U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 PM

145 posts, read 313,867 times

Advertisements

Moving from Los Angeles to Austin, and I was wondering if someone can give me some common sense to the below questions?

1. What's the best way to approach moving from one apt to another? Should I move out of my current apt, drive to Austin, get a hotel, and proceed with moving? I've already done the scouting and all, and have an apartment locator (or whatever they're called) who'll help me get a place.

2. The biggest issue that comes to mind is changing addresses. I have a business that's registered under my home address, and I receive tons of mail. Ain't nobody sending that stuff to me once I'm in Austin. What's the best way to go about this?

3. All the furniture in my apt, which is very minimal, is worth less than it would cost to move it with a moving service (got a quote of $3-4k). Should I just sell it?

I know it's all noob stuff, but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing or forgetting something. Any advice is really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 AM

16,416 posts, read 26,140,557 times
1. Find a place to live before you move there. Find a place close to where you'll be working that has good reviews online. The reviews are a almost always spot on, if there are a lot of bad reviews, dont go there even if it seems nice. If there are all good reviews, chances are it is good. Try to sign with the shortest possible lease upon moving in, even if it is slightly more expensive. You will not want to move twice. Make sure you're leaving LA and arriving in Austin to an place to live, not a hotel.

2. Mail forwarding is simple, just go to the post office.

3. Sell it, give it away, buy when you move into your new place. Furniture can be picked up very cheap on craigslist, especially in a place like Austin.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:07 AM

145 posts, read 313,867 times
burgler, thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it. So you're saying I have to fly there, find a place, fly back, and then drive there again? I was thinking more along the lines of getting a hotel/AirBNB and then find a place. Seems like less hassle. Are there any pros to the way you suggest doing it? Why is it bad to live in a hotel for a while?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
Why is it bad to live in a hotel for a while?
Because sometimes it can take 30 - 45 days before you can move in somewhere. If you have a cheap hotel or money for that, cool.

Another problem: some places may not rent to you if you don't have a local job. If you own your own business, you'll have to show papers for that.

You might avoid all this is you are just sub-letting from a student. That's one case where you might be able to find a place and move in the same day. It depends on what you're trying to rent.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM

16,416 posts, read 26,140,557 times
Quote:
burgler, thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it. So you're saying I have to fly there, find a place, fly back, and then drive there again? I was thinking more along the lines of getting a hotel/AirBNB and then find a place. Seems like less hassle. Are there any pros to the way you suggest doing it? Why is it bad to live in a hotel for a while?
Like the other posted said, it could take more time than you're thinking.

Air bnb is actually a good route if you can find the right person.

Contact the people via messages on airbnb and ask them what they would charge for monthly rent.

Don't pay daily like a hotel for extended stays on airbnb. Work it out with the landlord and if they don't want to, move on to the next.

Don't throw money around if you don't have to.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM

24,763 posts, read 23,720,795 times
You can't move anything or change your address until you have a place.

You can change your address online at the USPS site.

*You can rent storage, but why bother. If moving your furniture is going to cost more than it's worth, get rid of it.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:55 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You can't move anything or change your address until you have a place.
The OP could also pay for a private mailbox, like Mailboxes and Such or other company. The USPS isn't the only game in town.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 AM

24,763 posts, read 23,720,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The OP could also pay for a private mailbox, like Mailboxes and Such or other company. The USPS isn't the only game in town.
I hadn't thought of that because I've never been in that situation. It's always interesting to learn these things from fellow C-D members. Collectively, we know absolutely everything.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,325,486 times
Quote:
Moving from Los Angeles to Austin, and I was wondering if someone can give me some common sense to the below questions?

1. What's the best way to approach moving from one apt to another? Should I move out of my current apt, drive to Austin, get a hotel, and proceed with moving? I've already done the scouting and all, and have an apartment locator (or whatever they're called) who'll help me get a place.

2. The biggest issue that comes to mind is changing addresses. I have a business that's registered under my home address, and I receive tons of mail. Ain't nobody sending that stuff to me once I'm in Austin. What's the best way to go about this?

3. All the furniture in my apt, which is very minimal, is worth less than it would cost to move it with a moving service (got a quote of $3-4k). Should I just sell it?

I know it's all noob stuff, but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing or forgetting something. Any advice is really appreciated!
1. If you already have a general idea of where you want to be and what you want, you don't need to scout anything else. Your apt locator can get you into a place immediately. They will give you options on who is available for you to move in as soon as you finish the paperwork. If you have something completely specific in mind, that's going to have a wait, THEN get yourself a long term stay hotel if its going to be more than a few days. No need to pay extra to fly in and scout around, and live in a hotel then.

2. EASY, put your mail on hold, and have it forwarded when you get your address, you can do it online. If you need it immediately, The post office should be able to forward to the MAIN post office and you can do a "general delivery". Third and personally by far the best option, if you know about where you want to be, get yourself a mailbox, pay the $10-$15 a month, and have it all go to a new address before you leave. You should be able to do that online, through USPS, UPS, or other mailbox store.

3. If you want to keep it, keep it. That sounds like a real high quote for an apts worth of furniture. If you cant take the essentials in your vehicle, You should be able to get a 1 way trailer rental (if your vehicle can tow) for 3-5 hundred dollars. A one way box truck rental, (uhaul, ryder, Penske) should be less than $1000. Even if you cant do the loading/unloading you can higher guys locally to load the truck for a few hundred bucks, and then higher locally to unload when you get there. If you have some stuff and don't want to drive it, Uship.com is what I always recommend; just box it up, or strap it to a pallet. (they will pick up and do door-to-door).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues