U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 AM

718 posts, read 687,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
What is this "law" called?

Anyone with the slightest understanding of science knows that there are natural and physical "laws". What this means is that it has been mathematically proven that there are absolutely no exceptions in our world/universe to this law. Newtonian physics give us some of the most commonly known laws, such as his Laws of Thermodynamics.

Of course, the whimsical mind of humankind have expended upon these natural laws to include many others; probably the best known is "Murphy's Law", (i.e., Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.).

Throughout my life, and especially in this current downsizing, I have come to the realization that there exists another natural "law", but I don't know what it is called. What this "law" states is . . .

Doesn't matter how little or how much space you are given, eventually it will be filled with 'stuff'. Good, valuable stuff, but stuff non-the-less. In my case, I have a three-car garage, four-bedroom, 2,850 square foot house that I occupy by myself. It is totally filled with stuff! I'll be going to a place half the size, hence the dilemma about what to get rid of and what to keep.

I think it's called the George Carlin Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM

718 posts, read 687,917 times
I have a HUGE collection of books that I'm finally going to part with. I've had wood bookcases and currently have Ikea Billy bookcases. The Ikea ones have been in the same spot for 13 years holding very heavy books and they've held up beautifully. I wouldn't recommend moving Ikea book shelves, but if they stay in one spot, they hold up pretty well. Now looks wise, they may not be your cup of tea...

Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 AM

2,680 posts, read 1,544,220 times
Just moved a bunch of Ikea Billy cases. I took them apart and re-assembled them in the new home. Went fine.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:56 PM

25,039 posts, read 23,933,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
I have a HUGE collection of books that I'm finally going to part with. I've had wood bookcases and currently have Ikea Billy bookcases. The Ikea ones have been in the same spot for 13 years holding very heavy books and they've held up beautifully. I wouldn't recommend moving Ikea book shelves, but if they stay in one spot, they hold up pretty well. Now looks wise, they may not be your cup of tea...
I've moved Billy bookcases four times. They're still in good shape. They're 18 years old this year.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 AM

10,300 posts, read 4,875,305 times
If it will be more expensive to replace "it" keep it; otherwise buy new when you move. If I had to move tomorrow the only furniture I would keep is one antique dresser and my round Pier 1 dining table and maybe the Kathy Ireland bedroom set I bought in 2009.

I've been downsizing over the last few years anyway so I don't have much in the way of stuff that is rarely used. I went from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom condo after my husband died and I'm still getting rid of knick knacks and collectibles.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM

55 posts, read 32,420 times
Once the downsizing is done you still need to move what's left. We went with PODS and found it to be a great way go. I'm sure there are other companies that offer the same thing and are just as good but we used them. The whole concept was painlesss and pretty inexpensive. We filled 2 16' pods at our leisure, had them stored for over 2 months and delivered to our new doorstep. Total cost was a little over 6 grand but everything happened on our schedule and aside from a few minor scratches we had 1 glass broken. If I was ever stupid enough to make another major move I would definitely go the same route.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,323,950 times
My idea of what to keep when moving has been completely changed over the years - the 4 plus years that I have been driving back and forth 2k miles in a Ridgeline truck trying to bring as many things as possible (across a border even) in the attempt to empty out my old life so I can truly begin my new life.

Every time I make the trek I decide there are more things I will never manage to take and my list is pared down. The hard part is that much of what I cannot bring is family related (and has many memories, not to mention being very old and still solid) and that hurts. But, with no help (and only a small truck bed) I can only bring so much .. period. My eyes were bigger than my stomach as they say.

I used to live fine with just a backpack full of 'stuff' - and was able to move on a dime. Of course, I also 'stored' my stuff on the floor, ate at the sink and out of a can, and often even used a blow up mattress or slept on the floor in a sleeping bag. Now I have trouble getting down to the floor much less getting back up. How the heck did I end up with 5 houses full of other people's junk is ... well, it was my fault ... I 'inherited' most of it and didn't direct it all immediately to a dumpster.

But, I am getting better at this. 5k books gone now. One vehicle gone and another yet to go. 5 full size dumpsters filled and removed over a couple of seasons. More to go yet though before I can actually sell that one place and not have to worry any more about making these long trips.

(p.s. Yes, one can find international movers - I know .. have used them before and will again when the 'sorting' is done - but till then, I can't engage one so every trip I just bring more, trying it to pare it and the final cost down as much as possible.)

Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 AM

9,817 posts, read 5,488,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
I am trying to decide what to pack and what to discard after 30 years. I have a couple of stacks of vinyl records; 33,45,78, no means to play them and only mild interest. My son seems to think that they are worth "something ". I don't think that they are. Can anyone confirm that?.....
Believe it or not, there are those, myself included, who still buy vinyl......and there are those who are making new turn tables. Putting aside the why, you can always try Half Price Books. You may not get the best price for them, but it will probably be the easiest way to get rid of them with some money back aside from throwing them away................

.................or you can hold a Chakram throwing contest if you like.

As to that question of what stays to go and what goes........

Last move, I got ride of a lot of stuff that were the "hand me downs" that Mom gave me "Just take it, I don't care what you do with it". Dad's old exercise bike, fancy crystal and china that I never used, grand aunt's old box TV, cooking utensils that I never used, and the like. I couldn't get the energy up to get rid of them before but when it came down to the immediate question of "Do you want to move with this stuff?", it became a lot easier to say good bye.

This move, in lessons learned from the last move, I am getting rid of tons of VHS tapes. The justification for their dumping comes from the realization that sooner or later, I will lack the equipment to view them. Now, generalizing the situation by looking at any commodity and asking that question: in so many years, will you have the means to access them? That may help you decide whether to stay or go with it.

Clothes can be an easier choice, especially when we no longer fit in them. Being theatre oriented, the ones I have are often offered first choice to wardrobe.

One thing that can make it easier or complicate it immensely is the kind of situation you are moving to. I'm moving to a ranch hence it behooves me to think in having capabilities, such as lots of gardening yard tools, when I get there. If, on the other hand, I was moving into another apartment, such items might have been donated long ago.

Finally, when you know you have to move, start early. I didn't and Operation WHIRLWIND was the result.....it wasn't any fun.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-23-2016 at 02:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 AM

55 posts, read 78,612 times
Your vinyl collection is definitely worth something. If you don't want to go to the trouble of selling it yourself, you can always donate it to your favorite local charity and write off the donation on your taxes.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:00 PM

25,274 posts, read 15,382,790 times
Default Moving to a smaller space and getting rid of furniture . Did you donate a lot ?

I'm moving to a smaller space , from a house to apartment. I moved just a few things but still have some other prices of furniture . Posted ads on Craigslist and offer up for several things and just sold a couple for low prices . $40 for a recliner , $40 for a nightstand .

For most of you that moved and didn't take all your furniture with you , did you actually sell most of it or just donate it ?
If you sold on Craigslist how long did it take you usually to sell stuff like couches ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or