U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:06 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,269,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
Anyone here experienced with transport pet fish?
I would imagine that a service specializing in transporting exotic animals or reptiles would be equipped to move tropical fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
I haven't had experience with a pet transportation service but did fly my dog cargo cross country and would not recommend it. A normally calm, confident dog came off that plane a basket case for months.
We moved three cats across the country twice by flight. Once from PA to CA and once from CA to NC and they were fine. And one of them was 17 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:33 PM

6,556 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Does anyone have any experience in a company dealing with pet transport? We're moving from NC to FL and would need to take our three cats in the two cars we'll be driving.

Anyone know anything about a service called "We Move Pets"?

What has been YOUR experience moving your cats or dogs?
I would NOT entrust the transport of my beloved pets to a service, if I'm driving. They'd go in the car with me.

Get some valium from a vet. Many cats don't travel well and will make a fuss. My vet said it's safe and gave me valium for my cat for a 4 hour trip once. I gave her only half, per the vet. But it didn't seem to have much effect. She carried on like nobody's business. I had to stop the car, move her carrier further to the back, turn it around, and turn the radio up. She kicked up such a fuss that her carrier was rocking from side to side. Until finally I guess she fell asleep.

She was a little better on the way back.

But it was worth it. I knew she was safe, in environmentally controlled car, and cared for. When I stopped along the way, I was careful NOT to open her carrier when any door was open. While inside the car, I offered her water, which she testify refused.

No way I would entrust her to a transport company. She could get overheated, or thirsty, or freak out without me there. I would check out the valium, though, and make sure you give them enough. Your cats will fare much better with you around. It will give them some comfort. (Most don't kick up as much a fuss as mine; She was neurotic.)

Old 04-10-2016, 11:41 PM

I would encourage doubters to read what one carrier says about their cat transportation service :

Cat Transportation - Royal Paws

Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 AM

698 posts, read 763,761 times
Quote:
I would encourage doubters to read what one carrier says about their cat transportation service :

Cat Transportation - Royal Paws

If this is what will work for you then go for it, please report back so we know how it went.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
If this is what will work for you then go for it, please report back so we know how it went.
Will do. Our move's still over a month away - and we're still researching, but this thread wouldn't be complete without a "So. How'd it go?" update, so watch for that.

Meantime I'd like to remind readers that this thread was never intended as a request to help us decide whether or not to move our pets in our cars (see post #9.) It is meant to help us and other readers find a qualified pet moving service.

Granted, I did ask in my original post, "What has been YOUR experience moving your cats or dogs?" and you all have shared your experience and opinions. But my wife and I have expressed a desire to professionally move our pets and we're pretty much set on that decision.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,132,083 times
Quote:
Will do. Our move's still over a month away - and we're still researching, but this thread wouldn't be complete without a "So. How'd it go?" update, so watch for that.

Meantime I'd like to remind readers that this thread was never intended as a request to help us decide whether or not to move our pets in our cars (see post #9.) It is meant to help us and other readers find a qualified pet moving service.

Granted, I did ask in my original post, "What has been YOUR experience moving your cats or dogs?" and you all have shared your experience and opinions. But my wife and I have expressed a desire to professionally move our pets and we're pretty much set on that decision.
Reminder: You get all kinds of replies on message boards,

ESPECIALLY when asking "what's been YOUR experience" and especially about animals.

I could have been alot more opinionated and said this company is full of crap because you CANNOT PROMISE TO not crate someone's animals for such a long trip. Hell, it's not even recommended for routine safety purposes and CERTAINLY NEVER with CATS! LMFAO.

I'm sure the odor of cat urine, virtually like nuclear waste embedded in the carpets and seats, wafting around the vehicles is very pleasant, too.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

I'm sure the odor of cat urine, virtually like nuclear waste embedded in the carpets and seats, wafting around the vehicles is very pleasant, too.
Can you imagine that smell in the back of a Corvette?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 AM

371 posts, read 394,430 times
I flew with my dog years ago to Anchorage, AK from NYC. The airline "lost" the dog! It took three days and numerous pleas to the airline before someone finally located her. She was in a crate all that time with no food or water. It turned out that although I had all the required documentation, arrived at the airport early, and did everything correctly, they still managed to screw it up. Apparently she was placed on the wrong plane at JFK and it went downhill from there. The airline didn't care at all; in fact, it was a woman who worked at another airline counter who overheard my conversation with customer service that eventually located the dog. I am forever in that woman's debt for her assistance.

I drove from Massachusetts to Oregon last summer with a dog and a cat, and my son was in his car with his two cats following behind. I drove back in November again with my pets. I would NEVER trust any transport company with live animals ever again. I would rather ship my car and belongings than my pets.

And cats loose in an SUV? That doesn't even make any sense, unless they have a barrier between the driver and the cats. Even then, how do they catch them? What if they get scared and hide under the seats? What about litter? What if they are in accident? If you decide to go this route, do yourself and your kitties a favor and 1) microchip your cats and 2) transport them in a carrier clearly labelled with your contact information and use a zip-tie to fasten the carrier door.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 PM

82 posts, read 63,004 times
Hi, Corvette. We moved 1300 miles last September, from St. Louis to Park City, Utah, and used TLC Pet Transport. I'd received bids from Royal Paws and TLC, but Royal Paws wasn't able to accommodate our schedule.

We used a service because of our timing. Our movers loaded our entire house on Monday, Labor Day, and began driving before noon. We spent Monday cleaning the house we sold in STL. Stayed in a hotel that night and left the cats, with their food, water, and litter boxes, in the house so they could have the familiarity and calm.

Tuesday morning we met the TLC driver at the house. She loaded up the cats and started driving. We went to our house closing and then we started driving with all our last minute clothing and other items in the car with us. In order to meet our movers on time we had to drive 1300 miles straight through, with just a quick nap in a rest area. The TLC driver was going to go slower and potentially meet us at the new place simultaneously with the movers.

TLC provided a full size van with only our 3 cats in it. One of our cats isn't fond of other animals, so he was able to be separated by a partition. It was less stress for everyone if he couldn't see the others. The other two were together. The van had room for our three litter boxes, bowls, and food, which wouldn't have fit in our car.

The cloth carriers were 31" long by 24" high and 22" wide. It was room enough for a cat, small litter box, food and water bowls. We put worn clothing in each carrier so the cats would have our smells with them for familiarity.

As it turned out the movers were at our new place first, even after stopping to sleep each of two nights. The TLC transport pulled up about 30 minutes after we did. It was quite busy for about an hour, but we were able to keep the cats separated from the movers craziness until it was safe and quiet enough to bring them in.

Overall we were very happy with TLC. Considering we were only bringing one vehicle with the things we needed for us, this was really our only option (we didn't consider flying them, which wouldn't have worked with us driving 1300 miles anyway). I had to go back to STL after 10 days for work and used our second car while I was there for several weeks. Once that was done I drove our second car back to Utah.

The cats came through unscathed and pretty calm. One even seemed to enjoy the drive. The other two - it took them a bit to calm down. The driver provided her cell phone and we could call any time. Each time she stopped she texted us how the cats were and where she was, which was quite a relief considering our nerves and the entire process.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 PM

Thanks, MtDreamer16, we'll look into TLC. Glad things worked out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or