U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was your reason for moving?
Family 6 7.32%
Job 20 24.39%
Weather 19 23.17%
Other 37 45.12%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:24 AM

392 posts, read 196,390 times

Advertisements

1. Family

2. Job

3. Weather

4. Other / Retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 AM

791 posts, read 434,497 times
Depends on the situation - if it's referring to the first time I moved, it was a decision my mom made, because she wanted to be closer to family/felt we would have more opportunities in a big city.

But if it's about a potential move (that would happen in a few years), it's because I'm not fond of the weather where I'm currently at.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM

759 posts, read 415,754 times
Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA in 2011.

Job market sucked there... is quite good here.

The weather is an added bonus. No more hot humid nasty bug filled summers... I love the mild PNW climate. Cloudy winters are fine too!

Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM

1,726 posts, read 3,125,774 times
I moved just 3 miles away last year because I wanted a nicer house that unexpectedly came on the market, and could afford it. It cost more than my prior home, but it is my dream house and has everything I always wanted all of my life. Finally after many years I could afford a house like this.

So, I voted "other".

Tha move before was for a job.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:07 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,094,831 times
With latest move to WA state from OH...weather. But more than just that. Environment in general. Beautiful scenery, hiking in the mountains, visiting the coast, or just putzing around town. But yeah the low humidity and more mild weather here was definitely a draw over SW Ohio's hot muggy summers.

I took the same job with me. Most of my family has moved down to Florida.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:27 PM

651 posts, read 1,785,395 times
I've moved for both weather and job. When I lived in Portland, Oregon the constant gloom and grey really irritated me. I like sunshine, and so I moved to Florida. Once I got to Florida I realized that for the majority jobs in the Eastern United States don't pay as well as jobs in the Western United States. I moved to Las Vegas, Nv. Now I have plenty of sunshine, and the jobs for the most part pay three to four more dollars or more on average per hour.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 AM

4,496 posts, read 3,880,628 times
So many.

Better school for our daughter - ky had terrible schools. Higher pay - hubby is making $35k more here. Weather - I laugh every December when ky is at 0 and we are in the 50s. Closer to family - his parents are now a 2 hour drive away instead of a 2 day drive. And the beach - I love having the beach.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 AM

718 posts, read 682,127 times
I voted weather, but really I'm looking for a big change (adventure), different places to explore, and a slower pace to life. I don't prefer our cooler and cloudier weather (had it my whole life). I also no longer enjoy being in such a crowded city.

It may be that I end up with more of a fondness for home, but I need to take that leap to find out. West coast to East coast - opposite of what most people seem to be doing these days!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM

413 posts, read 226,177 times
I voted Other.

The stars aligned.

*I got a promotion at work which requires me to travel more.
*I am single, no kids. Plan to keep the no-kids part as is.
*Tired of spending my weekends in my single family yard picking weeds and doused in bug spray.
*New construction happening right down the street - turned in one day to take a look-see.
*2 car garage townhomes. Just beautiful. HOA community.

I was so anti-HOA when I bought my single family home 15 years ago. Now? I get it. My neighbor across the street thinks cinder blocks around (dead) flower beds are awesome. And apparently they hold up her POS car well too as we are going on 4 years now. Don't get me started on the strung holiday lights and dead Xmas tree still on the front porch. And the one light blue shutter that doesn't match style, size or color to the others.

So do I want to pay $125 a month for lawn care, a pool and assurance my neighbors won't have a deflated Santa on their un-mowed lawn all year round? H*LL YES!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 AM

13,782 posts, read 18,694,469 times
I voted other because in ten years I will be moving back to florida when my husband retires and we can go where we want when we want and when we come home we can go over to the kids house which will be less than an hour one way and an hour and a half to the other kids house . I miss the state parks there . They are really great we don't have any kind of decent state parks where I live now and it still snows here on occasion and I don't want any snow at all or temps of below 40. The only reason we moved here hubbys job transferred him here and we took it to get out of minus O winter temps . we can wait we will get a good price for our home when time comes and get a condo and not have to worry about mowing grass anymore LOL .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues