U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 479 times

Advertisements

Hey all I'm moving very soon and would love to know more about your experience moving. I'd love to avoid any mistakes that you may have gone through and also would like to know what went well with your move. Would really appreciate some help in making my move a pleasant experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 AM

4,111 posts, read 2,443,525 times
Will you be moving yourself or are you hiring professionals?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 AM

1,726 posts, read 3,124,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmash View Post
Hey all I'm moving very soon and would love to know more about your experience moving. I'd love to avoid any mistakes that you may have gone through and also would like to know what went well with your move. Would really appreciate some help in making my move a pleasant experience. Thanks!
I just moved locally. What really went well for me, is that I hired a local moving company that has a great reputation here. Even though I had to wait for a week longer than I wanted, it was worth it. They were helpful, nice to me, worked hard, and they didn't break anything - - not one thing.

The biggest mistake that I made was that I tried to do too much myself. At age 67, it was too hard to do all that I did when moving at younger ages and that led to throwing my back out, falling repeatedly, and more. It took me months to recover physically. I don't plan to ever move again, but one never knows. If I do move again, this time I'll pack a suitcase and go stay in an extended stay place. I'll have the moving company do all the packing as well as all the moving.

Another big mistake that I made was when filling out the change of address form for the post office. I put the wrong address in for my new address! The address that I put was the address of a good friend that lives next door. But now, he gets my junk mail and has to bring it over to me. Oh well. I'm sure it will stop eventually.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 AM

294 posts, read 234,731 times
I try to live a minimal lifestyle since I want to stay mobile.

Get rid of stuff that you can live without so you don't have to move it. Maybe even hold a yardsale if you have the time and space or donate to your fave charity. Consider the costs of moving bigger appliances/furniture vs buying a new one where you move.

The less you have to move, the more pleasant the move will be.

Label boxes. I personally like affixing a list of what's in the box so I know exactly what's in it.

Pack your essentials last and in a distinguishable packaging. In a sense, build a "welcome home" package for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or