U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,326,087 times

Advertisements

Talk to your mail carrier and/or your local postmaster. See if they can hold your mail and forward it to you when you are ready for it. They can pack it up and send it to you. I imagine you will have to pay the postage. At that time you will need to do a change of address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:06 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,497,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Talk to your mail carrier and/or your local postmaster. See if they can hold your mail and forward it to you when you are ready for it. They can pack it up and send it to you. I imagine you will have to pay the postage. At that time you will need to do a change of address.
post #1
6th paragraph

postmaster said they will not hold mail for anyone who is no longer a resident

Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 PM

4,372 posts, read 5,568,669 times
I can't give you any additional suggestions for the mail, but I would get absolutely every bill possible onto an on-line payment system, as well as online statements from financial institutions. I know that won't take care of all of the mail, but it might be a substantial (and important) chunk.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM

9,525 posts, read 7,795,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
Well, I contacted a post office in the area where I will be moving and this is what they suggested:

(1) Go to my local post office and pick up a "moving packet." In that packet will be a white card that I need to fill out indicating a change of address. For the "To" address, I am to just enter the "General Delivery" address for the main post office in Colorado Springs.
(2) Once I have purchased a home and have a new permanent address, I need to go back to the post office in Colorado Springs and submit another Change of Address. But instead of submitting this simply as a new change of address, I am to submit this as a change or edit to the first change of address. That will stop all my mail going to general delivery and instead route all my mail to my new home.

I asked about doing a change of address to route my mail to the hotel. The person I spoke to recommended against that, having something to do with the hotel being a commercial address.

Does this all sound reasonable? Sorry if I sound like a putz. Just never went through this before and the postmaster here in my local town has not been helpful.
As one who has moved many times in my 70+ years, that is exactly what I was going to recommend for you to do.
No, I do not and never have worked for the USPS, but the described system has worked well for me several times.
Good luck.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 PM

6,949 posts, read 7,370,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I can't give you any additional suggestions for the mail, but I would get absolutely every bill possible onto an on-line payment system, as well as online statements from financial institutions. I know that won't take care of all of the mail, but it might be a substantial (and important) chunk.

I second this - most of the important things can be received online.

Then I would not tell the post office I was moving but put a hold on the mail and as soon as I arrived at the new spot I would get the PO box and then call the old post office with a change of address. What can they do after the fact - plead ignorance - say you're a blond (I can say this because I am a blonde - keep all comments to yourselves).

This is what I intended to do.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 PM

9,226 posts, read 11,721,012 times
As an FYI, Many regulated service will no longer accept a "General Delivery" address. Some banks, investment companies, insurances, credit cards may suspend mailings while GD is used. You also run the risk of an account being temporarily frozen when they get the electronic address correction with a GD. You should contacting all of these to make sure it won't cause problems.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 AM

8,948 posts, read 8,061,660 times
As some have suggested, go to private post offices. Another excellent solution used by full time RVers as an example.

Contact a mail forwarding service in the town you want to move to. They set you up with an address, and when you want the mail forwarded, you let them know where to forward it. It costs a small fee, but will easily solve your problem.

You can find these services in R.V. magazines very easily.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:43 AM

7,101 posts, read 8,119,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As some have suggested, go to private post offices. Another excellent solution used by full time RVers as an example.

Contact a mail forwarding service in the town you want to move to. They set you up with an address, and when you want the mail forwarded, you let them know where to forward it. It costs a small fee, but will easily solve your problem.

You can find these services in R.V. magazines very easily.
When we moved from Rhode Island to Maine, we set up an account with a FL mail forwarding service. Not every state has them, but the FL ones don't care where you are located, and they are very experienced and just great. You can move one, twice, or a hundred times... they don't care, they will just send your mail wherever you tell them. And if you don't need the physical letters, they will scan them so you can read them right online. They toss your junk mail, too.

Technology has come a long way, and mail doesn't have to be as complicated as the USPS makes it out to be. Just another dinosaur government agency whose days are numbered.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 AM

843 posts, read 739,462 times
You can also try a change of address to a friend/ relative's house. Then let them mail your mail to you in Co. They can weed out the obvious junk mail and put your mail in a large manila envelope. You just need to send them some $ (or leave a couple $50s) to buy postage. You can buy envelopes before you leave. When you are settled, do a change of address online from the friend/ relative's house to your new address.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:00 AM

62 posts, read 30,049 times
Thanks, everyone, for the advice you have provided. I do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues