U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:41 PM

12,672 posts, read 9,909,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
I will move from Ithaca to NYC with around 10 luggage pieces and boxes at the end of this month.

I have not driven a car since I got my license almost a decade ago, and I don't have any experience of driving on a road with traffic (including highway).

If I drive a rented van, SUV or a U-Haul 10' truck by myself, is it sufficient for me to:

- read the NY's drivers' manual (https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/dr...practice-tests), to be familiar with rules and signs.

- read How to Drive a Car (with Pictures) - wikiHow, to be familiar with how to drive a car

- maybe rent a car to practice a few hours?

Currently I have questions such as:

- Can I drive slowly even on highways, by staying on the rightmost lane?

- Can I stop by the side of a road (including highways) any time, if I want to relax or figure out the route?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.
You're going to need parents/friends/relatives to let you practice with them, at least initially. A minimum of 30 hours.

Have someone else drive the truck. Even many experienced drivers need to learn big trucks separately as the handling is very different from a more compact vehicle.

Automobile accidents are the #1 cause of death for all age groups from 5-45 (IIRC). Watch out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:01 PM

294 posts, read 234,878 times
Moving is already a stressful venture.
Please consider other alternative transportation options OP for your sake and the rest of the driving crowd.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:15 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
I have been driving for 40 years.

Do not do this.

Getting around Ithaca and moving either in town or a little ways outside of it is one thing. With some practice, you could probably manage that, especially if you did that early in the morning on a Sunday when there is little traffic.

On the other hand, getting into NYC and getting around requires *advanced* driving skills with a car and a truck? For the sake of the safety of others, don't do it. Just don't. Even if it's early in the morning, it's a 24-hour city, and there's always traffic and crazy drivers.

As mentioned on this thread, there are other ways to do your move. Please look into the alternatives.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:45 PM

639 posts, read 1,544,783 times
Where would you even park the Uhaul to unload it in NYC? Hire a moving company and let them deal with it. Or have it all shipped UPS/Fedex, if it's only 10 boxes. It'll cost a few hundred dollars, but you can't hire anyone else to do it for less.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:57 PM

14,997 posts, read 21,643,332 times
Don't do it. If you aren't a confident driver, going into NYC would be an absolute nightmare! Ship your boxes like others have said and take public transportation

Old 05-12-2016, 05:48 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,501,714 times
I moved before I learned how to drive well, but I had another driver with me, so I ended up just doing a couple hours in the car. If you make a plan, you can build up to being a decent driver in a few weeks (start out going around your neighborhood, build up to taking local highways, etc., then try a longer trip like Rochester or Buffalo or Albany or something. The main issue, though, is going to be driving in NYC. This is going to be very stressful compared to other driving you will have done. This sounds like a bad idea. My first "city driving" was a medium-sized city in the midwest. NYC would have been a disaster for me.

Heck, I've driven across the country multiple times, and driven in many cities. Driving in SF was very stressful for me, NYC would be terrible, even today now that I've been driving for many years.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,530,974 times
Even I don't wanna drive a Uhaul out in the country, can't imagine in NYC after not driving.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 PM

275 posts, read 1,098,600 times
Quick question:

when many of you say how stressful driving is in NYC, do you mean driving in Manhattan only? How about driving in Brooklyn, and in Queens? I ask this for practising driving after I move to NYC.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
Brooklyn and Queens are very challenging. There are NYC residents who never drive themselves anywhere. They take cabs or the subway. Or walk.

Normally, I recommend that most adults should learn to drive well enough to get where they need to go in case there's an emergency, but NYC, Boston, and SF are all cities that require advanced driving skills and have enough alternatives that one can live there without a car. These are not beginner-friendly driving areas. Yes, people learn to drive there! Yes, there are times when the roads will be a bit less hectic in Brooklyn and Queens, but driving there may also be something you'll want to put off until you live in a different area, if you ever do.

You'll see when you get there and will be better able to make a decision.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 PM

12,672 posts, read 9,909,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Quick question:

when many of you say how stressful driving is in NYC, do you mean driving in Manhattan only? How about driving in Brooklyn, and in Queens? I ask this for practising driving after I move to NYC.
Early on weekend mornings if you're going to practice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or