U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:02 PM

236 posts, read 141,888 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks before a move, I carefully go through everything and give away a bunch of clothes, books, and other stuff and list what's in each box. Then when I realize I still have 5-10% of my stuff to still pack the day before, my packing strategy devolves into throwing random stuff into boxes and wondering if I should take the chance on the movers breaking fragile things vs. hauling them over myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 PM

277 posts, read 203,909 times
Not sure if it was covered but I had a numbering system with my boxes.

Every single box had a number in one corner which corresponded with a list. The contents of every box was known to me just by checking the list. Really came in handy when I ended up putting a lot of the boxes in storage.

I purged 90% of what I owned and it was not easy. Ridding myself of hundreds of books was the worst but it had to be done. The moving cost alone for the books was insane. Plus where I was headed had no where near the space as where I had been.

I ended up calling an auction company who came and took most everything. Some of the furniture was just worth nothing so out it went to the curb.

It wasn't an enjoyable task at all. Now when things start accumulating in my home I get a little crazy and start purging. I just do not want to be where I was with that many possessions.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM

26,427 posts, read 62,653,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
Not sure if it was covered but I had a numbering system with my boxes.

Every single box had a number in one corner which corresponded with a list. The contents of every box was known to me just by checking the list. Really came in handy when I ended up putting a lot of the boxes in storage.
Wish we had done that when we moved. We started it, but gave up because boxes were being packed by neighbors, friends, us, and processional moving people. We had everyone write what was inside on the box, but "garage stuff" or "Electronics" really was not much help. We had hundreds of boxes ( Family of 7). We lived in a rental house for 18 months, so the boxes were all stored in the garage. We unpacked a few boxes, only a small fraction. I am not sure how we ever found the ones that had the stuff we needed. My son who was ten at the time we moved, took a knack knife and cut a 6" hole in the side of every box so he could look in to see if his Nintendo machine thing was in there. He cut holes in 2/3 of the unopened boxes. It was pretty industrious of him. Once we moved, it took more than a year to open all the boxes and sort out where things needed to go. Some things, by the time we found them, were out of date or no longer age appropriate and went from the moving box to the donation bin.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times
We're moving from Hawaii to California, so we're dumping nearly everything. Selling the house furnished takes care of a lot of bulky items. Friends have asked for a "preview" to see what they want. A lot of arts and crafts supplies are going to the Boys and Girls club.

Craigslist for big sellables, ebay for littles, Freecycle and the reuse center at the dump for junky stuff.

We did this in reverse 12 years ago (CA to HI). It's really freeing, letting go of all that STUFF!

Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 PM

9,658 posts, read 15,790,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Sell the furniture and buy new/used when you get there. Ship what boxes will not fit in your vehicle via Amtrak Express. It is the cheapest way to move, period. That is how we moved cross country from Ohio to Washington and it worked perfectly. Only cost us $150 to ship what didn't fit in our car and that was after 10 years living in the previous 1800sqft house and acquiring lots of "stuff". Granted we sold/donated a lot to downsize. But I'm sure it was more than what you would have in a 1 bed apartment.

How I moved across the country with Amtrak - Transitized

https://www.amtrak.com/express-shipping

Do not abandon your pets! La Quinta hotels are great for traveling with pets. No additional fee/deposit required for having them. We used RoadTrippers to plan out the route with 12 hour stretches. Taking a break and walking the dog/stretching legs/getting gas/etc every few hours. Wasn't a big deal at all. For the cat just pick up some of those disposable litter boxes but they will usually just hold it until you get to a hotel. If either one of them is really bad with car rides you can talk to your vet about a tranquilizer but after the first hour or two I'm sure they'll just settle in for the haul.
https://roadtrippers.com/

I never knew about Amtrak---thanks for the idea

I'd like to throw out my ideas for traveling with a pet---make sure to keep the AC set on recirc---not intake. Animals are very sensitive to smells. If they smell something different, like a different area/environment, it could upset them. Also, take along bottles of water, preferably the same brand. The taste of water varies from place to place. If you stay in hotels on the way, the animal may be confused by the water.

Last but not least---make sure every pet is on a leash or harness, especially a cat. If you don't use a cat harness, get one in advance of the trip and let kitty get used to the feel of it. Also, let them explore the cat cages so they are familiar with them. Keep animals on the leash/harness at ALL times, even when in the car. A window could accidently open, a door might not shut, and kitty runs off. Ever try to catch an escaping cat? The harness gives you something to grab onto

Old 05-02-2017, 06:35 AM

25,258 posts, read 15,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We're moving from Hawaii to California, so we're dumping nearly everything. Selling the house furnished takes care of a lot of bulky items. Friends have asked for a "preview" to see what they want. A lot of arts and crafts supplies are going to the Boys and Girls club.

Craigslist for big sellables, ebay for littles, Freecycle and the reuse center at the dump for junky stuff.

We did this in reverse 12 years ago (CA to HI). It's really freeing, letting go of all that STUFF!
I moved recently just within Los Angeles , but got rid of a lot of stuff especially the more bulky stuff .
I tried selling some of the stuff but only sold a few things for low prices . Didn't have any antique or new furniture . Ended up donating a lot through charities and some differently on Craigslist .

One couple picked up a couch and were grateful as they had been recently homeless so that was nice to know.

Sounds like you have it planned out of what you are going to do with the stuff

I think having to move from Hawaii to CA or vice versa would of forced me to get rid of even more .
Can't imagine the shipping costs .

Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM

1,131 posts, read 391,338 times
I had a dumpster delivered to the driveway, then towed and another delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or