U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times

Advertisements

I've driven for a living, and you never stop learning - please do not drive a U-Haul after not driving for a decade. That is not the time to learn how to drive. Yeah, you can get some lessons in enough to pass your driving test, but that is NOT the same thing as being out there, driving a big truck/van filled with everything you own, on the freeways in places you aren't familiar with.

Driving slow is not the best answer as you can cause MORE accidents by being overly cautious than by going faster. You not only need to learn how to read other drivers again, and anticipate lights, and know about bridges and overpasses and if your U-Haul will fit under them despite the height written on the sign as you approach the bridge/overpass, you also have to deal with how different driving a loaded truck/van feels compared to an empty car.

You also have to deal with the fact that no one will want to let you over, and you don't have the skills to get over when you need to.

You also have to deal with driving in the rain or wind - it is different in larger trucks.

If you don't have experience driving, deciding to pick it up again while moving in a U-Haul is one of the last choices you should make. Either ship your stuff, hire a moving van, or have someone drive the U-Haul for you.

Do not take this the wrong way, but I would not want to be out on the roads with someone who is driving a loaded U-Haul when they haven't driven in 10 years. You're putting you and everyone else at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM

74 posts, read 70,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
NO, NOT ONE BIT.

Uhaul type, box trucks take twice as long to stop, can barely get out of their own way, they are wider than most vehicles, they have horrible blind spots, they don't turn as well (so you need more experience just to know how to turn); and everybody knows it.
they do but i would imagine that OP would be driving cautiously. most new and returning drivers drive over-carefully in my experiences. also most of her driving will be highway or long streets.

the blind spots are compensated by the dual mirrors.

i still maintain my position on the size of the vehicle commanding respect.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:21 PM

452 posts, read 291,817 times
I drove a truck in an earlier life. And I have driven UHaul trucks hundreds of miles on multiple occasions. They are not the same as driving a car and as mentioned earlier, they're uncomfortable and slow. If you must drive, fit everything into a van. Rent an empty one and practice to make sure that's what you want. But if you can afford it, ship everything. Then you won't have to worry about where to park in NYC when you get there.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:25 PM

12,705 posts, read 9,964,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post
they do but i would imagine that OP would be driving cautiously. most new and returning drivers drive over-carefully in my experiences. also most of her driving will be highway or long streets.

the blind spots are compensated by the dual mirrors.

i still maintain my position on the size of the vehicle commanding respect.
A Uhaul simply cannot be handled like a car. More mass, greater stopping distance, greater turning radius, etc. not to mention the issue of judging distance in tight parking. And how the **** is someone who hasn't driven in 10 years supposed to change lanes in NYC traffic in a uhaul? ()x10

Old 05-17-2016, 02:27 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
I have been driving for decades and have driven a big u-haul across the US twice. I would never, under any circumstances, consider myself qualified to drive that u-haul in NYC. Did you know that's how many professional drivers feel too? Many companies instruct the OTR drivers to park the rig and wait for a local driver.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,390,118 times
OP, if you decide to do this, elect to BUY THE INSURANCE.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM

88 posts, read 53,804 times
So, how did the move go, timlee?

(I was almost about to chime in with everybody else on the dangers of driving in the city with an unfamiliar, unwieldy, unparkable vehicle but I realized it's too late to give advice for how to handle something that happened last month.....)

Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 PM

650 posts, read 410,764 times
If the OP doesn't come back to reply, does that mean things have not gone as planned...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or