U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 10:52 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,369,937 times

Advertisements

So we sold our house with the plan of renting for a year and theN moving south next year. That means we still gotta get out of our current house. In order to put the house on the market, we repainted all the bedrooms, bathroom, and living room. Now my questions is what can I do with the unused paint? I emailed habitat for humanity, but they don't take it shockingly. I would like to donate the unused paint so I can't get rid of it so it's less to bring when we move. Any ideas ? ( we live in Hudson valley, NY State)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 AM

5,055 posts, read 6,009,521 times
Try contacting local charities -- start with Goodwill. They might be able to use it for their own offices. If they can't, ask who might. Maybe a woman's shelter or something has rooms that could use a fresh coat.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,556,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
So we sold our house with the plan of renting for a year and theN moving south next year. That means we still gotta get out of our current house. In order to put the house on the market, we repainted all the bedrooms, bathroom, and living room. Now my questions is what can I do with the unused paint? I emailed habitat for humanity, but they don't take it shockingly. I would like to donate the unused paint so I can't get rid of it so it's less to bring when we move. Any ideas ? ( we live in Hudson valley, NY State)

I actually donated unused partial cans of paint to Habitat for Humanity Restore in both PA and DE. If you have one of their Restore's near you I would stop by to see if they will take it or call the store directly. If they plan to resell it (rather than use it on a job) you may get a different answer than by emailing them.)

Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM

7,166 posts, read 4,163,223 times
Leave it with the house so the new owner can use it for touch ups...

Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,593,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Exactly. And be sure to label it according to what room was painted with it so they know.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:00 PM

650 posts, read 410,517 times
Quote:

x2. Even if they don't end up using it anytime soon and need to get new similar paint, the brand, paint code, etc. is extremely helpful to new owners as they can easily get an exact match at say Lowe's, HD, etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:35 PM

22 posts, read 15,371 times
Quote:
Assuming the next owner doesn't paint the walls any other color(s). I didn't use the colors the previous owner had and promptly changed every wall before moving in. They left their paint and I ended up needing to take it to the local city waste management for proper disposal, which is what I'd recommend the OP do with unused paint. If it's a nearly full container, I echo the recommendation for Habitat for Humanity or even Craigslist.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:41 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I actually donated unused partial cans of paint to Habitat for Humanity Restore in both PA and DE. If you have one of their Restore's near you I would stop by to see if they will take it or call the store directly. If they plan to resell it (rather than use it on a job) you may get a different answer than by emailing them.)
+1

I've seen used paint at their ReStore locations in CO and CT.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:12 PM

1,516 posts, read 969,911 times
My vote would be to leave it at the the house with labels for which room it goes with.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:40 PM

37,088 posts, read 45,594,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I know it is hard to get rid of unused paint, but when I buy a house, I appreciate the current paint left behind neatly on a shelf, in case I need to patch a hole or fix a scrape.

If you need to throw some out, you can open the can and pour cat litter into it so it dries out. Then it can be put in the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues