Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times

Advertisements

I'm finally settled in my new home and thought I would tell the tale of the first part of my move.
I moved from San Francisco to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I'm a little old lady and there was no way I was going to drive myself and my stuff across country, and I was living in the city where there was no room for a packing POD or similar type of you pack it -we ship it kind of situation.

I started downsizing over 6 months ago. I went through every closet and book shelf and got rid of about 1/3 of what was there and thought I did a good job.
Then about 3 months later I did it all again, this time including furniture that I would not be taking with me.
More clothes to various charities, books to the library book sale, household goods to goodwill.
Once I started backing every item was again looked at, was it good enough to keep? cheaply replaced with a more current/better model? When was the last time I used it, and could I have used something else instead?
Packing was a long and pain staking process. A friend and I watched multiple moving/packing videos to make sure we were doing it correctly.
TVs are expensive to move, those were given to friends (besides this gives me the excuse to get the latest and greatest).
I ended up with 137 boxes my bedframe, an armoire, a large floor mirror and some small tables. The rest of the furniture was given away or left (at my landlord's request). I probably could have even gotten it down more but I was really tired of going over everything for a third time

Mover Selection
Mine was going to be a small but expensive move. I got recommendations from friends and talked to about 8 different movers. I interviewed 6 different movers and asked them come out to give me an on-site estimate. One couldn't be bothered, one was a no-show. One decided that the move was too small for them to handle. The rest gave me written estimates that varied from $4000 to $8000. A good sum of this was for artwork that I have collected over the years
I went with a mid-range priced company because I liked how their agent described the process used for packing the artwork. The communication with the company was excellent, with my emails answered within a couple of hours.

Moving Day
Since I lived in a very congested city, I had to pay for a special no parking zone permit for the mover's truck. The signs were posted 2 days prior to the move. Naturally, some idiot didn't read the sign or just didn't care. When I looked out about an hour before the movers arriving the street was clear, he must have just parked - now I ask you, in a neighborhood where a parking spot is considered gold, what type of idiot comes up to a row of 5 empty spaces and doesn't think that there's a reason people aren't parked there? He got ticketed and towed and I don't feel bad about it.

The movers were very professional. There were three of them the driver/supervisor, and 2 workmen. They worked together very well. I provided them with a list of the artwork and furniture. It took them about 3 hours from start to finish.
Phase I completed. My furniture will arrive in about 7 days - 11 days from when they packed it. The driver will be the same driver/supervisor that I had in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 07:57 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Great summary of a long distance move. We will be doing the same in 1- 2 years (moving just over the SC border in Sunset Beach NC).

I have already begun the purging process and love getting rid of some of this "stuff". I just started going through volumes of picture albums to throw out or save for digital transfer.

I look forward to Part 11 of your move.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:28 AM

604 posts, read 855,940 times
Nice wrapup! Drives home the importance of downsizing, then culling some more. After 3 big moves (and hoping for #4 by the end of the year), I also think that's the key to a successful move.
Congratulations on your move. Looking forward to part 2!

Old 05-08-2016, 02:04 PM

351 posts, read 491,555 times
Thank you for sharing your story. I am not far behind you. I too am single (with 3 kids) and will be moving cross country this summer from MN to FL. I have been purging a 5500 sq ft home for about 3 years in anticipation of a move. I have gone over my items several times and am down to mostly items I love or need or can't part with. I am a bit of a clothes horse and play a game of 'I wonder if I can find 10 items to donate' every couple weeks. I have just recently decided to purge all stereo / home theater components. I won't have a home theater in my new home and if I decide to get a receiver or speakers, I want them to work with wi-fi. Having them in boxes just stressed me out since they are heavy and I don't know how to set them up. I will be using a professional mover and shipping one car while driving the second with the kids and cats. It will be an adventure for sure!

The mover I am using has hung with me for 3 years. I am confident I will have help if something goes wrong. I have received an estimate recently, which strangely is higher (based on estimated weight) when in fact I have downsized since the last estimate. I need to confirm if everything is based on weight. I don't have that much anymore.

One thing that eased a lot of stress for me was selling my house last winter. I am currently living in a rental, and when the time comes to leave I pack up and go. I don't need to concerned about a sale. It will be a clean exit.

Your story is encouraging. I look forward to Part II!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
Sandsam - check to see if you are getting quoted a "high season" price. Moving is more expensive in the summer months.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 PM

351 posts, read 491,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Sandsam - check to see if you are getting quoted a "high season" price. Moving is more expensive in the summer months.

Good point. I'm going to ask. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues