U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,070,961 times

Advertisements

Why are you still driving a newer car and even more so why do you have a car? You must be making car insurance payments along with buying fuel. So you must have some income somewhere. In this day and age you don't even need a car to get around. There is the bus and taxi and bicycle lanes - all much much cheaper than owning a vehicle.

First thing I would do is sell the car and put the few thousand dollars in a bank account. Get a bank card and some checks with your account number and your name on them. No credits cards, at least not yet.

Now that you have money prepare yourself for a life on the higher road toward being a functional member of the community and be self-sustaining.

Make a deposit and pay a couple months rent in advance on a modest apartment far away from the neighborhood you are in now. Go for a one room suite with kitchenette and it's own bathroom. Select a place where you can easily walk to the supermarket, department store, doctors, dentists, etc. Go get a checkup at the doctors, get your teeth fixed, eat a healthy diet and prepare your own meals. Stay away from dining out or ordering in meals.

Learn to ride a bike and buy a cheap one. It's a way to get places when you want to without having to pay anything for the transportation. Try out the police impound about their bike auction.

Take the high road. Guard your money like a miser. Throw out your old clothes (don't keep anything faded) and buy coordinates that will extend your wardrobe but you only buy a few pieces. Go to a nice men's store where you will get personal help with fitting and selecting the right styles for you. Stay away from T-shirts. Do buy classic designs. Get a professional man's haircut and shave every morning.

Now go look for a job. Anything that will at least pay your rent and utilities so that there is no reason for a landlord to evict you. Food and sundres are secondary to shelter. They can be found through community services like food bank, discount grocery stores, and local farmers markets. Make sure to buy fresh veggies and fruits. Limit meat consumption but eat legumes and fresh fish. Don't buy stuff from the corner store.

Keep you and your apartment clean and neat. Clutter, dirty linen, and dirty dishes pull you down. Personal hygiene is paramount to a healthy self-image and when you feel good so do other people around you.

This is good advice. I have pulled myself out of a few slumps in my life so you are getting solutions from someone who has been there, from my own experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:08 PM

1,992 posts, read 1,346,433 times
This person's current plan is to a be a bum. I have my head on straight, and that all sounds overwhelming for me to try.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
That's why I don't feel sorry for unsuccessful people in this country. They're just lazy.

We work hard and pay taxes to support bums who "hate working"

Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM

15,728 posts, read 26,762,482 times
So I have read a couple threads now from the same guy.

To the OP: You claimed in another thread to have a college degree. In what discipline would that degree be in?

You also claimed in another thread to have a job delivering Pizza and other things. Not sure how much you work now but have you thought of getting two or three jobs? Anything to make a full pay check. You are in the LA area. Not sure what the rent is down there but couldn't you find a room to rent where it is just you in the room? I am betting if you were working more jobs you could pull it off.

As far as living in your car. I have known people to do that. Had a friend growing up that lived at the beach near us, not in a house, he lived on the beach. Used the bathroom there. He was going to Ventura College at the time and he would go to school, work out, shower at the school, go to class. When he was done with class he would work and then to save money sleep on the beach. He did not have much but he pulled it off.

To tell you the truth if I was single and did not have any kids I would be living at work. I would live in my van and save all my money and I make a nice pay check.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 PM

427 posts, read 379,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So I have read a couple threads now from the same guy.

To the OP: You claimed in another thread to have a college degree. In what discipline would that degree be in?

You also claimed in another thread to have a job delivering Pizza and other things. Not sure how much you work now but have you thought of getting two or three jobs? Anything to make a full pay check. You are in the LA area. Not sure what the rent is down there but couldn't you find a room to rent where it is just you in the room? I am betting if you were working more jobs you could pull it off.

As far as living in your car. I have known people to do that. Had a friend growing up that lived at the beach near us, not in a house, he lived on the beach. Used the bathroom there. He was going to Ventura College at the time and he would go to school, work out, shower at the school, go to class. When he was done with class he would work and then to save money sleep on the beach. He did not have much but he pulled it off.

To tell you the truth if I was single and did not have any kids I would be living at work. I would live in my van and save all my money and I make a nice pay check.
I don't deliver pizza. I work on and off for a good delivery app that is popular here, whenever I can get a shift.

Because you asked, my degree is toilet paper. I haven't done anything with it since graduating two years ago. All it ever was was a ticket to grad school. I am not a very intelligent person (my IQ is only 104) and it was a huge struggle to just get that degree. I often was at the edge of my sanity spending hours and hours just write a one paragraph abstract or a two page paper. I only got good grades because my professors knew how I hard I worked and how little of it came natural.

As to why I've been fired multiple times, I don't know. Twice they stopped giving me shifts or calling me in altogether. Another time, serving at a Japanese restaurant, I didn't last past the trial period. Can't say I don't blame them because I didn't want to follow the cumbersome Engrish (not English) script they gave me and went for a more natural, comfortable. Because of how short term my jobs have been, I have nothing to put on my resume for the past two years.

So yes, I've given up. I do not fit in anywhere and I would like very much to be left alone.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 07-06-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 09:52 PM

1,134 posts, read 617,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I don't deliver pizza. I work on and off for a good delivery app that is popular here, whenever I can get a shift. So yes, I've given up. I do not fit in anywhere and I would like very much to be left alone.
Look into SRO housing if you haven't already. Supposedly they are pay as you go, no deposits. Get on GA or SSDI. They exist for situations like yours. Did you say you already have a medical person helping you? If so you're ahead of the game. Use your resources.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 AM

43,205 posts, read 41,812,025 times
OP, you've known for a couple of years that this scenario (living in your car) would be a possibility, and when you were talking about moving to LA said you were fine with it.

So here you are.

If you keep quitting jobs, you won't make enough money to pursue those artistic dreams you used to have. It sounds like you need to see a doctor ASAP.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 779,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I don't deliver pizza. I work on and off for a good delivery app that is popular here, whenever I can get a shift.

Because you asked, my degree is toilet paper. I haven't done anything with it since graduating two years ago. All it ever was was a ticket to grad school. I am not a very intelligent person (my IQ is only 104) and it was a huge struggle to just get that degree. I often was at the edge of my sanity spending hours and hours just write a one paragraph abstract or a two page paper. I only got good grades because my professors knew how I hard I worked and how little of it came natural.

As to why I've been fired multiple times, I don't know. Twice they stopped giving me shifts or calling me in altogether. Another time, serving at a Japanese restaurant, I didn't last past the trial period. Can't say I don't blame them because I didn't want to follow the cumbersome Engrish (not English) script they gave me and went for a more natural, comfortable. Because of how short term my jobs have been, I have nothing to put on my resume for the past two years.

So yes, I've given up. I do not fit in anywhere and I would like very much to be left alone.
You sound like you will fit right in in a government job.

Anyhow. Take whatever job you can get. Live in your car and save money.
A guy I know did just that. He got in trouble and spent 6 months in jail for fighting when he was drunk. He was an engineer working for a millitary contractor and lost his clearance because of the conviction so couldnt work there anymore.

He sobered up and got a job making minimum wage then got another then another. He was working 4 different jobs and sleeping in his car at wallmart. One of the jobs was at that same wallmart cleaning the floors at night. He got better and better jobs and after 2 years had saved $60k.
He bought a rig to clean restaurant grease ducts and dit that along with his other jobs until he had enough customers to quit his jobs one by one. 4 years later he had 7 trucks doing the same business and lives in a 500k house.

Your success depends on ho hard you want to work.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM

420 posts, read 231,007 times
I decided one day to just stop working. So now I lay around in bed or on the couch, I eat ice-cream for breakfast and start drinking at 11:59 every day. Oh, and of course I binge watch Netflix.

Then that dream ends when my alarm goes off. I get up, shave my legs and off to work I go.

You know the saying, "You get what you pay for". I pay for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home in a rural community and I'm able to budget for new cars and steak dinners. I studied hard and got a job that affords me that luxury. Other people work harder than me and have bigger houses and more expensive cars. Which is great! But for me I work just hard enough to give me what is good enough. I like being a productive member of society.

And you are getting what you pay for.

I do understand the desire to be alone and if the only way you can do that is by living in your car, then do it. I'm not sure if the General Moving Issues forum is going to give you solid advice about flophouse vs. car though. Although, I do like the "sell the car for a van" idea. Or one of those conversion type vans. They look shady but very functional.

And maybe you just aren't ready to work and be in the "real" world. That's ok -- but you have to be content with what comes along with that decision. If the car thing doesn't work out, find another hostel/flophouse.

Or what about government assistance? I know of a Section 8 family that lives in a pretty damn nice place.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:33 AM

12,480 posts, read 4,220,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
I decided one day to just stop working. So now I lay around in bed or on the couch, I eat ice-cream for breakfast and start drinking at 11:59 every day. Oh, and of course I binge watch Netflix.

Then that dream ends when my alarm goes off. I get up, shave my legs and off to work I go.

You know the saying, "You get what you pay for". I pay for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home in a rural community and I'm able to budget for new cars and steak dinners. I studied hard and got a job that affords me that luxury. Other people work harder than me and have bigger houses and more expensive cars. Which is great! But for me I work just hard enough to give me what is good enough. I like being a productive member of society.

And you are getting what you pay for.

I do understand the desire to be alone and if the only way you can do that is by living in your car, then do it. I'm not sure if the General Moving Issues forum is going to give you solid advice about flophouse vs. car though. Although, I do like the "sell the car for a van" idea. Or one of those conversion type vans. They look shady but very functional.

And maybe you just aren't ready to work and be in the "real" world. That's ok -- but you have to be content with what comes along with that decision. If the car thing doesn't work out, find another hostel/flophouse.

Or what about government assistance? I know of a Section 8 family that lives in a pretty damn nice place.

I agree that he should get a van, but screw the government assistance thing!
People need to work!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or