U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 PM

6,995 posts, read 6,988,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Anything I haven't used in a year. Anything that costs more to move than it's worth. People vastly overestimate the value of their items. I don't, which is why I don't own much of anything. Unfortunately, my wife more than compensates for what I don't own by keeping tons of useless, sentimental, and multiple copies of the same items herself, so when we move across the country in a few years, it will be an awful task get rid of all the stuff.
One of the ways I was able to let go of some sentimal things was to find a good home for them. We had many dearly beloved at one time "grandchildren toys." It was so sad to see them go because there were so many happy memories attached. I finally took some photos of the g'kids favorites (including toy soldiers and little girl play dishes). We gave the toys to a grandmother who had 9 grandkids who often visited her.

Still have too much stuff (local move) but it gets easier and I still am giving more stuff away almost every week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 02:36 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,296,241 times
Remarkable the amount of clutter you can accumulate in just a few years.

Good idea to start purging early, as soon as you start to think about moving.

I began purging well before my last move. I used to sweat blood before giving up a book, but I was finally willing to donate to the public library. This is easiest with books that you know you would never read again.

The clothes hanging in my closet, ones I hadn't worn in years. Tried them on, and discovered that half of them no longer fit, so I donated them. Later, last summer, I again unloaded a bunch of old clothes, based on simply not having worn them in years.

I'm expecting to move into a smaller space some time this spring, so I will have to be ruthless.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 02-26-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 06:44 AM

9,809 posts, read 5,484,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
.........shelves of cookbooks for recipes we never eat.

Sigh.......
Here's a notion with those cookbooks. Take a few of them with your travel supplies and cook from them until the main cargo arrives. That way, you'll know if you really want them or not when you are "eating" from them when you don't have your usual supplies.

This kinky piece of cooking logic came from the line of thought of: Why do we have these cookbooks we never use? asks the dumper. The defender responds "In case there is ever a time when we don't have what we usually eat and need to get inventive."..............

....................and what is that time in "normal life" when that occurs? When one moves.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:04 AM

60 posts, read 33,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Oh, it pains me to read "Books of course" as the first line.

My family is facing a move in 5-8 months and we're in the beginning stages of getting rid of things. No way I'm ditching my books! (Well, most of them.) I have 3 floor to ceiling book cases and about 5 Rubbermaid tubs full of books...

We're going room by room and selling, donating or tossing anything we haven't used in a few months or things that can be accessed otherwise (DVDs out if the movies are on Netflix etc.)

There is still so much stuff though!
I hated getting rid of books too, but I bit the bullet and started my new book collection using Kindle. They have a ton of free books available for download so it turned out okay in the end.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM

9,809 posts, read 5,484,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusoh415 View Post
I hated getting rid of books too, but I bit the bullet and started my new book collection using Kindle. They have a ton of free books available for download so it turned out okay in the end.
Part of my teeth grinding, nail biting stress in this thread is looking at things and thinking of the various reasons of why that wouldn't work.......................

....................................but I bite my tongue and remember that is not the purpose of this thread but rather to support and suggest things that will work. So for the above I say,

GOOD FOR YOU!

That said, if I had to move using a moving truck, I suppose I would get rid of the kitten furniture that I was not carrying with me in the car. They wouldn't see it for a few months, anyhow, it's bulky, probably too fragile to move, and who knows what its carpeting might pick up along the way.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:33 PM

22,486 posts, read 10,408,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Any type of "open container"

By that I mean any type of cleaning supplies, toiletries, art materials, etc. Anything that could spill, and is already opened. I've had many a mess from dragging along a half-empty bottle of whatever that broke open in transit and spilled all over. Use it up or toss it.

Of course, this also applies to foodstuffs, like spices, oils, flour, sugar, etc, etc---whether opened or not. Such could break, attract ants, etc, especially if in storage.
In fact, the mover I am using said no food of any kind, open or unopened.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:26 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Clothes and books, cheap furniture that isn't heirloom, kitchen stuff I rarely use, anything big and bulky I barely use.

If I move long-distance again (and I hope I will!), I'm leaving behind my living room furniture; it's 25 years old and slipcovered, and it would be nice to have new stuff. I'll also sell off 2 or 3 of my collectible dinnerware sets (NOT the Fiesta!).

My last move, which was 500 miles, I did not move my mattress and box spring -- it was 20 years old anyway. I gave it to a friend of mine, and now when I visit her I can sleep in my own bed.

I did move my 500 record albums, though, and will do so again and again until either I go deaf, or until I'm six feet under, whichever comes first.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:44 PM

208 posts, read 127,141 times
We are about 5 months away from our move. Moving from a 1 bedroom apt to a 2 bedroom apt. It is a long distance one, and we are moving with no movers, so we are "traveling light". Selling our sofa set and coffee table, and our 1 bedroom set. We'll buy it anew at our new location and save our backs! We've already looked up replacements prices online, and found great deals!

Also sorting through our clothes and making 3 piles: 1 to take with us, 1 to sell, 1 to donate. If nothing sells, it'll all be donated.

We also are thinking instead of packing up our things in cardboard boxes, we will us storage bins, so they can double as storage in our new place

Old 02-28-2016, 07:58 AM

4,742 posts, read 6,133,493 times
I am already preparing for our upcoming summer move.
1. I went through all of my kitchen utensils and anything I had multiples of or
had not used in awhile went in the Goodwill box. When I finished I could
put what was left in one drawer instead of three.

2. Laundry room cabinets. Practically everything in there went in "the box" as
it had become the place that we just stuck stuff to get it out of site.

3. Spare bedrooms. Old clothes I have no idea why I kept ... in "the box".
Two chairs with broken legs (yes, I intended to repair) out to the curb,
where they were picked up within an hour by those who troll the streets
looking for junk to repair.

It is a good start, but I have so much more. I dread the attic!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:01 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
One of the ways I was able to let go of some sentimal things was to find a good home for them. We had many dearly beloved at one time "grandchildren toys." It was so sad to see them go because there were so many happy memories attached. I finally took some photos of the g'kids favorites (including toy soldiers and little girl play dishes). We gave the toys to a grandmother who had 9 grandkids who often visited her.

Still have too much stuff (local move) but it gets easier and I still am giving more stuff away almost every week!
That is a very good idea. I think if we took photos of my wife's favorite sentimental items that she can part with and maybe put them in an album, she will be able to let go of a lot of it, because a tangible reminder of the memories will still be with her. I racked my brain trying to figure out how to dispose of this stuff without causing her emotional pain, and this may be a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or