Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times

Advertisements

I can relate and I find myself longing for that sense of home or community. I moved to FL from my 2nd home in Northern VA and have truly longed to go back even though its more expensive, more traffic and some people there I don't care to see again, it still is home in my heart and I truly miss it. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander_x View Post
Do you feel different from your friends/family who have lived in/near the same area most of their lives?

I love and appreciate my wanderlust. I've had so many amazing experiences and seen diverse shades of how life is lived in different places. I wouldn't trade it for being content to stay in the same place - yet there are days when I do envy some of my friends/family who have been content/secure to stay in their home state.

They never had to question what it means to feel "lost" vs "at home" in a new environment because they never felt the need to leave in the first place. I've recently realized a sense of bittersweetness that once you pull those initial roots, you change from people you left behind and never get it back.

It seems like so many of people I meet, even in a very transient state like California, were born and raised here and have never lived or had the desire to move anywhere else. From back home in the northeast it's very similar, most of my friends have stayed within the same region.

Can anyone relate to this?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander_x View Post
I've recently realized a sense of bittersweetness that once you pull those initial roots, you change from people you left behind and never get it back.
So true. Once you pull out those initial roots, you can never go back. Or, I couldn't. I moved back to my home state after having been away for over 20 yrs. Wow, it was some eye opener. After 2 weeks, I knew I had made a "mistake," (ie learning experience really). I moved out almost 15 months later. It was a wonderful lesson, though. Like a wise poster said, the memories are all that exist there. I guess I had thought I would just take up like when I left. It's only in your mind that you think you can! Who you are won't let you, even if you try. If you're "lucky," you find another "home" and can start over there.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 04-25-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 03:13 AM

86 posts, read 88,449 times
I grew up in a small town in S.E. Connecticut and couldn't wait to get out of there. I moved around and lived in few towns at first.... close to my home town for awhile and then left to live in other new England states as well as travel all over the USA. I have been in NH now for about 18 years and am now planning on returning to CT to be closer to family and the ocean. While I wont be living in my old home town I will be close. I don't expect it to be the same nor do I want it to be. I am looking forward to returning to new adventures, making new friends and seeing some old ones. Being close to my aging parents and brothers as well as new niece's and nephews I don't get to see all that often. Looking forward to some of the things I didn't appreciate as a kid but I'm also glad I left and got to do what I did and live in some of the other places I ended up so I don't feel like "If I had only." You can't go back to the past and were not trying too. Just want to head back home cause that's where we want to be now.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Not wanderlust. It just happened that it turned out that way. After i turned 18, I was lucky to see my parents once a year. In my early 50s, I moved to Europe and never returned for more than 2 weeks at a time. That was 20+ years ago. My children are following in my footsteps.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,470 times
Can't seem to settle anywhere. Have moved around the USA and Europe (am originally from the UK) for years. Won't be going back to live in the UK. Visits are good enough for me.

Just moved to Vegas 5 weeks ago and am already thinking of leaving...

Do you think there are people who just CAN'T settle? I don't know what's wrong with me...there are a lot of things to like about it here and I'm not unhappy-I just don't think I want to stay. Can anyone relate?

Old 05-01-2016, 03:15 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Every home has had new horizons, would never trade it.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:48 PM

75 posts, read 132,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekoe12 View Post
I grew up in a small town in S.E. Connecticut and couldn't wait to get out of there. I moved around and lived in few towns at first.... close to my home town for awhile and then left to live in other new England states as well as travel all over the USA. I have been in NH now for about 18 years and am now planning on returning to CT to be closer to family and the ocean. While I wont be living in my old home town I will be close. I don't expect it to be the same nor do I want it to be. I am looking forward to returning to new adventures, making new friends and seeing some old ones. Being close to my aging parents and brothers as well as new niece's and nephews I don't get to see all that often. Looking forward to some of the things I didn't appreciate as a kid but I'm also glad I left and got to do what I did and live in some of the other places I ended up so I don't feel like "If I had only." You can't go back to the past and were not trying too. Just want to head back home cause that's where we want to be now.
I think that's great. It's weird, for all of human history we've been quite mobile, but nowadays it's really amazing what a variety of places and what freedom we have to live almost anywhere. But at the same time, I'm starting to crave more of a long-term sense of community. I don't want to be a rolling stone forever and then look back and realize I didn't maintain deep roots anywhere...

Old 05-07-2016, 03:32 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Can't seem to settle anywhere. Have moved around the USA and Europe (am originally from the UK) for years. Won't be going back to live in the UK. Visits are good enough for me.

Do you think there are people who just CAN'T settle? I don't know what's wrong with me...there are a lot of things to like about it here and I'm not unhappy-I just don't think I want to stay. Can anyone relate?
I think I'm one of those people. I kind of have to settle now, but I've moved around a lot. I think that's more "normal." Lol. I am fearless in starting over. Gypsy blood someone said.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:03 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post

There is nothing wrong with you. You have a feeling of going forward, finding something new. Maybe with a sense of finding the next good thing. Or discovering a new environment to be in.

Dream where you want to go! Embrace your adventure! You will know when/ if you find a place you want to stay long-term.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM

505 posts, read 502,346 times
I'm graduating college in less than a month, and I'll also be moving to Las Vegas in about 3 weeks -- the first in my family to graduate college and move away from our hometown of about 80k.

I feel a bit different since I've never really felt like the city I grew up in would be in my future as an adult. It's small with a limited economy (mainly tourism), and really is the kind of place you move to in your 40s when you have an established career. It's not someplace to get an entry level position and build a career from there.

So like another poster mentioned, I had to follow the jobs that I'd be most likely to get my foot in the door with a good career, and that's taking me to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues