U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:30 AM

37,122 posts, read 45,641,400 times

Advertisements

Be brutally honest with yourself. Do you play the piano, or use the gym?

We downsized, yet still moved 3 trucks full of furniture and tools. We paid a fortune to move things that we ultimately had to get rid of here.
We moved a home gym we never used, and luckily were able to donate it to the local fire dept.
If you donate everything heavy, you can write a fair value off n your taxes. If you can afford a new bedroom set, or a new sofa, then buy them for your new home. If you are moving to a different climate, as we did, you will probably find that your old furniture doesnt feel appropriate anyway.

A few moves ago, we gave our piano to a family whose kids took lessons, they just paid to move it. Churches, grade schools, child care centers are potential receivers of the donation.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-09-2016 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,468,721 times
Thank you all for your excellent advice.

The piano is coming. Not only do I have a sentimental attachment, but I will be re-starting lessons in retirement.

Giving the gym to a fire department is an awesome idea. I'll follow up on that. I really like that gym, and it is a good one, however the 55+ complex to which I will be moving has a small gymnasium, so I won't really need it. I though of giving it to the 55+ gym, but I like the fire department idea much better. Those brave protectors of our homes don't get enough credit or appreciation.

Everything else can be repurchased. New environment, new climate...new life. There are enough funds to outfit a new house once I get resettled. The cost of moving such a long distance is probably a wash with the cost of reacquiring. I'll have to bring the family heirloom furniture, but that's just a couple of pieces.

Was hoping to get a medium sized truck, but just might have to get a large one because of all my bicycles. No! I'm not getting rid of any of them. Those who are fanatical cyclists will understand. All the rest will just bow their heads slightly and shake it slowly side-to-side.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-09-2016, 02:37 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
You might take some of the better items you are on the fence about and offer them for sale, either online or put an ad in a local paper. Those you get a good enough offer on, sell. No good offer, keep, I guess.

Once you decide you need the big truck, you might as well fill it up.

Are you towing a car behind that truck? You can put clothing, bedding, etc. in the car. Does not weigh much. Avoid, of course, displaying any valuables inside the car lest a thug breaks out windows to get at it.

Don't forget to shop the secondhand and Goodwill stores when looking for replacement furniture. The stuff you can't sell and don't want to take can go to Goodwill where you are.

FWIW, I totally understand about the bicycles. Hobby items get special status, they are "generators of fun" and so you take them with!

Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 PM

3,938 posts, read 7,524,598 times
One thing we wished we had kept was the bookcase. It didn't seem like anything special until we started shopping for bookcases and learned that most did not have wood backs, and those that did were very expensive.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,407,863 times
This may help:
What did you do to downsize today?

I am in a similar situation. Just retired. Realtor coming today to sign papers to list the house and then we will buy a motorhome and travel full time. We will travel around and decide where to settle.

We are downsizing big time but will rent a small storage unit. Getting rid of all the furniture except my childhood dresser. A contractor friend did significant home repairs in exchange for first pick of all the furniture. I suspect he will take all of it. Before we made this deal I wanted to store all the furniture only because I hate buying furniture. The wife pointed out we will move the furniture twice, need a larger storage unit, and it might not fit/match where we move to. Plus, it is simply not worth much and has no sentimental value. I agreed.

The other stuff I am using CL, eBay, charity donation, and a Facebook yardsale group. We gave a bunch of clothes to a high school drama department. A lot is going in the trash.

We have an old pickup which I have a buyer for for $2K. Wife's car will be stored at a friend's place under cover until we land somewhere. She won't sell it. Don't even ask. My car will be towed behind the motorhome.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 762,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Was hoping to get a medium sized truck, but just might have to get a large one because of all my bicycles. No! I'm not getting rid of any of them. Those who are fanatical cyclists will understand. All the rest will just bow their heads slightly and shake it slowly side-to-side.

the correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
the correct number of bikes to own is n+1
Yup. You totally get it!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:06 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,020,437 times
I haven't retired yet, but I'm in my late 50s and transferred from Ohio to Iowa three years ago. I had 17 years' worth of things crammed into a small house, as well as "stuff" that was left from two estates that "certain relatives" were supposed to pick up but just kept giving me excuses why they couldn't -- and this had gone on for 3 years!

OP, I did two things which worked out really well:

1. I gave "certain relatives" a deadline two months away (Memorial Day Weekend) and said that if they didn't come and get the stuff (or send me $ to ship it) by the end of that weekend, then on Tuesday, I was going to call Sally Army to come pick it up.

2. I decided to rent two ABF Relocubes. What didn't fit in those and my car wasn't making the move.

The deadline worked for two relatives (but not the others) and the two drove down and got their "stuff." As promised, I called Sally Army on Tuesday. They came several days later and took it. And then the howling from those relatives began, but I blocked their calls and haven't spoken to them since.

The Relocubes were the right way to go for me. They made me really evaluate what was important. In college, I moved around with what I could fit into a pickup truck, so it made sense for me to get back to something close to that level. I was so glad that I did! I kept several small, solid wood pieces, but I got rid of all the marginal furniture, and I didn't re-purchase the bulk of it. I love all the space in my house now! I did end up buying a few plastic outside chairs but gone are the multiple end tables and junk bunkers.

As for the bikes, that's your business. (:

Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM

Default What is this "law" called?

What is this "law" called?

Anyone with the slightest understanding of science knows that there are natural and physical "laws". What this means is that it has been mathematically proven that there are absolutely no exceptions in our world/universe to this law. Newtonian physics give us some of the most commonly known laws, such as his Laws of Thermodynamics.

Of course, the whimsical mind of humankind have expended upon these natural laws to include many others; probably the best known is "Murphy's Law", (i.e., Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.).

Throughout my life, and especially in this current downsizing, I have come to the realization that there exists another natural "law", but I don't know what it is called. What this "law" states is . . .

Quote:
In this life, you are given an allocation of space.

You will fill this space to capacity with stuff.
Doesn't matter how little or how much space you are given, eventually it will be filled with 'stuff'. Good, valuable stuff, but stuff non-the-less. In my case, I have a three-car garage, four-bedroom, 2,850 square foot house that I occupy by myself. It is totally filled with stuff! I'll be going to a place half the size, hence the dilemma about what to get rid of and what to keep.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:23 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,020,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It is totally filled with stuff! I'll be going to a place half the size, hence the dilemma about what to get rid of and what to keep.
One other thing that helped me was being honest about how I really spent my time or wanted to spend my time when I got moved. I totally downsized the kitchen crap (I DID NOT need 7 slow cookers, even when I was helping with church suppers), and stuck to my limits (the Relocubes). I went from totally stuffed kitchen cupboards to one office-sized copy box of dishes, silverware, glasses, and cups & one larger box of basic bakeware (cookie sheets, bread pans, and ONE slow cooker), plus a frying pan and 2 pots. Since then, I've only added a smaller frying pan and a thick, tiny pot for making hot chocolate/melting chocolate.

I decided that if I ever needed to entertain more than four people at a time, I would take them to a restaurant! So far, that decision has worked out. I've also stopped making massive amounts of cookies and sweets at Christmas time, so now only two cookie sheets are necessary (not 8), and most of the time, I only need one.

That's just one example, but that sort of thinking can be done with any collection. It's one thing if you're actively doing certain activities, but I'll bet you'll find a lot of "someday" equipment and projects that might be best moved on. We all only have 24 hours in a day and x amount of energy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or