U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:00 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,709,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
A 48" crate is enough for two cats and a 36" for the other.

Big question though. Make sure you are using a truck that is air conditioned, one you drive and not one that is towed. Where are you moving and what will be the outside temperature while you'll be driving. The truck can easily turn into a furnace for the cats, even if the outside temp is in the 70's.

If you're towing a truck, you might be better off putting the cats into three carriers with pee pads on the bottoms and keeping them in the car with you. At night you can bring a couple of crates into a motel room with you . Let them wander the room and then then crate them while you sleep.
^^This. We've done long distance moves. ALL of our pets were placed into pet carriers....each had their own. The per carriers were put into different vehicles....wherever there was room....NOT IN A MOVING TRUCK!!!! They need air conditioning.

We stopped a few times each day for water and food. We stayed in a hotel one night. The cats were locked in the bathroom with a litterbox. Those poor things were sooooooo stressed! They did not drink, eat, or go potty for 3 days until they were in their new home and things calmed down.

Rent a cargo van? Minivan? SUV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 AM

11,210 posts, read 8,356,190 times
Some kennels will refuse to kennel two cats together and I agree. It's asking for trouble. Cats can be unpredictable when stressed/freaked out.

I agree with renting a car but if it's a big truck, 3 small crates can fit okay.

I HIGHLY encourage you to leash train your cats for the trip. Don't even think of letting them out of the truck without leashes! It's really pretty easy, taken in slow steps.

We moved a cat (and two dogs) from Hawaii to Georgia. Then GA to CT. The cat was a LOT better than the small whiny dog.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,270,712 times
Make sure you chip your pets, too.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:38 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,312,111 times
I (years ago) moved 2 cats (on separate trips) a 1000 miles from Texas to NC. I didn't have a truck, just a car, at the time so they had to be in the car with me. I was the one who needed tranquilizers. Most cats do NOT travel well it seems. And they have a special 'voice' when not happy campers .. cat-erwauling I think is the appropriate word for it. What a nightmare.

Anyway, the first move I tried just an open crate with all the necessary 'amenities'. That was the worst drive of my life. The noise never stopped.

The second move I just used a cat carrier and I rigged up the back half of it to be a soft, dark 'cave'. Much better - cat spent most of her time in there and though she did make noise occasionally, I think she felt much more secure in that smaller space.

Good luck with this. You may want to look into airline shipping but if you don't .. think about 2 small cat carriers with 'caves' built in so they can hide out rather than look out the window like a dog might want to do.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,270,712 times
TELL me about caterwauling on long trips!

Cat cry sounds like WHAAAT??

Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 AM

6,556 posts, read 3,704,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
Sorry to be posting all this stuff, I'm not normally this clueless, but i can't stand not being prepared.

1300 miles. I'm going to get some tranquilizers for the cats (3 of them). But since they'll be in the back of the moving truck I figure I will need enough room for a disposable litter box, food and water and of course a bed.

Two fo these cats might be OK together. they don't cuddle, and they might fight, but with tranqs i doubt it. one HAS to be separated from the other two. no question

So here's my question. is a 48" crate big enough to accommodate two adult cats and the litter/food/water/bed where they could sleep in their own spot? or should I get 3 36 inch crates?

I don't know the best option and i'm 30 days out from the move so I want to order today/tomorrow

Thanks
If there is ANY chance they might fight, I would keep those two separate. Do NOT take chances. No human will be there to intervene. It's unfair to the one who is the weaker one. You owe it to both cats to protect them from physical harm or even fear.

Better safe than sorry. No harm comes, if each of the 3 has his own protective space.

My two dogs will fight. I would NEVER crate them together, even though they might not fight with tranquilizers in their system. It's my responsibility to make sure no harm comes to either under any circumstances. What if the truck breaks down and the tranquilizers wear off? What if one gets upset (moving is traumatic, esp in a truck) and attacks because of the situation, even though tranquilized? Anything can happen with animals.

PLEASE do not crate those two together, since they sometimes fight. Imagine one of them getting the bad end of the fight and lying there in pain or fear or bleeding for hours.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 400 times
Default Moving Cats Cross Country

I moved from Wisconsin to Seattle. In the back of my Honda CRV, I put a wide open puppy crate/cage about 4' X 20". Inside I built a loft in the back (carpeted, about 1' X 20") and made a cushy floor surface for about half of the "floor area" of the crate. I opened the little door at the front and attached a covered litter box (they are like suitcases), so the cats could leave the crate to do their business. I attached a water bottle to the side of the crate (like for guinea pigs---can't remember if that worked) and kept a small bowl of dry food in the crate. I sprayed the inside of the crate or cage with Feliway (feline pheromones, synthetic) 30 minutes before putting cats in cage each time. I brought Feliway infusers into the motel rooms (plug into outlet). Feliway helps calm cats and make them think that they are in a familiar place (apparently). This all worked so well I could not believe it. Prior to this 3-4 day trip, neither cat liked to travel in their carriers to the vet. There was barely a peep/meow the whole trip. I kid you not.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:57 PM

8,665 posts, read 2,705,472 times
Good lord, please do put your cats in the back of a moving truck. Gawd.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:10 PM

965 posts, read 500,690 times
wow...

Do people not read anything but the first post? I think is is interesting when people make comments that are helpful, so that we all learn.

Really annoying to read the same thing over and over after the OP has already learned something constructive, and has changed their mind.

Not to mention that shaming someone who has asked an honest question is just not necessary, much less helpful. And I am trying to be polite.

Last edited by simplepeace; 08-27-2016 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 08-28-2016, 02:20 PM

8,665 posts, read 2,705,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
wow...

Do people not read anything but the first post? I think is is interesting when people make comments that are helpful, so that we all learn.

Really annoying to read the same thing over and over after the OP has already learned something constructive, and has changed their mind.

Not to mention that shaming someone who has asked an honest question is just not necessary, much less helpful. And I am trying to be polite.
I suppose it was just a knee-jerk reaction. I guess I can't even understand asking the question in the first place, no more than you would ask if you could put your children in the back of the moving van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues