U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 PM

15,060 posts, read 18,985,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We relocated last year and moved from a home with 3,400 to 2,400 sq ft. I only sold one sectional on Craigslist for $200. I got a response right away. Everything else in goo condition I either gave away to family and friends or had Goodwill come and take it. We threw out a ton of stuff too that I didn't bother with because it was just garbage.

Beware of Craigslist too! People will chew down the price so list a little higher than what you actually want. Also, DO not except checks or even Cashier checks as they can be fake. Cash only!

If you donate anything get a receipt so you can claim it on your taxes!!
Assuming you can itemize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 04:10 PM

888 posts, read 809,074 times
Tried to donate some stuff most people would gladly have. Goodwill came out and thumbed their nose at it.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:42 PM

611 posts, read 248,885 times
Not sure if you have a "buy nothing" group in your area, but I find this a great way to get rid of stuff quickly and easily!

Old 04-15-2017, 12:50 PM

409 posts, read 954,528 times
Maybe call/email churches, and see what they can do. I found one that will take furniture donations, that they sell in their "store", to fund kids going to church camp/youth programs. It was a lifesaver, as they took a beautiful old upright piano, an old nice sewing machine, and assorted other items. I hated to think I would have to dispose of the piano, and the $250 or so $, to have it hauled away.

Also, I have donated couches and chairs to places that support shelters, women's shelters, Mentally challenged homes, Family services type places, etc.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:36 PM

490 posts, read 275,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm moving to a smaller space , from a house to apartment. I moved just a few things but still have some other prices of furniture . Posted ads on Craigslist and offer up for several things and just sold a couple for low prices . $40 for a recliner , $40 for a nightstand .

For most of you that moved and didn't take all your furniture with you , did you actually sell most of it or just donate it ?
If you sold on Craigslist how long did it take you usually to sell stuff like couches ?
I had a big problem with C-list and people being scammy. I hope it works better for you than it did me!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 AM

25,274 posts, read 15,351,393 times
Update :

I now have pretty much everything out .
I only sold a couple items for a total of $80 .

I donated the rest . I had one charity pickup several items . The charity wouldn't take one of money sofas and wouldn't take my Queen bed . I posted the couch and bed on Craigslist and a guy that recently moved to down picked up the bed .. he loaded it on top of his 30 year old Crown Victoria . It seemed my only other option would of been to dump the bed for trash pickup so it was nice to give it to someone that could use it . He said he had been sleeping on a couch . Also gave him some nice sheets and a comforter .

The couch some people came that said they were looking to furnish their place as they had been homeless before . It was nice to know it was going to someone that will appreciate it .

I gave away a couple things to relatives .

In retrospect . I would of been more organized. Part of the issue was that I didn't really want people coming into my house . I had sold things locally before but it was always smaller things and I would meet them at a nearby shopping center .

I should of listed items for sale sooner and given myself a little more time to try to sell them . Also should of scheduled the charity pickups earlier .

Old 04-16-2017, 01:09 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,956,796 times
Some people look to Craigslist as a way of making money, or making up for a mistaken purchase. "This sofa is only a year old and hardly ever sat on. Paid $2000 asking $1700. Here is your good deal! You won't need to pay taxes or wait for delivery." Nobody ever comes. The best way to sell on C-list is to ask no more than 20% of what you paid for it. Be careful of what you buy new so that you feel you have gotten your money's worth by the time you sell, and then sell it cheap and sell it quickly. If the item is still in good shape, consider it an act of charity to give someone a bargain.

Plus, with the incidence of bugs in certain neighborhoods, few people want to risk a used mattress or arm chair. Even college areas have bug problems in some of the housing.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 PM

25,274 posts, read 15,351,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Some people look to Craigslist as a way of making money, or making up for a mistaken purchase. "This sofa is only a year old and hardly ever sat on. Paid $2000 asking $1700. Here is your good deal! You won't need to pay taxes or wait for delivery." Nobody ever comes. The best way to sell on C-list is to ask no more than 20% of what you paid for it. Be careful of what you buy new so that you feel you have gotten your money's worth by the time you sell, and then sell it cheap and sell it quickly. If the item is still in good shape, consider it an act of charity to give someone a bargain.

Plus, with the incidence of bugs in certain neighborhoods, few people want to risk a used mattress or arm chair. Even college areas have bug problems in some of the housing.
Yeah I was thinking that as I looked at some of the for sale listings on Craigslist. Wonder how many people actually get their asking price .
People on Craigslist are going to be bargain hunter types generally . Same with OfferUp , lots of low ball offers.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,137,408 times
Quote:
Update :

I now have pretty much everything out .
I only sold a couple items for a total of $80 .

I donated the rest . I had one charity pickup several items . The charity wouldn't take one of money sofas and wouldn't take my Queen bed . I posted the couch and bed on Craigslist and a guy that recently moved to down picked up the bed .. he loaded it on top of his 30 year old Crown Victoria . It seemed my only other option would of been to dump the bed for trash pickup so it was nice to give it to someone that could use it . He said he had been sleeping on a couch . Also gave him some nice sheets and a comforter .

The couch some people came that said they were looking to furnish their place as they had been homeless before . It was nice to know it was going to someone that will appreciate it .

I gave away a couple things to relatives .

In retrospect . I would of been more organized. Part of the issue was that I didn't really want people coming into my house . I had sold things locally before but it was always smaller things and I would meet them at a nearby shopping center .

I should of listed items for sale sooner and given myself a little more time to try to sell them . Also should of scheduled the charity pickups earlier .
Sounds like you made some really smart decisions, though.

I didn't see this thread until today, but if I had, here is what I would have said. It isn't too different from what you ended up doing. Like you, I didn't want strangers coming into my house.

I gave away a lot, to friends, to the Salvation Army, and even to the movers. I put some of the junkier stuff at the curb, where scavengers whisked it away. I did take about half of it with me, including the better pieces of furniture, but really the rest was not worth very much to anyone but me.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:53 PM

21,833 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
I'm moving to a smaller space , from a house to apartment. I moved just a few things but still have some other prices of furniture . Posted ads on Craigslist and offer up for several things and just sold a couple for low prices . $40 for a recliner , $40 for a nightstand .

For most of you that moved and didn't take all your furniture with you , did you actually sell most of it or just donate it ?
If you sold on Craigslist how long did it take you usually to sell stuff like couches ?
When we moved, we donated what we did not bring with us. We did not have time to fiddle around with selling stuff. Because we were donating a lot of stuff, we kept records and took a deduction at tax time.

We still do donate stuff now, but it is usually not enough to justify trying to take a deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or