U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 11:00 AM

506 posts, read 461,299 times

Advertisements

I feel amazingly safe way out here in the boondocks in a gated community with clubhouse, golf course and pool. But do you think it's worth $250 a month? People rarely even lock their doors.
I just don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 AM

13,106 posts, read 17,670,397 times
It depends on what you really get and on what you really use. We were almost seven years in a neighborhood with a pool and fishing lake - I do not fish and will not get in a pool in public.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:24 AM

506 posts, read 461,299 times
I don't do the pool either. The clubhouse is kind of neat in that you call them, place an order, and we can drive up there and pick it up. But due to health issues my husband stopped playing golf. I don't play either. So for me I can only say I feel very safe here. That's about it.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:26 AM

781 posts, read 460,138 times
In a high crime area with physically manned gates and patrols, sure. In the typical gated community with code access, remotes or transponders, anybody can get in and it's pointless.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:46 AM

6,620 posts, read 4,566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I feel amazingly safe way out here in the boondocks in a gated community with clubhouse, golf course and pool. But do you think it's worth $250 a month? People rarely even lock their doors.
I just don't know.

Does that $250 cover the dues of the clubhouse, golf course and pool? Or anything else other than care and maintenance of the gates?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:20 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,967,018 times
That seems reasonable to me. If you feel safe, then it is very, very reasonable.

You may not golf but you have the expanse of green & trees, especially if you are course adjacent.

There may be other groups that meet at the clubhouse which you might be untetstsd in joining. It is nice to have a social outlet close to home, especially one you could drive a golf cart to. I know of several bridge groups, a genealogy group, classic car club, and a group of scrapbookers all meet at golf club houses.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:25 PM

9,523 posts, read 7,782,324 times
IMO, no, it isn't worth it, and I would not live there. I rather imagine there is also a Homeowners Association (HOA) and a book of Covenants, Codes, and Restrictions (CCRs).
We have lived quite well without any of that for many years. I would not buy in such a development!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:29 PM

19,630 posts, read 18,699,644 times
I guess it's worth it if you live in a high crime area and need peace of mind. I saw one in Virginia once that actually had guards standing in a booth--like Buckingham Palace or something, lol. I said at the time that if I had to live like that, I wouldn't live in that area at all. There are safe places to live.

Where I live we don't need gated communities and I don't think we have them anyway. We're out in
the boondocks too.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 PM

5,662 posts, read 4,367,950 times
Yes if amenities are included such as maintaining common areas and pool & clubhouse

Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,808,260 times
Like so many things, it depends. If you are in an area where safety is a concern, it's worth it. Of course it would be more worth it if you used the facilities like pool and clubhouse. In fact I live in an adult community that is NOT gated and I pay 240/mo. But we have indoor and outdoor pools, golf course, clubhouse with over 50 various interest groups. We also have many social events such as BBQs, dances, concerts, potlucks, etc. Some residents here move when they become too elderly to make use of the facilities. I would suggest investigating alternatives and if you can find some other place that meets your needs, a change might be worth it to you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or