U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:53 PM

57 posts, read 42,615 times

Advertisements

Hi All.
I need some advice and opinions..

We are a family with four kids. We are moving and are trying to decide between a house in a subdivision where the kids can have neighborhood friends OR living on acreage where the kids can have room to run around and play ball and such. I've only lived in subdivisions or traditional neighborhoods, so I'm afraid that the kids would be isolated on acreage with no friends close by. Any and all opinions welcomed please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 03:01 PM

9,107 posts, read 16,994,914 times
Sub/Division...

While acreage is nice, it does isolate them from there friends, everything they want to do will require you to drive them. That get old after a while. And there friends can not just "pop" in to play it all has to be organized with transportation.

I would go with a Sub/Division.

How older are they? Sex? What area are you looking at?

Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM

5,039 posts, read 5,926,867 times
Live as close to their schools as you can, unless the neighborhoods are bad. If it's a neighborhood with their friends, even better. If not, still try to get close to their schools.

You will spend less time in the car, all around.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:30 PM

7,246 posts, read 4,339,695 times
My kids (a son and daughter) grew up on acreage in a semi-rural area instead of in a suburban neighborhood. What we found was that it kept our kids' very close; since they didn't have friends right outside their door, they spent more time playing with each other and exploring together well past when they might have if we'd lived in a suburban neighborhood. Both of my kids (now adults) still talk about their adventures together as kids, and they remain very close to each other as adults.

That's not to say they didn't have plenty of playmates -- through school and church, they made lots of friends, and their friends were often over at our house, or vice versa. As they hit their early teen years, we discovered another plus: since they couldn't get together with most of their friends without a lift from a parent, we were able to keep closer tabs on where they were going and who they were hanging out with.

I would say that the toughest aspect for me as a parent was after they started driving on their own. Since we lived further out, they had to drive darker and more dangerous roads, and go farther if they wanted to, say, go to the movies with a date. i spent a lot of nights worrying while waiting to hear their cars pull up the driveway.

My kids enjoyed their childhoods -- they had experiences and adventures that they wouldn't have had growing up in a more suburban neighborhood. Of course, no one can say for sure, but when all is said and done, I think that growing up in a semi-rural area instead of a suburban tract home was a plus and helped them become the confident people they are today. I don't regret our decision to move from the suburbs to the "country" and I don't think our kids would say they do either. In fact, both of them have said that they would like to raise their kids in a similar setting if possible.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 3,854,824 times
My daughter grew up sub division.

I wished she had had acreage. She didn't live near to her friends anyway and the sub division was just a bunch of houses - nothing to explore.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:35 PM

1,056 posts, read 952,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom1225 View Post
Hi All.
I need some advice and opinions..

We are a family with four kids. We are moving and are trying to decide between a house in a subdivision where the kids can have neighborhood friends OR living on acreage where the kids can have room to run around and play ball and such. I've only lived in subdivisions or traditional neighborhoods, so I'm afraid that the kids would be isolated on acreage with no friends close by. Any and all opinions welcomed please.
Depends on what you mean by acreage. Are you talking about 1 acre or 100 acres? 1 acre won't make much difference - 100 acreages probably would.

It depends a lot on what's common for the area. If everybody lives on 100 acre lots then it wouldn't be as big a deal as if your kids are the only ones at their school who live out of town on acreage. Living on a large acreage will almost certainly make it so your kids spend more time with each other than they might otherwise if they lived in town. Also depends on the subdivision - some subdivisions would have lots of kids around but some would have almost none. Subdivision doesn't automatically equal lots of kids around like it used to 40+ years ago.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM

20,372 posts, read 37,619,182 times
I grew up on an 800 acre church camp - 3,000 people coming through every summer, then mostly peace and quiet the rest of the year. Perfect childhood, as far as I was concerned, and my friends were a couple of others who lived at the camp and the kids at school (all of whom had chores after school because most of them lived on farms so wouldn't have gotten to come over and play every afternoon anyway). Lived in the city after that, and then when my daughter was 12 we moved out to the country so we (my daughter and I) could have our horses close to hand instead of driving to the boarding stable every day. One thing I learned - have horses, and you will ALWAYS know where your teenaged daughter and her friends are, because they will be at your place, messing with and riding your horses.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 PM

42,403 posts, read 41,147,999 times
Our subdivision has 1-acre yards, so we have the best of both worlds. If that option is available where you are moving, I would go with that.

Even a half-acre yard is plenty of room to play.

But having friends within walking/biking distance is such a great amenity for school-age kids. I would choose
"subdivision."

Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,149,482 times
I wish we had acreage growing up. While I did have friends in the neighborhood, I spent most of my time with my bike and dog, exploring everywhere I could.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 PM

57 posts, read 42,615 times
Thank you for the responses. Our kids range from 5-14. We are in a community now and have no other kids in our neighborhood. We were the first house on the street when we bought ten years ago, then the market crashed and we've been without neighbors for the entire time. So they are used to no other kids around. A few houses, but no kids. And they ride their bikes to school.

So, now we have to move because of a job transfer. One house we like is in another planned community with a lot of kids in the neighborhood.. something I've always wanted for my kids, for them to play basketball in the street, kickball and such.. another house is on 5 acres. There are other houses around, but they are all on about the same size properties.. The community house, they could still rife their bikes to their new achool, but the acreage house would require them to ride the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues