U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM

52 posts, read 73,713 times

Advertisements

We are moving long distance in two weeks and started sorting, donating and selling over a year ago. I can't even remember most what we got rid of at the first two yard sales. We sorted through 30 years of belongings and are down to about 25% of what we had accumulated over the years. It was hard to do at first.

It's a wonderful feeling to be free from the burden of all that stuff, and it will be wonderful to pay so much less to move the remaining items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,874,303 times
It totally depends on whether you are paying for the move yourself or if an employer is moving you. We just moved through a corporate relo, so the only things we really got rid of were things we should have or were planning to get rid of already. We were planning on replacing our couches, which were old, so we just ditched those and bought new ones in the new location.

However, if we were moving ourselves and had to pay per pound, etc., I'd sell, toss, or donate anything that would cost as much to move as it would to buy new at the new location. My artwork would be a category of stuff that I wouldn't get rid of. I don't put up artwork just to have artwork up (and if I did do that, I'd be willing to leave it). I buy artwork that I really love and want to display and look at. So those things are some of my most prized possessions.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:24 PM

9,656 posts, read 15,784,643 times
my daughter is in a swap meet club. I routinely giver her old clothes, stuff that doesn't fit, books, etc, etc, whatever she sells it for she keeps the money. In exchange, she hauls it off for me, using BF truck. A win-win solution

Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 AM

22,040 posts, read 10,260,500 times
I think this thread is kind of silly.

Different things mean different things to different people. For some people, books are important. For others their DVD collection is important. For some x is important, for others y is important. It's up to each person to decide what is valuable to them. There is no pat answer, other than to say it's a good time to pare down your belongings, and start thinking about it well in advance.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 PM

5,367 posts, read 5,820,264 times
Yeah when I move each time, I get rid of stuff I don't use anymore, or just random gifts I got that don't really accomplish anything. It's never TOO much, but I filled my Camaro with Goodwill items this last move and had another medium-sized box upon moving and unpacking of yet more stuff that I didn't want, that shouldn't have made the move. It doesn't matter that much in a cross-town move, though, I moved a ton of furniture I didn't want or need with the intention of selling it at the house because it was too tough to sell out of the condo while boxing and packing.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 PM

1,566 posts, read 805,266 times
If it weren't for my boxes and boxes full of sentimental items, I would just throw my cats in the car and go.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM

160 posts, read 118,116 times
I started slowly to clean closet out and we are moving in 3 years lol
Better now as to late and I will donate the stuff to Humane Socity etc.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 5,209 times
I will not move any baking sheets, pots or pans that are in bad shape. My cookie sheets are awful but I plan to keep them and a bad frying pan so I can use them to cook up to the last day and then pitch them as we leave.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 AM

8,843 posts, read 7,638,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Books, of course. I'm loosing all the big, heavy art or picture books I haven't looked at in ten years.

Cookbooks.... if I haven't used them, they go.

DVD's. Art. I found an shelf attachment for my fancy chair that I've never used. It went.

Old shelves, the Christmas tree I didn't bother to set up the past two years.

Old pillows I'll never use.

What are you getting rid of before your move?
Spouse, kids, pets, debts. I think I covered it all..........LOL

Old 03-24-2016, 03:48 PM

7,046 posts, read 4,080,010 times
Sold/Donated most everything for our cross country move. Down to just what we could fit in our RAV4(with the rear seats being occupied by our dog) and a roof cargo carrier and half a pallet's worth of boxes that we shipped via Amtrak Express(by far the cheapest option).

It is very freeing to get rid of a lot of "stuff" that you've had for years just to sit in a closet. Especially those family hand-me-downs. And we are mindful of that as we go out to buy new "stuff". Essentially 16 years worth of a mix of hand me downs and store purchases got traded in on stuff my wife and I actually picked out for ourselves.

So essentially we just moved with clothes(vacuum packed), kitchen stuff, some artwork, books(though paired-down considerably), computers and some other electronics, tools, and not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or