U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,501,099 times

Advertisements

This seems pretty depressing. If I'm spending thousands of dollars, I think they should do things on my schedule, and not when they feel like it. All signs seem to point to getting a 2nd driver and renting a Penske or similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:13 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothly323 View Post
4-6 days for a full truck 1400 miles is actually kind of slow. Mover's are eager to get big moves off their trucks to free up the space.
Drivers are limited to 500 miles or 12 hours per day.
Freight companies work in a relay system, so drivers drive from one depot to the next and exchange trailers keeping everything moving regardless of driver limits. Movers typically have the same driver the whole way, so it can take longer.
Who told you truck drivers are limited to that ^^^^^?
Whomever did, they are wrong.

OP: It can take anywhere from one week however long, it depends on the company you use, how much you have, what other stops they have to make, how far they are driving, if there are any mechanical failures, if someone happens to get sick, etc. etc.
One company we called to move us a 5 hour car drive told me it would be 10 days from pick up to delivery. I declined their services.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:15 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
This seems pretty depressing. If I'm spending thousands of dollars, I think they should do things on my schedule, and not when they feel like it. All signs seem to point to getting a 2nd driver and renting a Penske or similar.
Really? Does your schedule include Federal mandated laws, requirements and guidelines that must be followed by anyone who has a CDL or employs anyone who has a CDL.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Really? Does your schedule include Federal mandated laws, requirements and guidelines that must be followed by anyone who has a CDL or employs anyone who has a CDL.
My schedule is reasonably flexible. But that doesn't mean it's acceptable to say I want my stuff to arrive on day X (with plenty of notice in advance) and have them show up a week later. I'm not interested in staying in a hotel for a week (or longer) and paying double rent. I've had furniture delivery (not the same as a moving service, I know) before take months, and they only delivered it when I threatened to call the bank and get my money refunded.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 AM

22,059 posts, read 10,266,157 times
I had an appointment with the local 2 Men And A Truck franchise about a move from Colorado Springs to Phoenix, Arizona. Their policy is that they use a truck the size appropriate to your load, and they outlined that my move-drive would take 2 days, with unloading the third morning (as I recall, Colorado Springs to Albuquerque, then Albuquerque to Phoenix). In fact, I asked if they could "hold" my stuff for 1 day before the move, and they said yes, for a fee; I was concerned if I had car trouble or something that they could beat me to Phoenix. They said to remember that they drove only (as I recall) 55 mph, even on the interstate. (Keep in mind, I didn't write all this down, but it's how I remember the conversation, and I am hiring them for the move when the time comes).

Old 02-18-2016, 10:48 AM

I had a good experience with 2 men and a truck before, but my sense is they're better for local moves. They do long-distance moves, but I heard they did a move from OH to AZ for someone with a 1- (maybe 2-) bedroom apartment, and it ended up costing around $8k. That's just crazy.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 AM

22,059 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Quote:
I had a good experience with 2 men and a truck before, but my sense is they're better for local moves. They do long-distance moves, but I heard they did a move from OH to AZ for someone with a 1- (maybe 2-) bedroom apartment, and it ended up costing around $8k. That's just crazy.
I had talked to one of the big movers, as well, and the price was almost the same, but with the big movers it could be 14 or more days (as I recall) between moving out and moving in, meaning 12 days in a hotel and eating out. No bargain there.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,665,639 times
there, in my experience, seems to be a lot of crazy information in this thread.

First, there is a HUGE difference between using a professional mover, and using a rental truck and some local help.

Second, IF you fill the truck--whether it is a big rig, or a truck sized to your job, figure 50 miles per hour. Yu know the miles, so you can do the math. The truck is slower than your passenger car, stops for breaks more often, takes time to fuel, and will more than likely stop overnight somewhere if it is a more than a one day trip.

Was it you, OP, who said it was a two day load (typical for a medium sized house), then time to travel, and a one day unload? That is your schedule. If the mover is splitting the truck, you need to know, and get an appropriate schedule. High quality movers don't give you a lot of BS and run-around. They tell it straight up. If your goods are in storage during the move, they need to tell you, ensure that they are secure, and have an agreement on when the goods will move, and when they will arrive.

There are other threads in here on how to find a mover, how to interview them and get estimates, and what to expect--smoking, wrapping, footwear, blankets, etc. Take a look at what you should expect. Then go look at the facilities and trucks. Looks like a dump? Avoid the mover.

A good mover is like a painter: we can all use a paint brush and pack/move a box. But it is a pleasure to watch a professional team (no more than four guys--they just get in each others way and things get damaged) pack your furniture, load your boxes, and stack things in the truck. Feed and water them well; tip them well if they do a good job (on each end--the best movers use the same crew on each end--they go with the truck) and simply say "thank you". You will appreciate sitting back in your favorite chair at your new location before you know it, and will feel a sense of satisfaction at having engaged a professional team.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM

Nope. Just a 1-bedroom apartment. No work for them to do at point A other than lifting. Everything will already be in boxes, furniture wrapped up, etc. Should take maybe an hour or so of work before hitting the road.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:39 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,929,830 times
Quote:
Nope. Just a 1-bedroom apartment. No work for them to do at point A other than lifting. Everything will already be in boxes, furniture wrapped up, etc. Should take maybe an hour or so of work before hitting the road.
So this will be a partial load, with all of the associated scheduling issues.

Also, keep in mind that most movers will not be held responsible for damages to anything you packed yourself.

In your situation I would just drive a truck, and you might even be able to tow a car behind the truck to avoid hiring a second driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or