U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 PM

11,243 posts, read 21,682,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Quick question:

when many of you say how stressful driving is in NYC, do you mean driving in Manhattan only? How about driving in Brooklyn, and in Queens? I ask this for practising driving after I move to NYC.
There are places to practice, certainly. But driving in NYC in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens is not for the faint of heart. I drive in Queens and Brooklyn but pretty much hate it due to the difficulty and challenges, except for one easy route I take between two areas in Queens. Coincidentally, this route is where I have recently seen a bunch of "student driver" cars, so I think the driving companies must be taking their students over to the easy areas for practice.

Check out 20th Ave in Astoria, Queens. It's very empty and industrial over there. There must be dozens of other small areas in Queens that are even less populated, but that's the one that's most familiar to me.

That said, I don't really understand why, after not driving for 10 years in a place where most people have cars, you would want to start driving after moving to NYC, where most people rely on public transportation and avoid cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 PM

5,565 posts, read 3,906,550 times
I've been to NYC, it's very crowded there at all hours. I've also had my license for four years and wouldn't even feel comfortable driving a U-Haul yet, let alone into NYC. Nor would I feel comfortable driving in NYC even in a regular car. If you'd had your license for 10 years and USED it during that whole time, then it may be a different story.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,357,149 times
It depends upon where you want to drive in NYC, but I 'd not recommend making the trip from Ithaca in a rental van. Even if you are planning an off-peak time, that would be night hours, and night driving is another issue, entirely. Where can you drop off the van? Some are in congested industrial areas, and there are restrictions on parking, as mentioned above, both to load/unload, and if you don't get to the return center before it closes, parking overnight. If you have a friend or relative to make the drive, and you go with them, but they do the driving, that is a different story. One can wait in the van and the other unload it, etc.

Contact a driving school to get back in the nature of driving, since you have no experience on the road recently, and it seems limited experience before that. I have a cousin who goes everywhere by car service, yet she has a license, and owns a car, in Manhattan. When she's going out in the car, we warn everyone. Well, close to it, since she drives maybe twice a year, but doesn't feel comfortable driving far distances. Her car gets driven as she has a fiancée who will drive her in it, but when she actually gets behind the wheel, I usually have to run over to her place to give her a pep talk and remind her of certain things with the car. I breathe a sigh of relief when she actually arrives in Connecticut or at the beach, two places she drives, because she is always out of practice. You don't have enough time to re-learn how to drive, so that's why I'd not recommend putting yourself behind the wheel of a U-Haul, anywhere, much less NYC, because they can be challenging to drive even when experienced.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-13-2016, 02:32 AM

5,120 posts, read 2,050,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Why put that kind of pressure on yourself?
Yes, moving is stressful in itself. Once a person is experienced with driving it is second nature, but it does not sound like a good time to begin practicing.. and can be unprepared for what situations might come up.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,773,407 times
Hire a mover, and then take the train or bus.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:50 AM

74 posts, read 69,963 times
Learning to drive in that time period is very possible. I taught my ex how to drive in 2 weeks, right before she got her FIRST license. and since youre just relearning, you'll be fine

nyc driving will teach you very quickly that you are more capable than you know lol. but i dont think you should worry too much since im positive that after the move, you wont be driving in the city at all. nice thing about NYC driving is that its hectic but organized and the drivers are skilled (unlike here in Texas....)

the beauty of driving a uhaul is that although you are moving slower, the size of the vehicle commands respect from other drivers since an accident is likely to favor you (as in, THEY will end up with a wrecked vehicle lol). this is not true of 16 wheelers tho. in my experience driving all over the east coast, the south and Puerto Rico, the tristate region truckers give absolutely no Fs lol

funny story: i learned how to drive in NYC. used to go to harlem for church from CT. one day, dad gave me the keys to the family van and sad "drive home." i drove scared and slow through the cross bronx expressway and after hitting the CT border, i was the most confident driver ever.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,301,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I have been driving for 40 years.

Do not do this.

Getting around Ithaca and moving either in town or a little ways outside of it is one thing. With some practice, you could probably manage that, especially if you did that early in the morning on a Sunday when there is little traffic.

On the other hand, getting into NYC and getting around requires *advanced* driving skills with a car and a truck? For the sake of the safety of others, don't do it. Just don't. Even if it's early in the morning, it's a 24-hour city, and there's always traffic and crazy drivers.

As mentioned on this thread, there are other ways to do your move. Please look into the alternatives.
Totally agree. If you haven't driven in a decade and need to "practice", do NOT do what you propose. Ship your stuff. Take the bus to NYC. Better ... and SAFER ... for you and for everybody on the road with you.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 AM

140 posts, read 152,476 times
I wouldn't do it, ship your stuff and take a bus. Safer for yourself, your belongings, and other people. Driving a U-Haul can be stressful enough for an experienced driver due to the sheer size of the truck, then to factor in NYC traffic, attitude (all big cities have some of that), etc, it is a recipe for a very bad experience.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:48 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,329,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post
Learning to drive in that time period is very possible. I taught my ex how to drive in 2 weeks, right before she got her FIRST license. and since youre just relearning, you'll be fine

nyc driving will teach you very quickly that you are more capable than you know lol. but i dont think you should worry too much since im positive that after the move, you wont be driving in the city at all. nice thing about NYC driving is that its hectic but organized and the drivers are skilled (unlike here in Texas....)

the beauty of driving a uhaul is that although you are moving slower, the size of the vehicle commands respect from other drivers since an accident is likely to favor you (as in, THEY will end up with a wrecked vehicle lol). this is not true of 16 wheelers tho. in my experience driving all over the east coast, the south and Puerto Rico, the tristate region truckers give absolutely no Fs lol

funny story: i learned how to drive in NYC. used to go to harlem for church from CT. one day, dad gave me the keys to the family van and sad "drive home." i drove scared and slow through the cross bronx expressway and after hitting the CT border, i was the most confident driver ever.
NO, NOT ONE BIT.

Uhaul type, box trucks take twice as long to stop, can barely get out of their own way, they are wider than most vehicles, they have horrible blind spots, they don't turn as well (so you need more experience just to know how to turn); and everybody knows it. Then if you do get into a wreck and you tell them you haven't driven in ten years..??

You DO NOT WANT TO TRY THIS... Now it doesn't sound like its that much luggage. Around here we have home depot where you can rent a ford F150 pickup locally (locally is usually just in-state), for much cheaper, and driving a pickup would not be that bad. There are other companies (hertz, budget, ryder), that may rent a pickup. It also doesn't seem that far, based on your long time and confidence concern with this, I would also suggest renting a midsize car (like a minivan or HHR), and if you NEEDED to, just make two trips..

Last option I can think of, is just get someone to move it all for you. Uship.com (is a jobs posting for truckers that have spare room). You can probably get it shipped for around what a truck rental would cost, and take the pressure off so you're only stressed out by one of these at a time.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM

22,203 posts, read 10,301,242 times
I guess I'll compare the OP's question to something I once did. It was the mid-80s and I was traveling to Thailand a second time and wanted to rent a car for a couple of days to get off the beaten path. I had driven for years, but at the time, you could only rent stick shifts in Thailand. So I took a couple of driving lessons to learn stick shift driving. I told the Avis rental agent in Bangkok that I didn't want to start out our trip in mid-city, so he said no problem, that a driver would drive us to the airport (at the time, the airport didn't have car rental), then I would proceed driving from there...which although at first expressway, was out in the country. Sounded good. Until the driver stopped the car in the middle of the expressway, said "I get out here", and left us sitting in the middle of the expressway (albeit near the airport turnoff). Time to make my debut driving stick shift...on an expressway...with the shift on the left (not the right), the mirror on the opposite side I was used to, the controls the reverse of what I was used to, etc. We lived. But it was a damn scary ride, particularly for the first couple of hours.

My advice, OP...you're pushing your luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or