U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:19 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,257,322 times

Advertisements

Every night when I go to bed I am taking a leap of faith that I will wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 07:24 PM

169 posts, read 120,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not counting the time I decided to travel with carnivals.... and the military...
Let's see, I moved from TN to MS but not far and worked the same job. Then to CT, then to HI, then to GA, then to CT again. I'll make at least one more leap before it's all over with because, despite my love for CT, it's not retirement friendly. So what's that all together? Half a dozen?
Courage is everything. I guess I have taken a leap of faith that I'd forgotten about. I left a very well paying job and I have no regrets. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,014,955 times
my 1 leap of faith was convincing my wife we needed to get out of NY. We had both grown up in NY and our 3 kids were well adjusted to their schools in one of the poorest suburbs of NYC.

My college room mate lived in Arkansas and suggested that we come check the area out but over 4 or 5 years I could never get the wife to want to even see the place.

One day she just changed her mind and said, OK lets go take a look so we drove 11 hours from New Orleans north for 1 day only to drive back to New Orleans for our plane back to NY.

Got home and she found a job the next week and accepted the offer. In less than 1.5 months she had moved while I got the house prepared and listed for sale.

6 months from our 1 day visit, I moved to Arkansas and it's the best move we've made so far.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,141,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
One of my co-workers took a leap of faith and moved to another state. I don't know that I've really and truly taken a leap of faith. Is this something that you can do more than once..how do you know if it's a once in a lifetime? I guess we'll never know if we don't try.
I'm timid, so a lot of things are a leap of faith for me (even if they might not be to someone else). A new job, a new location, a new relationship.... at some point I just have to let go and, well, go for it. It's exhilarating to take a risk like that and have it work out even better than I hoped.

If it doesn't work out, I have to pick myself up and go on with my life. As timid as I am, I also have a brain so I use it. I try to logically figure out if what I am doing is a reasonably intelligent thing to do. It's helpful to have a plan in case that leap of faith goes bad. I'm not going to move somewhere that I don't know anyone, unless I have enough saved up to move back if everything goes wrong.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM

77 posts, read 55,072 times
Prepping for my first! (MI to OR, later to BC) After that, who knows... There are just too many (possibly) exciting places to live in the world to settle for just one.

NYC, LA, Austin, London and Sydney are all on my "hypothetical future moves" radar.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:19 AM

511 posts, read 681,769 times
Way too many!!

1)I moved from Texas to Maryland for TruLuv™
2) When that fizzled, I moved to Virginia, knowing no one.
3) I moved to California to become a dotcom millionaire.
4) When THAT fizzled, I moved back to Virginia with almost no money.
4.5) I signed a lease on a house with nothing but a contract position.
5) Motherhood was the biggest leap of faith.
6) When my little ones left the NICU after four months, we moved to Texas without knowing where we would live.
7) I spent their first year home on unemployment walking in faith that the right job would materialize before my benefits and their SSI ran out - and it did!

Maybe most of those were leaps of stupidity but God bless the broken road, you know?

Old 03-14-2016, 12:02 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,036,093 times
After a divorce I met another lady. Fell in love and moved with her and her kids to another state. Started completely over. Worked out well. We have a child and grandchildren.. Married 25 years.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,225,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Way too many!!

1)I moved from Texas to Maryland for TruLuv™
2) When that fizzled, I moved to Virginia, knowing no one.
3) I moved to California to become a dotcom millionaire.
4) When THAT fizzled, I moved back to Virginia with almost no money.
4.5) I signed a lease on a house with nothing but a contract position.
5) Motherhood was the biggest leap of faith.
6) When my little ones left the NICU after four months, we moved to Texas without knowing where we would live.
7) I spent their first year home on unemployment walking in faith that the right job would materialize before my benefits and their SSI ran out - and it did!

Maybe most of those were leaps of stupidity but God bless the broken road, you know?
At least, you tried. I can say the same about myself minus the real heartbreaks. Those who espouse effort and yet expend little are usually casted to a fate that is ultimately less than desirable. Said another way, better to have lived, loved and failed than to sit on your assets, do nothing, try nothing, expend no effort and promptly sit back and EXPECT others to pay for you forever more...

That in general is the left to a large degree....if you live in da' hood, MOVE.....I did, three times with literally less than a grand in my pocket, a wreck for a car, and nooooooooooooo jobs waiting.....that started almost 40 years ago.....if you do not have the subsidies to make it quicker, I recommend it highly.....although I was never in da' hood, I did leave a mid-western dying city for a better life.

Mission accomplished.

Why so many people trap themselves mentally into a constant state of danger and fear is beyond me. I would recommend to ANYONE that if you have nothing going for yourself and few prospects if any of a positive change, MOVE.....I chose a state that was growing....it was that simple. Suggest others do the same....

Be prepared to sleep on the floor for a few months after you land an apartment and go from there....you will be amazed at your own internal resolve once you are truly, and finally on your own....for me, it was actually liberating...and this was after 4 years in the Marines.....you CAN and WILL make it if you do the right things and expend the EFFORT necessary to get ahead....it is never easy and there will be years will one will wonder if it was worth the effort...eventually you prevail.

And while you may not end up being the CEO of anything, you are the CEO of you. And with that, you can at least take the baby steps necessary to craawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl out of a bleak existence and improve things eventually. Something most would/will never do if they stay in their circumstance.

Sam Kinnison was right...move to where the "food/jobs" are.....I did, never looked back and it's a path, despite it's numerous heartbreaks, that I would recommend....highly?

Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 PM

8,925 posts, read 2,765,544 times
Hubs and I sold our home and moved to another city a few hours away from our hometown. We are both 60, and never lived anywhere else before (except about 40 years prior when we moved half-way across the country, being young and foolish, lol. We moved back after a year and a half).

We are both retired now because selling our home allowed us to make that happen, plus we've been saving all our lives to be able to do something different. Maybe others will tell you that moving only a few hours away isn't really considered a move, but I think any move is a major move, when your entire lifestyle changes with it -- including leaving everyone and everything and a job that is familiar.

It was a difficult adjustment at first. But now 9 months later, we're both glad we did it. Don't be afraid to try something new. We only get one life to live.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 PM

289 posts, read 285,170 times
Moved 3,000 miles to a place i have never been before (had a job lined up). Thankfully, it has worked out extremely well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues