U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:38 PM

208 posts, read 127,302 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating out of state in the summer (Tampa, fl), and we are going there next week for spring break. During this trip, we'll start looking at apartments. The thing is that it will be the only time we can go there before our move in mid-July (because of work obligations), so this is our one shot to pick something suitable. I am aware that since our move is about 3 months away, if next week we see a place we like, we might lose it by the time July comes around. So our goal is to see as many vacant apartments as possible during our visit next week, so when the time to pick one comes, we have a pool of places we have seen to pick from (if still available then). Do you think that's a good idea?

With our particular circumstances in mind, does anyone have tips on what to look for when apartment hunting in a new area, and what to watch out for? Even suggestions on how to successfully find a good apartment to move to when relocating to a new state would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:09 PM

8,957 posts, read 5,097,849 times
Tip; no apartment within walking distance of low rent area, apartment parking lot are prime targets for car break ins

Old 04-03-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Tip; no apartment within walking distance of low rent area, apartment parking lot are prime targets for car break ins
Thank you brownbagg, good tip

Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM

4,513 posts, read 3,920,445 times
We did almost the same, but we went to Clearwater.

I did TONS of online research. Reviews, crime stats, google street view, anything I could think of. Then I made a list of the possible places.

After that I emailed them all. Told them we were moving at XX time and would they have any apartments available that met our specific needs. Apartments turn over all year long.

Once I had the smaller list of who would have what available we went and looked on a trip. Of the few left on our list, one was really great and we told them we wanted to apply.

The application process takes time, so you'll want to make your decision while you are there.

We got the apartment and moved in with no problems. It was a great place and we were happy while we were there - we used it as a step towards owning a home so we were not looking for a long term place.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,291,603 times
Have you done a search in the Renting forum?http://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Thank you kab0906 so much for sharing about your experience, it's very encouraging!
For the past 8 months, I have been (like you mentioned) researching about the area, looking at crime maps, reading city data for info on neighborhoods, and surfing plenty of apartment rental sites. I have a long list now, and started contacting them. Planning to see the most promising ones during our trip. Hopefully, once we visit, we'll know for sure the ones we like.

I have a few on my list in clearwater, and so far looks like we won't be disappointed looking at the Google street images.

I'm glad you were happy about your choice. From your own apartment hunt, do you have any places you would recommend to us? (We are in our early 30s, I'm a nurse, my hubby's a teacher, no kids yet but planning on it soon!)

You can pm me if needed.

Again, thanks for your help!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,288,407 times
When we (hubby, wife, and elementary aged son) needed a temporary short term apartment while house hunting in Arizona, one thing I did was notice based on review sites which apt communities had a mix in age ranges. From singles, to families, to seniors. It seemed that those diverse in age communities were more stable with no wild parties and problems.

We actually rented the place sight unseen and it turned out just fine. We lived there for about 2 months until we found the right house.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,431,692 times
I would avoid something walking distance or a short drive to a University in hopes you won't have many student neighbors. If you need any kind of view (if look onto parking lots or directly into another balcony) then you must be very clear with the apartment managers.

Try for the top floor for security and no upstairs heavy footedness.

I like www.padmapper.com to see rentals on a map. Also go to the local city forum here in CD and ask about specific apartment recommendations. Be sure to include your budget, family size, work locations, and if schools are important.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I wouldn't expect anything to still be available in 3 months. But, if you look at a bunch of apartments in different neighborhoods, you'll know what is a good price and where you'd want to live. So, you can then keep an eye on places that come up for rent, and see if you can go ahead and rent it long-distance.

Also, you can meet managers of apartment buildings and get on a waiting list, and keep checking back with them.

I rented next to a university in Silicon Valley, CA. I rented to students and techies, often sight-unseen. Students would often call to ask about rentals to be available in several months. I never knew when I'd get a vacancy, but I'd keep their name and number for when something became available, and I'd tell them to feel free to keep checking with me.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
one thing I did was notice based on review sites which apt communities had a mix in age ranges. From singles, to families, to seniors. It seemed that those diverse in age communities were more stable with no wild parties and problems.
Interesting...I never thought about that. Which sites give the ranges of the tenants though?? I have not seen it on any of the sites I have visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or