U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 01:07 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,012,368 times

Advertisements

I wanted to give an update on my recent move of some items from
CA to TN.

I mailed 16 boxes of books media rate, and 9 boxes of tapes/dvds insured media rate and one box of kids toys at regular postal rate.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS AGAIN THROUGH THE UNITED STATED POST OFFICE.

One insured box that was well packed in a brand new box and with bubble wrap when mailed was delivered in a plastic USPS web bag with a piece of the lid with the insured sticker, postage and mailing address. About 1/2 the material was missing, about 1/3 of what was delivered had cracked cases, broken beyond use. I have submitted the insurance claim, but have heard nothing. Hard to prove the purchase when tapes/books/dvds were purchased over time, who keeps receipts for things like that??? The USPS made NO effort to protect something that was originally bubble wrapped and in a box. Seems they sell boxes and they could have put it in a bigger box and at least not break the 1/2 of the material that they did deliver.....and how can they not notice 30 tapes/dvds lying outside of the box???

One box of uninsured books was delivered totally empty. NOTHING in the box, the postal lady said to go to the PO and do a lost report, which I did, but since I can not name the exact books in the box, they likely will not find them. So I wasted money on box, tape and postage, with nothing likely to be found, so I also lost the books I asked for at least a refund of the postage, but they said they have to look for the stuff. Seems they should have noticed the stuff sitting next to the empty box when they RIPPED the top off the still taped box...yes, they ripped the cardboard...

One box left the post office I shipped from but has not tracked anywhere else, and its been a month. It too is not insured, just totally lost. Nothing I can do there. Lost the books, and also the cost of the box and tape and postage SAD situation.

So for the PO shipping, I would not recommend using them again and am strongly against ever using them again! They really do not care. Last time I used them I received everything with out a problem, but not so this time.

BTW, the media rate, media rate with insurance and regular ground payment did not influence when the packages were delivered--all were spread out over a week.

1800PACKRAT -the drop off, delivery, pick up went perfect, and all the stuff was fine inside, not much movement. I do like their product!

BUT they did add on a fuel surcharge that was outrageous, not mentioned by the lady selling the services, and in tiny print at the end of the contract. So I would not recommend them for their sneaky tactics to make a few extra bucks...oh and the diesel rate surcharge--it was based on if the price of diesel fuel was nationally over $1.50/gallon, like that low of a price has been seen in the past decade, so its not to protect them from an unexpected price increase, but a gouge to the customer.

BTW, I placed this order less than a week before the container was delivered, and the final unloading and pickup was 3 weeks later, all my activity was completed in less than a month after placing the order--so they pretty much knew the cost of fuel when I placed the order. This was NOT a situation where the order was placed months ahead of time, or without a firm delivery date so they do need to protect themselves from fuel price increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM

7,052 posts, read 4,087,933 times
That sucks. We used Media Mail and Amtrak shipping for our move and it was an excellent and very cheap experience. Our media mail boxes were opened for inspection but taped back up well.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,374,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That sucks. We used Media Mail and Amtrak shipping for our move and it was an excellent and very cheap experience. Our media mail boxes were opened for inspection but taped back up well.
I agree.

I have a small book-selling business and i use Media Mail with the USPS for all my mailings. Have never had a problem. One guy said he didnt receive his, but the address was wrong.

I do know that packages can have problems here and there because i worked there for 19 years. Sorry to hear of the bad experience.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
Indeed that does suck.

I have had nothing but excellent luck using media mail USPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues