U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 11:09 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,959,596 times

Advertisements

People should follow their dreams and their hearts, no matter where that may take them, no matter what age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:33 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,425,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In general, it seems like society thinks that relocation is something that young people only typically do. I am 32 and have relocated five times throughout my adult life so far. It just seems like most people think that by the time someone is in their mid 30's they are settled down, having kids, buying a house and all that hoop-a-lah.

What are some reasons that someone over the age of 35 might relocate, whether voluntary or involuntary? Do you think 35+ is too old to relocate? Do you think if someone relocates over the age of 35, it means that they "failed" at life?
I think that is a pretty broad generalization to make. Society is made up of a wide variety of people with different ideas, backgrounds, beliefs, etc, so labeling 'society' as being any one thing I think is a stretch.

But as far as relocating, I don't see a connection between a particular age and relocating to a new place. People relocate for a variety of reasons and at different ages.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 PM

156 posts, read 109,600 times
Quote:
In general, it seems like society thinks that relocation is something that young people only typically do. I am 32 and have relocated five times throughout my adult life so far. It just seems like most people think that by the time someone is in their mid 30's they are settled down, having kids, buying a house and all that hoop-a-lah.

What are some reasons that someone over the age of 35 might relocate, whether voluntary or involuntary? Do you think 35+ is too old to relocate? Do you think if someone relocates over the age of 35, it means that they "failed" at life?
The correlation between "relocate" and "failed" at life seems to be quite weird! Although I suppose if you used someone like Warren Buffet as a reference for success (been in the same house since about 1978) then anyone who relocates could be seen to have "failed".
People relocate for many reasons; political uncertainty, loss of freedom, better opportunities, adventure, personal safety, lifestyle, etc.
I spent most of my life in southern Africa (relocating many times), now live in the Philippines and intend spending the next few years relocating through Asia and then South America. Total "failure" at life!!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 PM

473 posts, read 323,472 times
It's fine. People hit the marriage and kids point at different times. VERY comforting to be in decent employment when you hit this point and sometimes have to move to get better work. Area just economically depressed and have to move for ANY options can happen. Better than staying in area with lots of big business going under and leaving. Eventually you won't make any money if you remain and some of the employers start to take advantage of employees. More sex harassment, more hostile workplaces and more workplace scams with no unemployment or severances.

Move for the security and rest will just happen if you socialize. Try meetup.com to meet new people when you move...Excellent source of affordable social group information & activity stuff like outdoors, religious, business, dating...

Can be VERY helpful to attend some business networking events before you move. Will give you contacts and good insider information about how new area works.

Would use caution moving if female. Needed to pick most expensive area you can afford to avoid the crime problems and weirdos...Party zone alone and female is scary too often and get attention from drunks or whinos. REALLY HELPFUL TO NETWORK FIRST IF FEMALE AND TRY TO CHUM AROUND WITH SOME OF THE NEW COWORKERS SO YOU CAN FIND OUT THE COMMUNITY PROBLEMS.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:17 PM

40 posts, read 25,505 times
I lived in NJ most of my life, moved to NYC for a job when I was 33 and 3 years later (a couple months ago), finally had the chance to move to a warmer climate (AZ) which I was wishing to do my whole life. I didn't do it sooner because I was afraid I'd miss out on something since most of my family mostly lives in NJ - and the right opportunity hadn't presented itself. I got a new job - in a similar industry and I'm doing what I've always wondered about. Everyone's on a different path in life. You can't compare. I've been in AZ for a month - I'm trying it out. It's a huge adjustment that maybe some people don't want to do later on in life because they're set in their ways or maybe they do want to do because they've had enough of their old ways - this is making me realize I'm not sure where I want to be - but at least I know I'm not "stuck" and am living my life and figuring it all out as I go along.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 PM

4,355 posts, read 5,561,324 times
I imagine that there is a slight downtick in the frequency of people moving in their 30s and 40s due to having families, and not wanting to dislocate their children from schools and other childhood connections. And old people also move less (excluding moving into assisted living or nursing homes) because it is physically hard for them. But in general, I don't think there is much of a relationship between one's age and moving. People do it for a multitude of reasons. Most peoples' lives are punctuated with all kinds of changes and opportunities, some of which may make moving appropriate. I think the assumption that most people don't move after age 35 is kind of strange, actually.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,482,783 times
I did age 53 with 2 dogs why what I could afford to buy with a job also it was hard.

why rent was high so buy which was wise

Old 09-12-2016, 11:04 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,133,696 times
Quote:

I know several people who have relocated after 35, most often for a better job. One friend got a new job across country. He moved and never looked back. He loved California. Another friend moved from Pittsburgh to Texas when he was in his 40's. He started his own business and never came back east. When he retired he moved to Florida and he loved it there too. Another friend in the east also moved to Texas and has now lived there for decades. Why would a move mean failing?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 AM

16,262 posts, read 10,264,987 times
I can't speak for 'most people' but to me, it means someone self-confident enough to follow their dreams. Maybe for a better job, different climate, different culture…..

Last edited by PAhippo; 09-13-2016 at 01:34 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,220,968 times
I think it's silly to think you can't move after 35, or that it implies some kind of failure. People move all the time.

I've always dreamed about moving but after my college degrees got me nothing but debt and a low-skilled, low-paying work, I could never afford to. My dream now is to eventually build a career (I'm about to turn 31, sadly) in a totally different field and eventually be stable enough to move to a warmer climate when my wife and I are in our 50s and our kid is grown up a bit. I don't think it's ever really too late to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues