Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Atlanta has 4 seasons, Miami is hot and humid 8 months out of the year. Is Atlanta that bad? I've only been twice for short periods of time but I'm trying to think of places that match his requirements the best. Florida has horrible public transit.
Atlanta does NOT have 4 seasons! The city is called Hotlanta for a reason. Not for the snowflakes or changing leaves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 AM

876 posts, read 804,563 times
Your criteria have eliminated all but the large west coast city metro areas. San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle. That's IT! (I'm including the surrounding suburbs of all the cities)

They're the only ones without extremes of temperature and weather, with a nearby ocean, over 500K people.

Come to think of it, San Diego and LA do not have great transportation systems, and are not great towns for walking everywhere.

Washington state has no income tax, but state sales tax is high and COL in Seattle is very high.

You may be shocked with the cost of living in these areas. Rent and home prices have been ridiculous for years.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Your criteria have eliminated all but the large west coast city metro areas. San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle. That's IT! (I'm including the surrounding suburbs of all the cities)

They're the only ones without extremes of temperature and weather, with a nearby ocean, over 500K people.

Come to think of it, San Diego and LA do not have great transportation systems, and are not great towns for walking everywhere.

Washington state has no income tax, but state sales tax is high and COL in Seattle is very high.

You may be shocked with the cost of living in these areas. Rent and home prices have been ridiculous for years.
NYC is well over 500K and has excellent public transportation. Ocean is right there as well. Not cheap to live there though. Nothing that's near the ocean is cheap unless it's a complete dump.

The OP really doesn't have a clue about the COL and taxes. The west coast isn't well known for cheap taxes. If one truly wants cheap taxes, then they're going to have to give up a great deal....like the ocean....deal with whatever weather....

The OP can't have all the things on that list in one place. It simply doesn't exist.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:05 PM

876 posts, read 804,563 times
True NYC has a comprehensive public transit system BUT - the OP doesn't like cold winters ! I think he's looking for the "Goldilocks Zone", but it doesn't exist. At least not for the 99%.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to US View Post
Hi everyone who answered my post

THANK YOU ! Your comments really help us a lot !

About our work: at the moment we work in international company which has sudsidiaries all over the US so our we could live anywhere.
We really love Los Angeles, we've been there twice. It would be THE place to live but we do know taxes are high, cost of living is high, crime is high, public transport is fairly good, weather is amazing and it's a big city.
I think we need to get back in the drawing board and think this all over again.

Thanx again !
I just want to point out that even if your company has subsiderairies all over the US doesn't mean you can just come over and work here.

Your company will firstly have to prove to the US government that a US citizen cannot do the work and then must pay thousands of dollars for you to work here.

Make sure you can make this jump.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:53 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
You need to weigh your criteria and let us know which are the most important to least important to have.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
True NYC has a comprehensive public transit system BUT - the OP doesn't like cold winters ! I think he's looking for the "Goldilocks Zone", but it doesn't exist. At least not for the 99%.
Not even sure where the 1% would find all of the items on the OP's list. Then again if you can afford a mansion on the sea, you can afford someone to chauffeur your butt around so public transit isn't an issue. Very RARE to have public transit by the ocean here since oceanfront is far from cheap!.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:13 PM

6,451 posts, read 6,603,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Closest fit home slice is Houston followed by Jacksonville, FL. Both don't have world class public transportation systems. If you can deal without having the ocean within an hour, Las Vegas.
Houston is horribly humid. Come inland a bit to San Antonio for a drier heat. No great public transportation, but no state income tax, low COL, a lot of house for the money. Can get to beaches at Corpus Christi in a couple hours; about 2 1/2 hours to Port Aransas or North Padre Island.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:20 PM

18,755 posts, read 27,181,960 times
I am REALLY curious what is "the other side of the world"?
As a lot depends on how much of community you actually want to have.
Also, how is that you move? Job move? Family reunion? NIS usually settles immigrants close to relatives.

Ever thought of Seattle area? Ocean is right here or close enough. There is no harsh winter. Area is very beautiful spring time and nowhere as hot and humid as other areas mentioned. I know quite a few folks that ran to here from LA or SF areas.
Mountains, parks, lakes. Green state. Plenty of "big city life" and plenty of "open minded" people either. It's Seattle.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Try looking in these states: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas for warm/hot and near ocean/water (Gulf). Chattanooga, TN isn't near ocean/gulf but there is a river and it is supposedly walkable - inexpensive, probably not. It might have reasonable transportation since it's being touted as a good retirement city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues