Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM

696 posts, read 703,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If it were me I would ship the 6th and 9th Graders off to Calf, One of you goes with them live in Extended Stay Hotel, or get a Month To Month "Corporate" type apartment in the feeding area of the Middle/HS they will go to when you move into the Calf House. (Have you closed on the Calf home?, If so live there).

The K and 1st can stay and go to school in IN, while the other parent wraps thing up with the home there, then move out with the little ones to Calf.

The 6/9 will have a harder time catching up with the new school/classes, then the k/1.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
What are your current plans for housing in Calif? Have you rented or bought a home there? If you have a home waiting there, then it makes sense to take the children and get started there.
Otherwise there are good alternatives online Home | K12
You could check for the curriculum in the area where you will be living in Calif. and coordinate the curriculum online with the new school district.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
They don't have Truancy Court in IN?

Parents don't get discretionary authority in these kinds of matters anymore.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
What are your current plans for housing in Calif? Have you rented or bought a home there? If you have a home waiting there, then it makes sense to take the children and get started there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellsindy View Post
We have not closed on our home in CA as we are waiting for our home in Indiana to first.
It sounds like they have a home in contract in CA. At this point, they would probably need to stay at an extended stay hotel or similar arrangement if they choose this option.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It sounds like they have a home in contract in CA. At this point, they would probably need to stay at an extended stay hotel or similar arrangement if they choose this option.
That's not the way I read it. I'm guessing they need to sell there own home first, and don't have anything specific already lined up. Can I ask how far along is the process of both homes??? A month and a half seems a long time if there is a contract already moving along. If you can afford it and its not a big deal, Id say move on out to CA. I would try to get a week out before, and spend a couple days just enjoying the new area if that's possible before school starts.

I wouldn't worry about school supplies until you move, it would just be one more thing to add to the move, and that should be easy after the first day or two to find out what they will all need, then just take care of that together in one quick stop.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:34 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Don't even think about home schooling at this point. Send them to school until you can find a place to stay, pack, and get there. I'm thinking of flyonpa's post. One of you can go ahead with the two older children, but you still may not make the beginning of the school year in California.

Contact the teachers of the younger two (or three) and tell them why you're not prepared. Contact the school about your eldest child and he can explain the situation to his teachers if they didn't get the memo.

Take a deep breath. The whole situation will be history soon enough.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:14 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
You need to start them. Especially for your 9th grader. If a student misses too many days without transfer grades, they are legally counted as audits for the semester, and your 9th grader could lose a whole semester of credit for not being there enough and not graduate with the rest of his/her class. You could call the district in California and see if this is a possibility. In my state, the audit date is essentially 20 days after the start of the school year.The idea of one parent going out with the older children so they can start in the new school is a good one if you are definitely moving. Otherwise if you could wait to move until the start of a new semester that might be better than uprooting them during a school year as well.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Send them.

But as a kid who lived through this, move one out early and start in California.
Funny. When this happened to us, we moved to Westlake Village.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM

174 posts, read 257,714 times
I agree with Flyonpa. As a retired elementary teacher, I would say, from my experience that the younger children will adjust almost immediately. However, the 6th and 9th graders should start school with everyone else on the first day of school for emotional and social reasons. I know it will take extra planning and an added expense, but it will be worth it. These older kids will already be "from a different state", and you don't need other obstacles to get in the way of their adjustment, for example, starting the school year later than everyone else, catching up on assignments, finding friends to hang out with, having a pal to eat lunch with, sitting with a friend on the bus, knowing their way around the school, etc. The inconvenience and the logistics will take some thought and planning, but I think it would be best for the children. Just my own 2 cents.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
You haven't sold your house yet so you are residents and your children must be in school. It's very likely a legal thing due to state funding. You don't have any idea when your house will sell and close...could be weeks....could be months. They need to start school when school starts where you live. You really don't want any legal trouble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues