Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,817 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving around the end of just from fort lauderdale to alachua florida. We have about 5,000 square feet of stuff (ugh).. Trying to cut back but that's what we have now..

Are there any companies other than PODS who provide similar services ??

We also have 2 20' standard shipping containers that we own.

Thinking of using the shipping containers for lots of our outdoor stuff (lots of park benches and outside tables,etc)..

Where can we go to find out shipping costs for the containers we own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
PackRat, Mayflower, UPack (ABF) and U-Haul all provide POD like containers.

As far as using your own containers, I now that some services use then on trains and you may be able to have it trucked through U-Ship to a train depot and then pick up on the other end, or just use UShip for moving the containers.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM

thanks for the info.. i had checked moveBudda, but didn't come across the 53ft semi-trailer option, only 28 footers.. what's the timing on those ??? w/ the pods, i can have a few days to pack & unpack...

Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
We used a combination of UPack (ABF) and a company called Broadway Express for our move from NJ to SC in 2006. Broadway Express provided space in their huge 18-wheeler, and severely underestimated how much space we'd need (they didn't believe me when I said we had a lot of stuff crammed into our 1800 sq ft home). We used the ABF container to pack up everything else that didn't fit on the BE rig.

Cost for the move was minimal compared to using traditional moving companies, but it was also a LOT of work since we had to pack up everything ourselves, and provide moving men on both ends of the move. BE and ABF only provided the space, not the labor.

If we move again, I'm hiring movers to do the whole kit and kaboodle, no matter the cost.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:48 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
thanks for the info.. i had checked moveBudda, but didn't come across the 53ft semi-trailer option, only 28 footers.. what's the timing on those ??? w/ the pods, i can have a few days to pack & unpack...
ABF U-Pack, and Old Dominion, 28' trailers can be left on-site for 3 days for loading and unloading. They can also be stored enroute without unloading.

http://www.upack.com/moving-trailer
https://www.odmove.com/ODMove/

Old 03-28-2016, 03:53 PM

reed303,

thanks for the great info... upack can't help us, but odmove seems to be a great winner...

2 28' trailers 300+ miles approx $1,800...

nice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues