U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 PM

380 posts, read 765,254 times

Advertisements

I moved from PA to Florida and I have noticed such a difference in my attitude now that we see the sun for more than 3 months of the year. My husband and I are happier and we are able to enjoy being outside much more. It also feels good not to get that deep feeling of dread when summer was ending, just knowing that winter and snow and dreary days were coming. We have two young kids and definitely miss the help that family would have provided. We also regret that they are not as close with our family as they would have been if we were close by. However, we have adjusted and I would not ever want to move back to PA. It feels so good not to be depressed anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
... It feels so good not to be depressed anymore.
yes, this
exactly.

i lived in the Pacific Northwest for close to 20 years, and it was not until after i moved away and began living in a place where I saw the sunshine on a near daily basis, that i realized how much better i felt in every area of my life: physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. It was, well, like the sun coming out.

i had never really known anything different than a near constant level of depression and heaviness, which i took to be normal, because, well, i'd never really known much of anything else. yes it is a gorgeous area, yes my garden was beautiful and the flowers and tress and scenery and camping and kayaking and hiking wonderful.....(although looking back it is not normal to camp in the rain, and yet even that was the norm, camping in the rain. ugh)

.....but it just is not a healthy long-term way for me to live, in all the grey and damp, seeing the sun for only about 3 weeks per year.

anyway, i could never live there again. i go back and visit, and have family there, but i just could never live there again. there is something very basic and simple and healthy and necessary about getting sunshine on a regular basis, that no amount of special lamps or beautiful nature can address.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 954,991 times
Why not compromise and look at places like Medford or Grants Pass? Medford is a decent sized city, the climate is a nice (imo) compromise for you and your husband will still be within a reasonable distance to family (4 1/2 hours), and it's only 30 miles from the California border. Granted it's another 700 miles to Los Angeles from the border, but there IS an airport in Medford.

Climate data for Medford (avg hi/avg low/avg precip):

Jan: 48/33/2.42"
Feb: 54/34/2.01"
Mar: 60/37/1.71"
Apr: 65/41/1.38
May: 73/46/1.3"
Jun: 82/52/.62"
Jul: 91/57/.28"
Aug: 91/57/.4"
Sep: 84/50/.57"
Oct: 70/42/1.13"
Nov: 53/36/3.01"
Dec: 46/33/3.49"

Just a thought

Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 AM

18,192 posts, read 9,435,921 times
Leaving family is tough but your family of husband and child supersede other family connections. Wife and I are approaching retirement and I was sick of the PNW weather and looked at possibly moving to a warmer sunnier climate. We did consider Medford as an alternative which would basically reduce the cloudy/gloomy weather compared to Seattle or Portland. We decided to move to eastern Washington which is sunnier, cheaper, and not too far from Seattle....but then again, we don't have to be near a job location.

It seems like you need to try to come to agreement with your husband. Socal is expensive and their economy is less dynamic than Seattle so you are looking at a likely reduction in financial lifestyle. We also looked at Phoenix which gives you sun, decent economy and very inexpensive. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 903,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Why not compromise and look at places like Medford or Grants Pass? Medford is a decent sized city, the climate is a nice (imo) compromise for you and your husband will still be within a reasonable distance to family (4 1/2 hours), and it's only 30 miles from the California border. Granted it's another 700 miles to Los Angeles from the border, but there IS an airport in Medford.
That's what I was going to suggest--exploring southern or eastern Oregon, which have good climates, are less expensive than CA, and would still be close to your family.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:01 PM

759 posts, read 415,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinsomniac View Post
Could use a big ol' pile of advice from less biased people:
I've lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life, and for as long as I can remember I've always hated the weather here. My husband and I grew up in Oregon and now live in Seattle for work his purposes, but we've grown to hate Seattle and would like to relocate. As you can imagine with my feelings towards the dreary NW weather I'd like to live somewhere warm, and I've always wanted that to be southern California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Oh how I feel your pain!! I've lived in Seattle my entire life and I'm desperate to leave, but my husband loves it here. I'm still pushing, however.

The damp dark cold here is so hard on me. Waking up to cold cloudy weather everyday in July just makes me miserable. By the time the sun comes out, I feel like I've already given up on the day. Yes we don't have freezing cold winters, but they are cold and dark for a very long time and for some people that is just as painful as 30 degrees below.
I did the opposite OP... I relocated here 5 years ago after 35+ years in southeast Georgia... Savannah to be exact.

You want warm? Consider it.

There's 2 seasons there... summer and almost summer.

Electric bill is very expensive because your A/C will run 24/7.

You can take a shower and walk outside and instantly be sweating because the humidity is brutal.

The bugs will carry you away for 9 months out of the year.... gnats and mosquitos.

Right now they are in a stretch of 13 straight days of 96+ with a heat index over 100 and brutal humidity that is par for the course.

Go spend a week there and you'll love Seattle's mild climate and summers where you can actually go outside and enjoy yourself instead of having to hide inside in A/C because the weatherman is reporting dangerous temps.

Sun is overrated... I got enough of that in the south. I'm fine with the cloudy winters. The summers are pretty decent here. If I needed sun 365 days a year I'd have moved to California.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM

176 posts, read 119,019 times
Please don't come to California. It's expensive and the schools are terrible. Depending on what your husband does, he might make less money and you will have the higher COL. Unless you're working in Aerospace or Entertainment...jobs don't pay so great here. Also, taxes are super high. We have 9% sales tax, just like Wa, but add another 10% state income tax, on top of that. Utilities are much higher, as well. (and if you're not in the 10% state income tax bracket, you can't afford to live in the OC. Sorry) Our property taxes are much lower but in the OC you will most likely be faced with Mello Roos.... One income families are rare unless you come from money.

If you think Seattle is expensive? You will be scared of the prices here.

Just go to portland, it will be like SoCal, but with better weather in about 10 years. Just give it time

Old 07-15-2016, 01:43 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,368,613 times
"Californy is the place you ought to be..."

So load up a truck and move to...

Old 07-15-2016, 02:01 PM

718 posts, read 681,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah I understand some people can't deal with the weeks straight of overcast skies in the PNW. But cold? It never got below t-shirt weather for me
I think we can agree that people feel heat and cold differently. It's July and I still wear my down coat in the morning and evenings. I'm wearing a sweatshirt right now. I have friends who sweat while I'm bundled up. So if you are a person who feels cold all the time, this is cold.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM

718 posts, read 681,520 times
Chloe, there are places in between Georgia and Seattle. California, for instance doesn't have the humidity or bugs that you experienced there. That's part of the reason it's so expensive. I want a crazy hot summer, but I would also enjoy a little snow in the winter (not just rain like we've had here for the last 4 years). I just don't want the cold dark season to be 8+ months long and I crave feeling warm for awhile. CA is too expensive and crowded for me, but if it's what the OP wants, it would be good to try it for a bit. Maybe it would work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or