U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 1,223,484 times

Advertisements

We did the move ourselves. Jackson, TN area to Erie, PA.

We got the 26 foot UHaul truck; it cost $590 for a one-way rental and we spent about $175 on gas and one night in a hotel for $125.

We did our own packing/unpacking and loading/unloading.

My husband followed me in the car behind the truck and told me when we got to Erie he was sick to death of reading the back of that truck...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 AM

311 posts, read 214,627 times
About $13,000 to move a 2800 sq ft house from St. Louis to Charlotte, NC. All of the major moving companies are horrible. I have moved 10 time and have ALWAYS had stuff stolen, destroyed, lost, etc. (including the truck catching on fire). Do some serious homework and proceed with caution. It's really a pain no matter the way you do it.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:59 PM

4,541 posts, read 4,405,708 times
Just found this thread today. We moved TX to UT last year, company paid so we didn't really care, but that cost $23,000. It's a 5-BR house (though only 3 sets of BR furniture) and big items like grand piano and pool table. Now we're getting ready to move to TN (at our own expense) and our first quote (same company as last year) is about $23K. I had a second guy come over today, but still waiting for his quote. Hoping it is much less than the first!

I'm concerned about the fact that today's guy said the quote is not binding, that the final amount will be calculated when they weigh the filled truck. He indicated that is standard, but I don't feel great about it.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:38 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,196,934 times
Bekins moved our 3br house with a lot of furniture from the Chicago area to Las Vegas for $5600. Got a couple hundred back when it came in under weight. They were on time, packed the stuff well, and there wasn't a nick or scratch on anything.

It was worth every penny and they made it relatively stress-free.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,628,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Just found this thread today. We moved TX to UT last year, company paid so we didn't really care, but that cost $23,000. It's a 5-BR house (though only 3 sets of BR furniture) and big items like grand piano and pool table. Now we're getting ready to move to TN (at our own expense) and our first quote (same company as last year) is about $23K. I had a second guy come over today, but still waiting for his quote. Hoping it is much less than the first!

I'm concerned about the fact that today's guy said the quote is not binding, that the final amount will be calculated when they weigh the filled truck. He indicated that is standard, but I don't feel great about it.

1) Get additional quotes.
2) The information regarding the weight portion of the bill is correct, and my limited experience is that the moving companies typically quote slightly high.
3) You will need to move all chemicals yourself in your own vehicle. This includes cleaning supplies, aerosol cans, LP tanks for the grill, lawn mowers & anything with a gasoline tank, paints, lubricants, etc. But you probably already know this from last year's move.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 AM

244 posts, read 98,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Bekins moved our 3br house with a lot of furniture from the Chicago area to Las Vegas for $5600. Got a couple hundred back when it came in under weight. They were on time, packed the stuff well, and there wasn't a nick or scratch on anything.

It was worth every penny and they made it relatively stress-free.

I hope we can do that length of move for the same general price. Was that move recent? We are going from Omaha area to Phoenix so actually not quite as far . . . We are downsizing alot. We do have 4 mattress sets but only three dressers and one closet of clothes, and I wouldn't consider a lot of furniture in the rest of the home. No outside stuff and literally little if any garage stuff. Did that include packing and unpacking on both ends?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM

68 posts, read 34,240 times
4khansen-where are you in Omaha? I'm in Omaha too snd heading east.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

244 posts, read 98,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
4khansen-where are you in Omaha? I'm in Omaha too snd heading east.
Actually in Council Bluffs....retiring to Phoenix metro as both our daughters are there.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 PM

752 posts, read 357,208 times
We moved from Central California to Western Wyoming and we used the U-PACK truck. It came to our house in California and they left it. We had two days to fill it with all of our belongings. We had an 1,800 sqft house with four bedrooms, to give you an idea on the amount of furniture we had. After it was filled they took it away and drove it the 1,000 miles to our new house in Wyoming. They dropped the truck off and we had two days to unload it. Then they returned to get the truck and left.

We moved in November and the cost for the U-PACK was less than 3k, I think it was around 2.5k. I had called around beforehand and looked into Penske and U-haul, but this was the best deal I could find.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 PM

568 posts, read 247,318 times
Moved myself by renting a 5x10 Uhaul cargo which I towed to NJ to Texas. Cargo cost like $500 w/tax. Gas about $300-400 at the time. Sold and donated rest of the stuff before the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues