Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 05:17 PM

658 posts, read 722,261 times

Advertisements

Short and to the point:

Hired a moving labor company through MovingHelper.com and they sent over 2 guys to load/unload Uhaul I rented. At some point one of the guys' had his phone in the truck and a piece of wood fell and cracked the screen. The wood had been taken off of a TV console by the other mover guy, actually. The phone guy is blaming my husband demanding he pay $200 to fix it. Called the company and owner is taking no responsibility. MovingHelper.com says it is movers' problem, his personal property was negligently left in truck during work. Mover dragged my husband to a Sprint store to get estimate (in the $1.09 a mile U haul TYVM with a deadline to get it back! Wasting our time.)

I said leave me contact info and we will investigate and he didn't like this, wanted cash up front. His boss even told us we can "make installments." I said take it to small claims. Mover guy "reminds me" that I will have to pay his wages if he goes to court.

What say you? Who is liable? Who was negligent? I have my own thoughts on it but wanted unbiased opinions.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:44 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Based on what you're saying mover is liable, and he can't sue you for lost wages if you;re taken to small claims court. Tell him "go ahead and sue me.", chances are he won't, it'd cost him time and money. It's probably a bluff. And it could be a scam, did you see it getting broke. Have him prove it, the judge would. Right now it's a he says she says situation.
He may have broke it days ago and is looking for a scapegoat. If he hassles you tell to call your lawyer and give him a lawyer number if he asks. Take one out of the phone book. He'll run.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
The hourly worker is under contract to “work” loading and unloading, if he placed “his” personal property (the cell phone) in a location that it gets damaged it isn’t anyone’s fault other than his own. You never had his phone you never saw his phone, you didn’t place his phone down, you are simply not responsible for his property that wasn’t needed on the jobsite. Personal responsibility his problem.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:29 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Sounds like a scam on their part, especially with the "boss" suggesting installments. You probably feel harassed, maybe even threatened. If your husband was taken to a store against his will, that's unlawful detainment at a minimum. Therefore, you could mention you're thinking about getting the police involved. See how fast they run.

Is this the website? https://www.movinghelper.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
Let the website know what these guys are doing. The website says it's a partner with U-Haul so let U-Haul's national office know what they're doing. Just tell them your experiences.

Also, nowadays you could use social media. Post on Facebook and Twitter about your experience to embarrass U-Haul into a better response, if needed, since they are the partner per the website. Whatever the case, I wouldn't give them a cent. It makes it that much easier for them to do this to their next customers.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
I'd tell them to get real and get out!

This very problem is a reason people end up with bounty.

I have two dogs with a very strong sense of other people coming to my home. I was waiting for the pest control guy to get here (Sometime between 3-7 p.m. I waited and waited because the company working on my house hired them for this project and I was an 'out-of-town project).

The guy said he knocked on the door, but the dogs didn't move or perk up as they normally do. I walked into the bathroom to get whatever off my shirt, I ended up taking it off an pulled another from the laundry basket It was then I saw there was a guy standing in my window, in which had to climbed the locked fence with the indication there were dogs. I said, "What the Hell??!" He said he was the pest control guy and I asked him how he got into my fenced, gated and locked fence and he said I climbed it over there. I said, "Well, you can just climb back over it and leave."

They sent me a bill for $300.00 and the contractor said since it was am access requirement in my contract I was responsible to pay then. OH SURE, YEAH RIGHT. They were suppose to be here before construction and this was a month after completion. We'd already signed the papers stating everything in black and white that they were done. So, they dropped the ball. Not to mention the peeping tom and they wanted me to let him in my house as I was alone.

They threatened to take me to small claims court and subpoena my construction issues (there weren't any) and I, in turn, threatened them with going to the Better Business Bureau and the internet "what was your experience with this company) I told them they were insane and bottom line, you should be calling me to apologize for the fact the worker violated law of breaking and entering. The signs are clearly marked. I also indicated that no one even bothered to call me when he was on his way after sitting here for 4 hours waiting. I'm getting threats of 'we'll let the judge decide' letters. Longer story short, I never heard from them ever again. No letters or phone calls. It just abruptly stopped.

No one is responsible for anyone's personal property and their own unprofessionalism. It's not as if you went out and took a hammer to it. If they couldn't handle the wood correctly that IS THEIR problem, you aren't responsible for a paid worker's incompetence. Unless you went out and smashed it with a hammer yourself.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Here's one review about moving helpers...not good.
Moving Help - Review in Transportation and Storage category from Whitesburg, Kentucky Review 162404 Apr 21 @ Pissed Consumer

Here's more...
http://moving-help.pissedconsumer.com/

Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
We moved with Graebel and now three months after the fact, they started sending us bills although they were paid in full at the time of the move. I think they just like get what they can from people who stressed from moving and vulnerable.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,093 times
I don't understand the premise of how you could be liable. You aren't the employer so I don't see how you can be liable as its not really your work site.

You hired out a service. The only issue is that it is a third party contractor and they don't want to take responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues