U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM

3,975 posts, read 6,744,621 times
Default Pods

anyone used them for your move?

how pricey are they?

they wont let me do an online lookup (although they were nice enough to steal my email address so they can spam me )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,069,847 times
I used them when I moved from FL to SC. I was more than pleased with the service.

There is a flat fee of $195 for delivery and 1st month storage. The transfer to your new location is based on distance. It cost me $1900. We ended up needing to store for a few months (long story) and it was under $200/month.

The really nice thing is that they bring it to your door. You can take your sweet time loading into something with no ramp or giant step up. They come get it when you are done. Then they bring it to your new door so you can take your time unloading.

NO rental truck to drive while towing your car. No gas for the rental truck. No worries about breaking down on the side of the highway with all of your stuff needing to be unloaded & reloaded into a new truck (been there, done that!).

Most locations are a franchise, so you usually need to talk to someone in their inter-franchise department to get a quote.

I was more than happy and would use them again.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM

hmmm, what does a uhaul get for gas milage?

one of the smaller trucks?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 AM

10,593 posts, read 21,902,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

One thing I have found through moving, its MUCH cheaper to use a trailor you can pull if you can then to rent a truck.

I have had two neighbors use the PODS. One thing I noticed is from the way they load them, you better be really careful in packing them because they can rock around quite a bit when they move the pods. If you have the money, I would think the PODS would be the most convenient.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

I wouldn't use a U-Haul if someone else paid for it. Ask any tow truck driver which rental company they get called out for the most. Both of the trucks I had that had to be unloaded on the side of the interstate were U-Haul.

I did a lot of number crunching. It was actually going to cost MORE for me to rent a truck than it did for the PODS service. And because closing did not happen when it was supposed to I did not have to unload into a storage unit and then re-load to move once the house was ready.

Now, for this last move I bought a cargo trailer. We already had a vehicle we could tow with. We knew we would be storing our stuff for a while, but at least we could have access to the trailer.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 AM

do the pods get delivered on a timely schedule?

I would be doing all my moving in one weekend.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Moving both out of your old place and into your new one all in one weekend? Are you doing a local move? If so you would be better off renting a truck. Look for Ryder or Penske, nicer trucks that are better maintained.

As for your question, both pick up and delivery happened right when they said they were going to.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM

nope

out of a small apartment, in tampa, to texas (prob san antone)

pack up saturday morning, hit the road, stop for the night in Miss or La, then off to texas.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM

As long as you schedule it in advance there should not be any trouble. Mine was scheduled 3 weeks in advance of the move. It was delivered exactly when I asked for it. It was picked up exactly when I asked. On the backside of the move it was delivered exactly when I asked for it and picked up the morning after I called and told them I was done with it.

They will tell you how much time the transfer will take. give them a call and ask for inter franchise.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
As long as you schedule it in advance there should not be any trouble. Mine was scheduled 3 weeks in advance of the move. It was delivered exactly when I asked for it. It was picked up exactly when I asked. On the backside of the move it was delivered exactly when I asked for it and picked up the morning after I called and told them I was done with it.

They will tell you how much time the transfer will take. give them a call and ask for inter franchise.
actually

i my office is about 75 ft from their us hq...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues