U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 PM

538 posts, read 1,657,446 times

Advertisements

I cannot imagine up and moving without an job or prospect of one even if I was single and childless. We are planning a move to the East Coast with 3 of our 4 children (one is in college) but it is a career move for my husband and we have researched the area for 2 years. We are trying to stay in an area that won't be so different from where we are now, a suburb,good schools, nice community. We have decided to give it one year and we I'm sure will know if we are going to want to stay. If we absolutely hate it my husband can transfer back out her and my daughter will still only be a senior in high school. We waited for our first daughter to graduate and start colleg before we even considered moving. I think if you don't have a family it could be possible but with kids forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 AM

430 posts, read 1,151,391 times
Oh gosh, been there done that. Grew up in Michigan and had a really good job there...visited Tucson one Easter and fell in love with the place. Less than 8 months later we had sold the house, packed up the van and drove out. Didn't take us long to find jobs, stayed with his folks until we got our house and I've been here ever since....moved out here years and years ago....even got divorced here and still never moved back to Michigan.

Remarried and have just bought a place out in Missouri, never lived there before but "visited" and fell in LOVE with the Lake of the Ozarks.....will be leaving Tucson in a few months!

Ozark Nana

Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM

193 posts, read 347,643 times
I'm getting ready to do just that when my house sells. I have no job lined up but with the proceeds from the sale of my home I should be able to buy one outright thank goodness and with my strong work ethic things will fall into place even though I plan on working in a totally different industry.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 711 times
I moved from Memphis to Minneapolis with my three children and we did fine. I had $60 to my name and the lord on my side! I say pray about it and just do it! You have only 1life to live. The kids will be fine! ;-)

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM

60 posts, read 134,444 times
I'm from MI too...planning on doing that in a few weeks actually. BUT, I have family to stay with once I get there until I get on my feet. I CANNOT WAIT!!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM

701 posts, read 1,528,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I have often day dreamed about just picking up and leaving Michigan on a whim.
Lots of folks have done this. Some more successfully than others Read The Glass Castle for one woman's story of growing up with wandering parents.

Why do you want to leave Michigan? Winters? People? Want to live near the beach? What is calling you to leave?

How does that stack up against the security of staying?

We did this years ago. Moved from Alaska to Minnesota on a bit of a whim. Started by saving up money by cutting our expenses to the bone. Got rid of all our stuff so the move was easier. Found a nice town and settled down for twenty years.

Economy was better then, jobs easier to find. But it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues