220 posts, read 5,326,647 times
I can't say I ever lived somewhere that made me miserable. Even our worst parts of the country are paradises compared to some parts of the world.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,361,533 times
Cincinnati, Ohio, many years ago. The air pollution from the many factories in Mill Creek Valley, close to where I worked, made it necessary for me to take a prescription to control my congestion. Once I moved back to central Kentucky, I ditched the Rx within two weeks and have never needed it again.

Not just the air was dirty - so were the streets and sidewalks. Roads were very poorly maintained, with trash lining them. There were lots of abandoned Victorian-era rowhouse apartments along the drive downtown, where I also worked briefly. It took forever to get across town to see the good things in the city: parks, museums, etc. Traffic congestion was awful - it took me an hour and a half each day to drive to and from work. Half an hour in the morning, a full hour in the afternoon. I rarely had a weekday opportunity to get out into the sun during the winter months.

My first supervisor was absolutely insane. Really. She had gone through five people in my position in the preceding two years, something unknown to me when I took the job. She was hateful, and would say the most cutting things to the rest of the staff, me in particular, and would also slander customers, often with racist remarks. She also despised Kentucky and Kentuckians in general, which certainly did nothing to endear me to her. The rest of the staff were okay but were cowed by this horrible woman, and were all much older than I was , and were powerless to change things themselves, much less blow the whistle on the supervisor from hell, who must have known where the bodies were buried to have been kept on by her own supervisors (things got considerably better with my job after I requested and eventually received a transfer).

I tried to meet others closer to my age, but had little success. The population was largely very conservative politically and religiously, with a great deal of emphasis placed on which Cincinnati high school people had attended, even years after graduation. Grads of Catholic high schools still had little to do with grads of public schools, and vice versa. There were serious racial tensions in Cincinnati at the time I lived there, yet little was done to address them. Neighborhoods were very divided racially - sometimes a very wealthy, old, white neighborhood would be literally across the tracks from a black slum. Many people had deep German roots in the area and socialized primarily with extended family and old friends. People from eastern Kentucky who had moved to Cincinnati for factory work were scorned and stereotyped as hillbillies, though many had been there for over twenty years at that point. There was little assimilation or even respect for others' differences. People tended to be suspicious rather than friendly to newcomers, unless the newcomers fit preassumed roles. Once you got to know people, some of those barriers dropped, but many seemed to be in comfortable ruts which they did not want disturbed in any way. It felt very closed-off.

Many of the older neighborhoods looked very neglected, congested and crammed together to my eyes. The city parks were beautiful, but I had little time to enjoy them, and some awful crimes in the parks made me reluctant to get out and explore.

I knew it was time to come home when I was downtown for a work-related meeting one day, and saw a trail of blood on the sidewalk when I emerged for lunch. I couldn't quite believe those red spots were blood - but then watched the local news that evening, and had it confirmed. That incident screamed "Get outta there!" as loudly as any inner message I've ever had.

So I did, and I've never regretted it.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM

14,081 posts, read 8,982,424 times
Bah! Valdosta,Ga
is still is worse then any place else you all have mentioned.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:52 PM

23,308 posts, read 17,347,832 times
I moved to IA from TN sight unseen for a job a couple years after college. After the novelty wore off after a month or so, I didn't like it. Flat, cold as can be in the winter, no scenery, little water, rude people, not much to do. I wouldn't call it horrible, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a transplant.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 PM

446 posts, read 550,614 times
St. Louis. Hated the weather, hated the people (sorry, but it's mostly true).

#1 for crime in the country.

The most beautiful thing I've ever seen is St. Louis getting smaller in my rear-view mirror.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,404,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I'm 40 and I've changed a lot as a person as far as what I like and what I need in my life to make it run how I like. I had huge adjustment problems moving from San Diego to Tampa bay in 1991. I also had a big dose of culture shock moving from Sacramento to Pittsburgh, PA, though this turned into dread at having to move from Pgh back to San Diego for family reasons.

As I have gotten older, I have made friends with Florida again. I have also cast a much more critical eye on Vermont due largely to its lack of infrastructure and healthcare. I'm somewhat surprised by this, since I was so homesick after I left it for NC.

So, if I had all seven locales in six states to choose from, which one would be the worst choice for me these days? Highlands, NC. I need much better transit than it has, and better access to an airport and hospitals.

Over the years (decades), I have come to feel that I want to live within or very proximate to a metro area with good HOSPITALS (i.e., with at least one Level I Trauma Center hospital sitauated there, if not more than one . . . and then optionally complemented by Level II Trauma Center hospitals situated there). Hence, metro areas/regions that I might otherwise consider as a place to live tend to be ruled out by me if they don't have such hospitals within them . . . and then the closer one can live to such a Level I-type hospital, the better it is for your well-being and even possible your very survival (because in a true emergency or trauma, time is or may be of the essence and the longer the delay in getting you to such a hospital-- which any lesser hospital that you are brought to or bring yourself to would have to have you transported to anyway --can realisticaly make a life-or-death difference for you).

So, for instance, in all of the state of Connecticut, the only Level I Trauma Centers are one in Hartford (Hartford Hospital) and one in New Haven (Yale Medical Center); the entire rest of the state of Connecticut has no such hospitals (even in such other significant cities like Bridgeport, Stamford, Greenwich, New London, Waterbury, Danbury, Westport, etc. etc. etc.).

And, although I do wish to own a motor vehicle once again (as I have in the past) and plan to so once again, I still want to live in an area very well-enough served by MASS TRANSIT (e.g., rapid-tranit trains, buses, streetcards, commuter rail, ferries, et al) . . . and it would be a minus to only have buses serving the area but no type of trains as well (and the longer the hours of service for the mass transit, the better). And the overall SHOPPINGscene and the variety of PUBLIC SERVICES (e.g., good public libraries, parks, government offices of varied types, etc.) should be conducive to leading a productive and useful life.

In summary: However nice a particular locale is or may be otherwise (e.g., Burlington, Vermont; Utica, NY; the Poconos region of Pennsylvania; Gadsden, Alabama; . . . . . . . ), if it doesn't have these mentioned features and/or is too far or too inconvenient to reasonably travel to and from such features, it would most probably eliminate such a place from my consideration as a place to live.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,771,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
South Florida. What can be said that hasn't been said 1000,00,00,0,000000,00 time already?
The slime trap of the USA. The "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 is the greatest thing I have ever read
Never hear anything good about S. Florida. I would personally hate it. I've heard people are very pretentious and almost obnoxious. I have a cousin I've had no contact w/ for years that lives there. It would fit his personality though! On wife 3, rolex watches and all the rest.
I lived in Central Florida and hated it after 2 weeks. It was a rural area too! I found out I'm not happy in the country at all. At least I found that out earlier in life than later.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
A saga:

All you (n)ever wanted to know about Ridgecrest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues