Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 03:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Drive w/ them for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My friend is a pilot for one of the large airlines. He is also an animal lover. He told me he would NEVER fly any of his animals.
I just could not agree more and although it may seem inconvenient or troublesome, for me I just felt better that I could comfort my dogs with breaks, to break up their being cooped up and out of their normal comfort zone.

We stopped to let them stretch their legs, take in some water and be reassured. I think because my female was a rescue she thought that anytime she was being transported meant another strange environment, foster home or being re-homed (she was a very difficult girl to get under control). My big guy never enjoyed traveling by any means so he was more comfortable to be watered and let out frequently.

Once we got to our new place and our furniture was there they felt more at ease about their new surroundings.

Good luck OP whatever you all decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
I flew my cat from CA to Houston. A few tips:

Get a direct flight

Fly the cat inside the cabin with you NOT in cargo! For that, you need to make a reservation for the pet inside the cabin. Most airlines only allow about 2 animals per flight, so make reservations early

Fly first-class, the room under the seat is larger

You can get special cages that are FAA approved to fit under airline seats. I found one at PetSmart, just look around

Realize and budget it will cost you, but its a one-time expense and your pet is worth it! To take the pet on board will cost extra, I paid $80, it could be more now, check into

The special cage cost about $50+

The upgrade to first-class cost more, but worth it, the cage rally won't fit under the economy seat

Old 07-05-2016, 11:57 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Question: Why are you worrying what might happen 6 years down the road (in 2022) from now? You may need to assess what is best for each of the pets at that point.... not 6 years in the future.

I agree. A LOT can happen in 6 years. Seriously, even asking this now is ridiculous.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Question: Why are you worrying what might happen 6 years down the road (in 2022) from now? You may need to assess what is best for each of the pets at that point.... not 6 years in the future.
OP sounds kind of young, and is probably very excited about the move.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:25 AM

775 posts, read 776,194 times
I brought a cat from the UK to the US in the early 90's. No choice but cargo. She did fine, and also on the connecting flight. We later moved to another city and drove, she did great. It is more complicated to bring an animal in from another country, they need to have records and vaccinations. And each animal travels differently.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:39 AM

496 posts, read 411,474 times
I would drive with them. Stop often for potty breaks and exercise.

Make reservations at pet friendly motels ahead and make sure you get a ground floor room that opens directly outside or get a room as close to a side or rear door as possible. This is a life saver! You want as direct a route as possible with all of the pets and their stuff. Also makes is easier for potty runs with the dogs.

Be prepared and be patient. Take any fave blankets or treats etc, but be aware that they may be upset and not eat as much as normal, especially the cats. Our dogs don't love travelling but they handle it ok, the cat not so much.

Do your dogs bark a lot? If they do, consider bringing a fan for white noise, keeping the tv on etc. In a motel full of strangers some dogs will bark more than they normally would.

I have moved 3 times with a cat and twice with dogs. We all survived but it takes patience and extra planning.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:41 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
With 8 pets to transport, I would drive them.

Unlike advice from everyone else here, I would never let the cats out of their crates. Use a crate big enough for a litter box and a cuddle bed and once the cats go in and are placed into the vehicle, they don't come out until they are in their new home, with all exits secured so they can't escape.

To fly, which isn't a terrible option because it is quick, each person can only take one carrier into the cabin. So a person must fly with each individual pet. That makes it an expensive way to move the animals. The bigger animals would have to go into cargo if they fly.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 PM

33 posts, read 21,820 times
Driving might actually be a fun experience. That's a nice little road trip and would be pretty scenic.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My friend is a pilot for one of the large airlines. He is also an animal lover. He told me he would NEVER fly any of his animals.

He is absolutely correct ! Never, never, never. You wouldn't believe the things that happen in that HOT cargo hold.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I am transporting my four senior dogs from Boston to Colorado next spring. I have a pet transport person/friend who brought two of them to me from the South, and those two will go in her car. The other two are Velcro dogs with me and I will take them. We will sort of convoy and meet up for breaks and motel. My main fear is the one shy dog escaping in a panic attack, and she came up from the South with the transporter.

I have had adoptees flown in from Utah from Best Friends on Delta (or whatever Delta is called now). It's the only line they used and all went well, although of course I worried.

Yes, the transporter from Boston to Colorado will be so expensive. So is the whole move, for that matter. I'm not trying to cut any corners on this move.

I also plan to bring their sort of groady bedding with them so they'll feel at home in the car, motel and new house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues