U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM

9,902 posts, read 3,247,706 times

Advertisements

if you live in a dry area you can pour it out across some dirt and the sun will dry it out in a couple of days . The WHOLE thing will just peel off the dirt in one big piece.

That is not only super easy it is super green as it requires zero cat litter or paint hardner and does not even leach...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:53 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,020,355 times
You can also get paint hardener at a hardware store. It's crystals that will harden the paint into a solid block inside the can. Then you can just dispose of it on the curb.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM

6,651 posts, read 18,610,771 times
Well I'm not planning on any move in the future (no need for 6ft under) but what I have done when a part of a Gal is left over (will form a surface crust) so I save old mayo glass jars or similar that has a screw on cap. I label Flat/Gloss etc so can always use as a patch or on a small place. Hate to buy a Qt for a small job.

Problem leaving un used paint in a can is it will spoil so to speak while in a sealed glass jar will stay longer for any need.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,123,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Leave it with the house so the new owner can use it for touch ups...
This is what I did. The new owners thanked me, too!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 PM

2,963 posts, read 2,686,413 times
If it is still good, it is a waste to throw it away.

List it on Craigslist for free. It will be gone in a few hours. It is a good resource. I have given many things away that way to people who could really use them, and got some free paint, too.

Or you might want to try Disabled American Vets (DAV). They run a chain of thrift stores in our area just like Goodwill. The difference is that DAV is less picky than Goodwill about what they take, and they are also more grateful for what they get. If the people at Goodwill had more manners, it would get them a lot more Goodwill. LOL

Or try local homeless shelters and soup kitchens. If they don't need it, they will probably know someone who will, even neighbors, employees, or volunteers of those places.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:43 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Leave it with the house so the new owner can use it for touch ups...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Exactly. And be sure to label it according to what room was painted with it so they know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know it is hard to get rid of unused paint, but when I buy a house, I appreciate the current paint left behind neatly on a shelf, in case I need to patch a hole or fix a scrape.

If you need to throw some out, you can open the can and pour cat litter into it so it dries out. Then it can be put in the trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Well I'm not planning on any move in the future (no need for 6ft under) but what I have done when a part of a Gal is left over (will form a surface crust) so I save old mayo glass jars or similar that has a screw on cap. I label Flat/Gloss etc so can always use as a patch or on a small place. Hate to buy a Qt for a small job.

Problem leaving un used paint in a can is it will spoil so to speak while in a sealed glass jar will stay longer for any need.
All of the above.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 AM

58 posts, read 28,183 times
You can always freecycle it on freecycle.org

Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,550,232 times
I have always left the unused paint with every house I've sold. If you want to simply dispose of the paint, the easiest and safest way is to buy some cheap kitty litter. You can pour the paint over the kitty litter, let it dry thoroughly and then put in your garbage. Once dry, there is no environmental risk from the paint. If there is only a small amount of latex paint in a can, you can let the can sit open and dry thoroughly. The dry paint can be peeled of the can and disposed of.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:43 AM

1,278 posts, read 897,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
So we sold our house with the plan of renting for a year and theN moving south next year. That means we still gotta get out of our current house. In order to put the house on the market, we repainted all the bedrooms, bathroom, and living room. Now my questions is what can I do with the unused paint? I emailed habitat for humanity, but they don't take it shockingly. I would like to donate the unused paint so I can't get rid of it so it's less to bring when we move. Any ideas ? ( we live in Hudson valley, NY State)
get a large canvas, and do some action painting like jackson pollock.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,435,496 times
I agree with everyone who says to leave it with the house. If the buyers like the colors and want to keep it that way, they will greatly appreciate having access to the leftover paint. If they want to change the colors, they can deal with giving or throwing the old paint away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues