U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:17 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,269,958 times

Advertisements

I thank all who have responded on how they've successfully moved their pets by themselves in their own vehicles. And I appreciate those who have suggested we do the same.

However, the intent of this thread is to seek feedback from those who have used a pet transportation service to move their pets, as we have determined that to move them ourselves is just not going to work for us.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,186,655 times
You're right. We've all talked around your question but no one here could answer it directly.

Have you checked online reviews? They actually seem pretty good.

Royal Paws Nationwide Pet Transportation - Pet Services - Greater Arlington - Jacksonville, FL - Reviews - Yelp

For Those Not Down With Flying Their Dogs, Royal Paws Will Drive Your Pup Cross Country - This Dog's Life

Old 04-10-2016, 12:24 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,353,233 times
I can see the value of shipping considering the sized cars you'll be driving. I've been from MS to CT to HI to GA and back to CT all with 2 dogs and picking up a Hawaiian cat. We've shipped via air and I once used U-ship for a Great Dane. (amazing experience)

If you have a reputable company picked out then go with them. (I'd be reading customer feedback) It's going to be traumatic no matter what. But you'll be able to relax if you don't have to worry about hearing meow the whole trip. Plus you can time it so your place will be ready when the cats get there.

Microchip!!

Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,221,122 times
I'm thinking that you guys need to find a way to make it work in your cars.

Cats get stressed out when traveling and to not have a familiar face and smells would be even more stressful.

Put two cats in one carrier in one car and one cat and carrier in another car.

I did this from Myrtle Beach, SC to Sarasota, Florida then 18 months later over to Fort Lauderdale.

LaQuintas are pet friendly.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,482,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Ha ha ha! Good catch. Should have said, "We're moving from NC to FL and would otherwise need to take our three cats in the two cars we'll be driving."

I drive a Corvette, in which we would have to put two carriers in the back, and she drives a Miata, which would need a carrier in the passenger seat. This in addition to all the luggage we'll need for the next 4-6 weeks.

So you can see that this would be more of a hardship for us versus those who drive SUVs!
Wow, I bought a new Honda crv to move from MA to FL why for the 2 dogs and crate. Just teasing but glad I did since ac is a must here. My trip was 2 days and hotels were pet friendly.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:35 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,269,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
... It's going to be traumatic no matter what. But you'll be able to relax if you don't have to worry about hearing meow the whole trip. ...
Probably more traumatic for the owners! The cats'll most likely sleep the whole way.

Speaking of "meow," one of our cats sounds like she's saying, "WHAAAAT?? WHAAAAT??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm thinking that you guys need to find a way to make it work in your cars.

We CAN make it work in the cars. That was Plan A for months. But the more we thought of it, the more we liked the idea of removing one more layer of stress from our relocation.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:39 PM

264 posts, read 618,406 times
Anyone here experienced with transport pet fish?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:18 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,919,839 times
When I moved from LA to Little Rock I used a pet shipping service to transport my 6 cats. It worked out fine. The last two times I moved was a shorter distance and I just had them in their carriers in the back of my car. Haggie peed in his carrier not even an hour out. We had to stop and clean up the mess and then he spent the rest of the trip laying on a towel covered pillow on my lap. He was happy as a clam. He loved looking out the window.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:30 PM

698 posts, read 763,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
NC to FLA is not that far. Personally, I have three cats that I have traveled with and I would never hire a transport service. They are better off with you, where you can speak softly to them and reassure them. Just get roomy carriers

Cats are tough - NC to FLA is not a big deal.
I agree completely!

If the car is full of boxes etc, ship a few boxes ahead via UPS to make room for the carriers.

Good Luck with your move!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:43 PM

698 posts, read 763,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
However, the intent of this thread is to seek feedback from those who have used a pet transportation service to move their pets, as we have determined that to move them ourselves is just not going to work for us.
I haven't had experience with a pet transportation service but did fly my dog cargo cross country and would not recommend it. A normally calm, confident dog came off that plane a basket case for months.

I would consider a pet transportation service only if they got very high reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or